cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! 750ti + 230w psu performance issue

fearfromtron
Level 7
Hi guys. I just swapped out my 745 for a 750ti successfully but I have not noticed that much of an increase in performance, and actually crashing in some games with some minor overclock. For some reason, I think that the rig is not drawing power from the 230w psu. I tried unplugging the 180w psu and leaving the other plugged in and trying to boot the system, but it did not start. Vice versa however did start.

I believe I may have missed a step in changing that JDL 3 pin connection onto the left side (the 3 pin thingy) but I was hearing that since the 750ti doesn't need those 6 + 8 pins that I don't have to do that.

Please help
8 REPLIES 8

Yngwe
Level 7
I am definitely not the best person on this board to deal with this question, since I have little experience upgrading the G20, but I am currently in the process of going through a very similar GPU change-out. My 750 died, and I am replacing it with the 750ti.

I ordered and recently received this card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IB9P1KG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It has a 6-pin input, which I do not have the cord for, so I ordered and am waiting to receive one. This card does seem to require the extra power, so I believe (from what I have seen on here) that the jumper change will be necessary.

I should have mine set up and tested over the weekend. If your problem is not solved by then, I will be better able to discuss my experience.

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
o.k what models you have both have guys?

I have a quick install gpu guide if this helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn7wqh1yGLw&list=PLGPC00r4OKjIKWPseJAGvKyfPpV29l8ll&index=3

the only way to know if the gpu needs power is look at the card and seeing if it have pins on the top of the card, if so then your gonna have to put in the 6pin to 6pin power connector and use the 180watt power brick, check the video above and I go through step by step install guide. but let me know your asus models

Welsh Gaming

fearfromtron
Level 7
Thank you for your response Welsh! My asus model is the asus g20aj i3 and 745 edition. I watched your GPU upgrade guide but the question I have is for the 750Ti (no 6pin needed) do I need to change the JDC 3 pin from the right to the left like you did in the video? Because it just seems that the 230w psu isn't giving the PC power because like I said, the computer does not turn on with it plugged in solo, but it will for the 180w?

fearfromtron
Level 7
So I changed the JDL chip but the same thing happens-- It's like the 230 Watt psu is not being identified. It doesn't get hot and the GPU seems like it's throttling. 14 fps on Unique heaven benchmark..

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
if the card doesn't have a power port on the card, then the power it needs is coming from the pci-e lane itself, so you don't need a second power brick or do any of the switchs inside the case, all you needed to do is switch around the cards. the guide is based on a gtx card which need to use the power cables, the switch inside allows the pc to open up the second brick power lanes. are you sorted or still slow?

Welsh Whoopee wrote:
if the card doesn't have a power port on the card, then the power it needs is coming from the pci-e lane itself, so you don't need a second power brick or do any of the switchs inside the case, all you needed to do is switch around the cards. the guide is based on a gtx card which need to use the power cables, the switch inside allows the pc to open up the second brick power lanes. are you sorted or still slow?

Appreciate the response and yeah the card I got was the https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-750Ti-Graphics-02G-P4-3753-KR/dp/B00IDG3IDO/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=U...

I am still experiencing poor performance. 12-20 fps in games where it should be 35+... Sometimes the clock of the gpu locks at 405. Do I maybe need a new processor?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
If you are running 2 monitors with one connected to the onboard vga, just wanted to make sure your nVidia card is set as the primary display, or you may want to disconnect any monitors connected to your onboard vga outputs for now to check this. Hope this helps, but not sure if it will.

fearfromtron
Level 7
I am currently using the Asus VG 144 hz monitor but obviously I'm not expecting to reach 144 fps in most games. However, I am expecting to reach 30 fps in games like h1z1 and I'm just not. I checked for CPU throttling, everything-- I don't know.