cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Woes with a new RVE

TomPP
Level 7
Hi,

New to the forum. Upgraded to a Rampage V/3.1 (from an Asus X79-E WS), mainly to get a board without PLX chips. Cpu is 6850K, ram is corsair 2666CL15 32G, 2x 1080 FEs in SLI, Samsung SM961 boot drive, 4x 840 Pro as storage drives (plus a DVD). Also have a Creative ZXR in x8_4.

Pretty standard. When powered on from cold, boots fine, and works fine for hours. However, i cannot restart it. Not from windows, not from the bios when saving settings.
When exiting from the BIOS, that results in a restart, the board locks up with a code 70. Restarting from Windows, same.

This is with BIOS 3301. Tried switching to the BIOS to came with the board, i think its 31xx series, and that reboots - but that does not detect the M2 drive. Maybe some secure boot magic prevents it from using with a different BIOS?

Any hints before RMAing the board? My experience with Asus support is not good enough to wait and see (X79 was replaced 7 times before i ended up with one that lasted almost 3 years. Not keen on playing lottery - i am after a reliable high-end board.) Got no response from support in 3 days. I had a very good experience with Rampage IV, hope the V will be just as good, and this is just a glitch.

Comments?
8 REPLIES 8

Vlada011
Level 10
7 times replaced board. Looks like today is really lottery with motherboards.
But that's with all manufacturers. If I need to recommend board that's RV10THE.
With her chances to everything work are bigger.

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Do you have any of the ASUS utilities or Intel RSTe software installed?

No. I used stock CPUZ, Asus version of chipset drivers, and the Asmedia USB drivers. Don't have to boot into Windows, if enter the setup, and change a setting or just press reset / ctrl + alt + del on the post screen, same problem. 68, then a minute later 70.

Asus support asked me to clear CMOS, try with one memory stick each. I am not sure if a bent pin can cause a reboot failure, but would work fine on cold boot and 8 hour stress tests?

Coil noise. 3302 BIOS does not work either. Same 68/70 code.

Hey TomPP

Had a situation that sounds similar to yours, check out my thread to see how I solved Qcode 70, perhaps it's the same solution to yours?

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?86458-Cold-start-fine-reboot-yields-QCode-70&highlight=col...

Arkadion wrote:
Hey TomPP

Had a situation that sounds similar to yours, check out my thread to see how I solved Qcode 70, perhaps it's the same solution to yours?

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?86458-Cold-start-fine-reboot-yields-QCode-70&highlight=col...

Sounds very similar. Tried, did not work. First boot (from cold) stuck at 68. Did a CMOS clear. Same. Had to power cycle (remove the cable), to get it to post. No difference. Restarts ends up in code 70.

Thanks for the effort 🙂

TomPP wrote:
Sounds very similar. Tried, did not work. First boot (from cold) stuck at 68. Did a CMOS clear. Same. Had to power cycle (remove the cable), to get it to post. No difference. Restarts ends up in code 70.

Thanks for the effort 🙂

No worries!

For me clearing CMOS, disconnecting mainboard battery and flashing the bios from the bios USB function did not work,
it was only the USB Bios Flashback that made a difference.

I made the mistake of assuming bios flashing and USB Bios Flashback were the same thing. The one that worked involved
turning the machine off, using the Flashback specific USB port and holding down the Flashback button next to the
Clear CMOS to initiate the flash.

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

If this still doesn't work, your problem is more complex than mine and I wish you luck! 🙂

Brighttail
Level 11
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a BIOS chip, which I bought online and didn't need to RMA.

Have you tried the other BIOS and/or completely flash the BIOS with another BIOS version like 3201? I corrected another similar issue by doing a BIOS flash to an earlier version and then upgraded the BIOS later.

Definitely would try the other BIOS first tho.

All that being said the SM961 is newish and i haven't had an issue with the R5VE10. I'm assuming in the BIOS you have under Advanced the m.2 selected? Silly question but just making sure as it helps identifying the m.2 and not relying on AUTO.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Brighttail
Level 11
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a BIOS chip, which I bought online and didn't need to RMA.

Have you tried the other BIOS and/or completely flash the BIOS with another BIOS version like 3201? I corrected another similar issue by doing a BIOS flash to an earlier version and then upgraded the BIOS later.

Definitely would try the other BIOS first tho.

All that being said the SM961 is newish and i haven't had an issue with the R5VE10. I'm assuming in the BIOS you have under Advanced the m.2 selected? Silly question but just making sure as it helps identifying the m.2 and not relying on AUTO.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop