cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme Ed10 + G.Skill 3200 CL14 - Error 33

Erorr
Level 7
I have some major problem with my new system.
After reading fora for tips, even contacting Asus and the memory manufactorer I could not find a solution to my problem.

After the PC ran perfect for one day on default settings, with memory speed on 2166Mhz, I set the memory on XMP and 3200 Mhz as were it is made for.
All went well for 10mins and then I got a Windows crash.

Now I am not able to get past memory POST. I keep getting code 33 meaning there is a RAM issue.
I tryed all buttons on the motherboard, the most important one MemOK! but this does NOT fix the problem, I keep getting error 33.
Also a BIOS flash to the latest version 801 didn't make a difference.

Before I ordered the (in my country) hard to get 3200Mhz / CL14 memory I made sure it was compatible,
and since the exact same part wasn't on the G.skill RAM configurator (the one I bought is just another color so not ..GTZSW as recommended but ..GTZ),
I even contacted G.Skill to make sure it was compatible with the motherboard.

Parts causing the problem:
+ Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme Edition 10
+ G.Skill F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ (64Gb - 3200Mhz - CL14)
+ Intel i7 6950X

I don't have other DDR4 to test the system, and I ordered the memory in another country so going to them to get it fixed isn't easy.
Also the memory availability is very low here.

So I wanted to ask for advice, maybe there is one more step I could do?

What I allready tryed:

- MemOK! reboot
- Clear CMOS by battery for 5mins
- Testing with 2 RAM modules, also 1
- 1 module in the recommended slot, tested all 4 of them
- disconnecting everything except motherboard, CPU and RAM (and PSU ofc.)
- get the motherboard out of the case and put it on the motherboard box, a well known new setup test trick, with cpu, psu and mem in place
- I don't have another PSU but I still have an old motherboard, cpu and ram and atm I am running it with the PSU (the PSU is a Corsair 850Watt)

I don't know of any other options I could try.
I guess I have bad luck with the memory, or is it imcompatible with the motherboard, allthough it should be.

This post also to check / warn for people having or wanting to buy the same RAM.
15 REPLIES 15

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Erorr 🙂

64MB at 3200Mhz is a lot to ask of the IMC on your CPU and may not be able to handle it.
Does the system run OK with just 32MB installed.?
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Hi Erorr 🙂

64MB at 3200Mhz is a lot to ask of the IMC on your CPU and may not be able to handle it.

I can't even boot with a single 16Gb module 😞
Well it ran perfect for a day until I set it to XMP.

Erorr wrote:
I can't even boot with a single 16Gb module 😞
Well it ran perfect for a day until I set it to XMP.

Oh I might have misunderstood you there, my bad.
I thought you were able to boot the machine at stock (2133) speeds.

Please clear your CMOS again, maybe switch to the other EFI and only try one stick - if it still does not boot try another stick and/or move the stick to a different DIMM socket (see the manual which sockets are viable with only one stick!).

If you get it to boot from there, proceed as I posted, if you can't get it to boot you could also try reseating your CPU - sometimes that helps.

Onimax wrote:
Oh I might have misunderstood you there, my bad.
I thought you were able to boot the machine at stock (2133) speeds.

Please clear your CMOS again, maybe switch to the other EFI and only try one stick - if it still does not boot try another stick and/or move the stick to a different DIMM socket (see the manual which sockets are viable with only one stick!).

If you get it to boot from there, proceed as I posted, if you can't get it to boot you could also try reseating your CPU - sometimes that helps.

I tryed different sockets, different configurations (4, 2, 1 stick), I cleared CMOS a dozen times, I reseated CPU, did all I knew of.

Onimax
Level 8
3200 might be a little bit too much for Broadwell-E. (At least that's what I encountered)
Like MeanMachine said, your IMC might not be the best.

Try setting the speed manually - I'd recommend max. 3000 with a 6950X.
Also you might need to tune your VCCSA a little bit.

Also: Don't expect XMP to work plug'n'play just because you can select it. To my experience you almost always have to tinker around manually with XMP-profiles on X99 - maybe the marketing is a bit misleading there...

Hope that helps.

MeanMachine wrote:
Hi Erorr 🙂

Onimax wrote:
3200 might be a little bit too much for Broadwell-E. (At least that's what I encountered)
Like MeanMachine said, your IMC might not be the best.

Try setting the speed manually - I'd recommend max. 3000 with a 6950X.
Also you might need to tune your VCCSA a little bit.

Also: Don't expect XMP to work plug'n'play just because you can select it. To my experience you almost always have to tinker around manually with XMP-profiles on X99 - maybe the marketing is a bit misleading there...

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much for the tip about the amount of RAM and speed, I did not knew about that. It seems the shop where I bought it, nor Asus and G.Skill knew that, you guys are alot smarter ;):cool:
Now I wonder wat memory I should get next, will 3000 64Gb work or should I go for 32Gb to make sure??

I don't know much about OCing to be honest, I did OC in the past but thats a huge difference, then there were only a few settings to tweak, now there are too many for me to handle lol.

Onimax
Level 8
64GB will definetely work, I have a 128GB Kit running atm, the question is just at what speeds.
The moment you select XMP your system is basically running a RAM overclock, that's why you are not guaranteed that it'll work out of the box.

All that is guaranteed to work out of the box is 2133Mhz for Haswell-E and 2400Mhz for Broadwell-E, anything above that solely depend on your particular CPU's MC.

Getting the RAM to work on higher speed though is not that difficult, you just need to have some patience to tinker with some settings.

Basically it's just increasing the Speed, rising VCSSA and/or loosen the timings a little bit in small steps until you are satisfied with the result. 😉

Edit: Did you also try the other EFI chip?
Edit again: Did you check that the DIMM control LEDs light up accordingly? (right next to the QCODE LED) Also what QCODE do you get?

Onimax wrote:
64GB will definetely work, I have a 128GB Kit running atm, the question is just at what speeds.
The moment you select XMP your system is basically running a RAM overclock, that's why you are not guaranteed that it'll work out of the box.

All that is guaranteed to work out of the box is 2133Mhz for Haswell-E and 2400Mhz for Broadwell-E, anything above that solely depend on your particular CPU's MC.

Getting the RAM to work on higher speed though is not that difficult, you just need to have some patience to tinker with some settings.

Basically it's just increasing the Speed, rising VCSSA and/or loosen the timings a little bit in small steps until you are satisfied with the result. 😉

Edit: Did you also try the other EFI chip?
Edit again: Did you check that the DIMM control LEDs light up accordingly? (right next to the QCODE LED) Also what QCODE do you get?

The other EFI chip, is that the one you switch with the bottom right switch? I think so, if so, I switched them indeed a few times to make sure.
The LEDs indicating if the ram module are seated all work, but there is another ram LED next to the big 24pins PSU cable, that is on for less than a second.
The error code i get is 33, according to the manual a memory incompatibility issue.

What i really don't understand is why it worked well for one day at default 2133Mhz, and when i set it to XMP I can't get into BIOS anymore even with MemOK and a cleared CMOS.
Is there some setting changed inside the ram itself? Or did it die?

Onimax
Level 8
Best thing would be if you could get another stick from elsewhere and/or try the stick in another mainboard and/or with another CPU just to make sure. :S

The ram itself can not memorize the settings you setup in the efi and I would be very suprised if all of your sticks died at once.
Code 33 looks to me a like an IMC issue (at least when I interpret the one line in the manual correctly <.< "CPU post-memory initialization").

What you could also try is clearing CMOS one last time, unplugging the PSU hit and hold the power button for about 30 secs then plug in the PSU again and see if it boots.