New ROGer Array ScrappyCocco PC Specs
    ScrappyCocco PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximux VIII Hero
    Processori7 6700k
    Graphics Card #1Msi 1080 Gaming X

Question Bios Erp S4 or S5?

Hi everyone
    I have a new gaming pc, with an asus maximix VIII hero.
    I had read about the erp setting in bios to limit power usage when the pc is off, but there are two options like s4 or s4+s5.
    Can someone explain me the differences between those two options?
    Thanks guys.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

System Power State S4
    System power state S4, the hibernate state, is the lowest-powered sleeping state and has the longest wake-up latency. To reduce power consumption to a minimum, the hardware powers off all devices. Operating system context, however, is maintained in a hibernate file (an image of memory) that the system writes to disk before entering the S4 state. Upon restart, the loader reads this file and jumps to the system's previous, prehibernation location.

If a computer in state S1, S2, or S3 loses all AC or battery power, it loses system hardware context and therefore must reboot to return to S0. A computer in state S4, however, can restart from its previous location even after it loses battery or AC power because operating system context is retained in the hibernate file. A computer in the hibernate state uses no power (with the possible exception of trickle current).

State S4 has the following characteristics:

Power consumption
    Off, except for trickle current to the power button and similar devices.

Software resumption
    System restarts from the saved hibernate file. If the hibernate file cannot be loaded, rebooting is required. Reconfiguring the hardware while the system is in the S4 state might result in changes that prevent the hibernate file from loading correctly.

Hardware latency
    Long and undefined. Only physical interaction returns the system to the working state. Such interaction might include the user pressing the ON switch or, if the appropriate hardware is present and wake-up is enabled, an incoming ring for the modem or activity on a LAN. The machine can also awaken from a resume timer if the hardware supports it.

System hardware context
    None retained in hardware. The system writes an image of memory in the hibernate file before powering down. When the operating system is loaded, it reads this file and jumps to its previous location.

System Shutdown State S5
    In the S5, or shutdown, state, the machine has no memory state and is not performing any computational tasks.

The only difference between states S4 and S5 is that the computer can restart from the hibernate file in state S4, while restarting from state S5 requires rebooting the system.

State S5 has the following characteristics:

Power consumption
    Off, except for trickle current to devices such as the power button.

Software resumption
    Boot is required upon awakening.

Hardware latency
    Long and undefined. Only physical interaction, such as the user pressing the ON switch, returns the system to the working state. The BIOS can also awaken from a resume timer if the system is so configured.

System hardware context
    None retained.

Link: System Power States

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array AKBAAR PC Specs
    AKBAAR PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus Impact VIII
    ProcessorIntel i7-6700k @ 4.6Ghz
    Memory (part number)TridentZ 3200C14 - 32GTZ 32GB
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    MonitorDELL U3014
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Pro SSd
    Storage #2Samsung 840 Pro SSd
    CPU CoolerCorsair H80i GT
    CaseCorsair 250D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX760i
    Keyboard Corsair k70-rgb
    Mouse SteelSeries Rival 100
    OS Windows 10 Pro X64
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC5300

Thanks Chino! very informative

New ROGer Array

Question S4+S5 vs S5

Hey,
    so wich one is better S4+S5 or only S5?
    And is it possible to leave some power on at least one usb port on the asus strix x99
    PS: Im doing the whole erp thing because i don't want to have the rgb led's on my motherboard lighting up my room when shutdown.