cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bios Erp S4 or S5?

ScrappyCocco
Level 7
Hi everyone 🙂
I have a new gaming pc, with an asus maximix VIII hero.
I had read about the erp setting in bios to limit power usage when the pc is off, but there are two options like s4 or s4+s5.
Can someone explain me the differences between those two options?
Thanks guys.
7 REPLIES 7

Chino
Level 15
System Power State S4
System power state S4, the hibernate state, is the lowest-powered sleeping state and has the longest wake-up latency. To reduce power consumption to a minimum, the hardware powers off all devices. Operating system context, however, is maintained in a hibernate file (an image of memory) that the system writes to disk before entering the S4 state. Upon restart, the loader reads this file and jumps to the system's previous, prehibernation location.

If a computer in state S1, S2, or S3 loses all AC or battery power, it loses system hardware context and therefore must reboot to return to S0. A computer in state S4, however, can restart from its previous location even after it loses battery or AC power because operating system context is retained in the hibernate file. A computer in the hibernate state uses no power (with the possible exception of trickle current).

State S4 has the following characteristics:

Power consumption
Off, except for trickle current to the power button and similar devices.

Software resumption
System restarts from the saved hibernate file. If the hibernate file cannot be loaded, rebooting is required. Reconfiguring the hardware while the system is in the S4 state might result in changes that prevent the hibernate file from loading correctly.

Hardware latency
Long and undefined. Only physical interaction returns the system to the working state. Such interaction might include the user pressing the ON switch or, if the appropriate hardware is present and wake-up is enabled, an incoming ring for the modem or activity on a LAN. The machine can also awaken from a resume timer if the hardware supports it.

System hardware context
None retained in hardware. The system writes an image of memory in the hibernate file before powering down. When the operating system is loaded, it reads this file and jumps to its previous location.

System Shutdown State S5
In the S5, or shutdown, state, the machine has no memory state and is not performing any computational tasks.

The only difference between states S4 and S5 is that the computer can restart from the hibernate file in state S4, while restarting from state S5 requires rebooting the system.

State S5 has the following characteristics:

Power consumption
Off, except for trickle current to devices such as the power button.

Software resumption
Boot is required upon awakening.

Hardware latency
Long and undefined. Only physical interaction, such as the user pressing the ON switch, returns the system to the working state. The BIOS can also awaken from a resume timer if the system is so configured.

System hardware context
None retained.

Link: System Power States

AKBAAR
Level 9
Thanks Chino! very informative

Hey,
so wich one is better S4+S5 or only S5?
And is it possible to leave some power on at least one usb port on the asus strix x99
PS: Im doing the whole erp thing because i don't want to have the rgb led's on my motherboard lighting up my room when shutdown.

Marius_Titulesc
Level 7
Thanks for sharing the info guys. Really useful.

MPTraxx
Level 9
S4 is when pc sleep and s5 is shutdown pc I think..... I have enabled both I don't need rgb when I going to sleep....

I spent a lot of time figuring this out so here's the scoop:

S4: Allows you to sleep/hibernate your computer and if the computer ever loses power, it will respect the BIOS setting to power on automatically when power resumes.

S5: Allows you to sleep/hibernate your computer and if the computer ever loses power, it will NOT POWER ON BY ITSELF. You MUST press the power button on the computer case!

So if you want to be able to remotely unplug your computer (using an IP power switch, for example) and plug it back in remotely--or be sure that it springs back to life should you be away from your computer when power is restored, then choose S4 + S5! If you work remotely and remote-in to your machine using, say, remote desktop, this is a must have setting!

timmike
Level 7

yes i can explain you briefly ,

BIOS, which stands for Basic Input/output System, is a critical component of a computer’s hardware that bridges the gap between the operating system and the hardware. Within the BIOS settings, you might encounter the term “ERP-Ready,”

Read this complete article you get it . 

https://www.techradarto.com/what-does-erp-ready-mean-in-bios/