cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer does not shut down properly (but will do so in safe mode)

ChairmanMeow
Level 7
I've seen a couple of posts on this before and none of them seem to have a definitive solution...

My computer has a Maximus VIII Gene. When I shut down the machine, very often (like 1 in 3) after the screen turns off the lights and fans will stay on. It will stay like this for 5-10 minutes and eventually it will either finally shut down or restart itself, which is kind of weird.

I called technical support and they had me try to shut the machine down from safe mode. 7 times in a row it went just fine, so they said it was probably software related. I don't know what happens under the hood when you shut down in windows 10. Does anyone have an actual solution to this? It doesn't seem like it should be this hard...

Also, I had a support ticket submitted via email. PSA: The phone reps are 1000% better. ASUS, if you follow these forums, your email support is total garbage. It took 3 weeks to get back to a "48 hour" response time. All the agent did was issue an RMA. I told him I will not disassemble my computer unless you can give me a specific diagnosis because RMAing a motherboard is an extreme hassle. He ignored me completely and sent me the RMA instructions.

As of now, I will not be RMAing the board because it runs just fine while it's on. It just shuts down weird and so far it just seems like it's something about the OS or software. Any insight would be appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

Eric_F
Level 10
Uninstall AI Suite 3.

Basically, the ACPI.SYS thread locks up (Thread ID acpi.sys+0x1f9c0) and causes havoc with ACPI functions, including sleep/shutdown/restart and just about everything else that ACPI touches. It's due to some sort of conflict that happens when AI Suite 3 is present.

More info in these threads:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?85635-EPU-from-AI-Suite-causes-system-and-compressed-memor...
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?78116-High-processor-usage-on-process-SYSTEM(ACPI-thread)-...

You will lose Fan Xpert, but the BIOS can auto-configure the fans and you can adjust them with a similar graphic setup in the QFAN section. (This is different from the BIOS fan settings section; QFAN works better in my opinion.)
If you have a water pump connected to the motherboard, you'll have to go to the BIOS fan configuration page to configrure that. But the rest of the fans can be set up in QFAN just like in Fan Xpert.
Motherboard: Maximus VIII Hero
Processor: I7 6700K - 4.9GHz OC
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i v2
Memory: G.Skill DDR4-3000 16GB
Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 1721/1860MHz
Storage #1: 1TB Western Digital Black
Storage #2: 2TB Western Digital Black
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
Power Supply: Antec Edge 650 80+ Gold

Chino
Level 15

So AI Suite III is the problem? Why is this still a thing ASUS...

I tried disabling fast boot, which was a previous suggestion and what happens instead is that the computer will endlessly loop on the "Shutting Down..." screen and then blue screen with code 0x9f (DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE). With fast boot on it will not blue screen, just it will do the above described problem. Sound familiar?

Called ASUS and they just wanted to RMA the board. I really don't want to if it's not necessary. If it works fine when it's actually running it shouldn't be a hardware defect right?

Eric_F
Level 10
Turn off Wake-on-LAN in the network interface driver -- That's been known to cause problems.

Unless you're running RAID, there's no need to use the Intel Rapid Storage driver/software and you're better off without it. I do, however, use the Intel SATA chipset driver still.

I run with both fast boot and hibernation disabled, and the hibernation file completely deleted so that Windows has no choice but to either suspend to RAM or completely shut down. The computer has to dual-boot a second installation of WIndows 10, anyway, so it's a bit safer for multi-boot Windows that way anyhow.

If you have a spare drive, try a bare-bones Windows install with just the minimal drivers and no AI Suite / Wake-on-LAN / Intel Rapid Storage. You can probably leave Fast Boot and hibernation on, although it's usually best on desktops to turn it off. Fast Boot still uses the hibernation file. Test for stability in a minimal configuration. If it works OK that way and can sleep/wake/shutdown without problems, then the board probably isn't the problem.

This isn't necessarily an ASUS or AI Suite problem -- other manufacturers have had similar problems with utilities that communicate with lower-level BIOS functions on Skylake platforms. It may be at least partially an Intel problem, combined with subtle changes in Windows. (Gotta love undocumented Windows patches and changes...)
Motherboard: Maximus VIII Hero
Processor: I7 6700K - 4.9GHz OC
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i v2
Memory: G.Skill DDR4-3000 16GB
Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 1721/1860MHz
Storage #1: 1TB Western Digital Black
Storage #2: 2TB Western Digital Black
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
Power Supply: Antec Edge 650 80+ Gold

Well like I said, I booted to safe mode and shut down 7 times in a row with no problems and I never have issues when the computer is on and running. I don't have a spare drive but I'd prefer to be minimally invasive with the debugging. Any reason to believe that's a hardware problem? That's a pretty broad scope of potential issues lol, what made you so sure of AI Suite at first? I'll uninstall it and see what happens today.

Also it seems like it never actually blue screens because the monitor will turn off but the blue screen viewer still shows 0x09 even when that happens, and the computer will successfully reboot by itself. So that's why it reboots on its own apparently.

NemesisChild
Level 12
Let's look at your hardware, please list all of your system components.

Including the make & model of your memory and PSU.

Are you running a fresh install or upgrade of Windows 10? And which build is it?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Chino
Level 15
I would probably do a new Windows 10 UEFI install just to have a fresh OS. Don't install any drivers, programs or Windows updates and test the system as it is. Then start from there.

MAXIMUS VIII Gene
Intel 6700k
32 GB RAM Corsair LPX CMK16GX4M2A2666C16
Corsair RM750i PSU
EVGA 980Ti

It's a windows 10 educational clean install. I have had weird issues with the OS in the past (had to do sfc \scannow and a DISM image repair).

NemesisChild
Level 12
According to Corsair specs, this is a 2x8GB memory set...is this correct?

You're running 32GB. If so it's not advisable to run unmatched sets, even if they are the same make & model.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601