cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5E10 initialization issues ... damaged board?

Bingobongo
Level 7
I have Board initialization issues. When turning on the system it immediately halts with both a qcode and audio alert seemingly related to memory issues. I do have a 4x4 16GB memory kit of Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 MHz (CMD16GX4M4B3200C16) which isn't listed in the QVL published for this board but please read on!

Diagnostic response is:

BIOS Beep: One continuous beep followed by two short beeps then a pause (repeated). No memory detected

QCode: 53. Memory intialization error. Invalid memory type or incompatible memory speed.

Isnt it a bit weird that the bios beep is indicating the system detects no memory installed while Q code indicates that there is memory present but it cant get it up and running due to the various reasons listed for the specific Q code? Reading through the Q code table in the manual states that if the system has no memory installed when powered on, the Q code generated should be 55, contradicting the bios beep diagnostic response!

Diagnostic LED s for memory are off, ie, not lighting up at all. Noticed that the Diagnostic LED s for the PCIe lanes behave strangely too. When system is trying to power on, all 4 light up and then shut off and then only the 4th one comes back on in a blinking state. I have a 980 SLI setup occupying slots 1 & 3. Weird.

Furhter funnyfications with the state of the board .... it does all of the above even with no memory installed at all

I ve done most what I can think of ....

1) Tested each memory slot with each stick individually.
2) Used MemOk! button.
3) Used SafeBoot button.
4) Updated BIOS via BIOS Flashback (to 901).
5) Reseated the CPU and verified the socket pin array and CPU contact surface integrity.
6) Cleared CMOS via all means available, including removing battery and power cord for an extended period of time
7) Varying mounting force of the EKWB Supremacy EVO waterblock

Both the CPU (5930K) and the memory are confirmed working. They both came off my old MSI X99 SLI Plus board where they operated flawlessly.

Is the board a coaster?
4 REPLIES 4

SimondsUnchaind
Level 7
Bingobongo wrote:
I have Board initialization issues. When turning on the system it immediately halts with both a qcode and audio alert seemingly related to memory issues. I do have a 4x4 16GB memory kit of Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 MHz (CMD16GX4M4B3200C16) which isn't listed in the QVL published for this board but please read on!

Diagnostic response is:

BIOS Beep: One continuous beep followed by two short beeps then a pause (repeated). No memory detected

QCode: 53. Memory intialization error. Invalid memory type or incompatible memory speed.

Isnt it a bit weird that the bios beep is indicating the system detects no memory installed while Q code indicates that there is memory present but it cant get it up and running due to the various reasons listed for the specific Q code? Reading through the Q code table in the manual states that if the system has no memory installed when powered on, the Q code generated should be 55, contradicting the bios beep diagnostic response!

Diagnostic LED s for memory are off, ie, not lighting up at all. Noticed that the Diagnostic LED s for the PCIe lanes behave strangely too. When system is trying to power on, all 4 light up and then shut off and then only the 4th one comes back on in a blinking state. I have a 980 SLI setup occupying slots 1 & 3. Weird.

Furhter funnyfications with the state of the board .... it does all of the above even with no memory installed at all

I ve done most what I can think of ....

1) Tested each memory slot with each stick individually.
2) Used MemOk! button.
3) Used SafeBoot button.
4) Updated BIOS via BIOS Flashback (to 901).
5) Reseated the CPU and verified the socket pin array and CPU contact surface integrity.
6) Cleared CMOS via all means available, including removing battery and power cord for an extended period of time
7) Varying mounting force of the EKWB Supremacy EVO waterblock

Both the CPU (5930K) and the memory are confirmed working. They both came off my old MSI X99 SLI Plus board where they operated flawlessly.

Is the board a coaster?

I have the exact same problem, except my build was using slightly different parts. I have got plenty of responses so check my thread out to see if there's anything useless for you. ( https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?86925-RVE10-with-G-Skill-Trident-Z-DDR4-incompatibility )
I just received my RMA replacement Rampage V Editon 10 motherboard after the first one was sent to Asus and deemed "unrepairable". The new motherboard has not solved anything and I'm still getting Qcode 53 along with the blinking PCI-E #4 slot LED. I already fear this replacement motherboard is also faulty and will need to be sent back, hopefully not though.

Avenger411
Level 10
Hey,

Can you test another memory set ? I remember getting Q-Code 53 when i was combining kits. As soon as i would use a factory paires kit it would work. Get a cheap 50$ kit from newegg or somethig. It will most probably prove that the board is alright.

Always check QVL.

Max
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

Avenger411 wrote:
Hey,

Can you test another memory set ? I remember getting Q-Code 53 when i was combining kits. As soon as i would use a factory paires kit it would work. Get a cheap 50$ kit from newegg or somethig. It will most probably prove that the board is alright.

Always check QVL.

Max

G.Skill had the Rampage V Edition 10 on their QVL with this memory kit and other people on this forum have the same spec-ed kits running without issues. I do plan on trying to find some DDR4 ram to try on the board to see what happens.

Bingobongo
Level 7
Bingobongo wrote:
Is the board a coaster?

I'd say it is.

My memory kit is now in the R5E10 QVL from 2016/08/22. After seeing that, I decided to try once more with a newer BIOS but nothing has changed.

After reading what others went through with their boards, I think the only joy I ll ever get out of this POS is cutting my losses and putting an axe through it.

ASUS wont get the pleasure of annoying and insulting me yet again by having me deal with their piss poor support and RMA procedures. One can only feel sorry for those working inside the company that really wants to put out good quality stuff and be proud of their work being dragged down by the apparant idiots in the managment.

Hasta la vista, ASUS.