cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get M.2 Boot Drive and RAID 1 SATA Drives to work together

jyaki
Level 7
Hello,

I have a X99-E mother board with the latest 0801 BIOS and Intel i7-5820K CPU and Windows 7 Pro 64bit. I'm trying to set up this new computer build so it
will boot from the M.2 512GB Samsung 950 PRO, but save all of the data on RAID 1 configured 3TB hard drives.

At first, I noticed that the M.2 950 Pro would keep disappearing from the BIOS whenever I enabled RAID. I was finally able to get the M.2 950 Pro to show
when I disconnected the hard drives and also installed the latest drivers for the M.2 SSD. So now, I was able to successfully install Windows on the M.2 950
Pro and the computer can boot from it normally. But now, when I try to connect the hard drives to enable RAID 1 again, the SATA drives are not visible. I
did a search online and found the below tip:

1. BIOS->Boot->CSM (Compatibility Support Module)->Disable
2. BIOS->Boot->Secure Boot->OS Type->Other OS
3. Advanced -> PCH Storage Configuration -> SATA Mode Selection -> RAID
4. Advanced -> PCH Storage Configuration -> M.2 PCIE Storage RAID Support -> Disable (Enable if not work)
5. F10 saved, reboot and go into BIOS again
6. Advanced-> IRST -> Create RAID Volume
7. Build RAID 1 and keep M.2 as a non RAID member
8. BIOS -> BOOT -> Secure Boot -> OS Type -> Windows UEFI
9. F10 save, and boot to Windows OS

However, I can't find the M.2 PCIE Storage RAID Support under my Advanced -> PCH Storage Configuration? It's simply not there. And I have the latest
BIOS version as well. Also, the hard drives are connected on SATA6G_3 and SATA6G_4.

If anyone can help me, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

Justikar
Level 7
I'm in the exact same boat right now. I just got off the phone with Asus and they say that if you use the M.2, then you're unable to create any SATA raid arrays on the computer. I can't believe something as important as RAID becomes impossible just because you're using a key feature of a high end board.

Please tell me you found a way to pull this off.

JustinThyme
Level 13
With a Z170 board my config as follows
CSM disabled
No changes to secure boot default
Raid enabled, M2 raid disabled, SATA raid enabled, PCIE4 raid disabled
No issues running M2 960 pro as boot device and 2x 1TB 850 EVOs in raid 0.

X99E is discontinued with the USB 3.1 version replacing it.
Looking at the boards architecture the M2 and SATA express share a common PCIe bus and it clearly states "OR"

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Justikar
Level 7
Big thanks JustinThyme, you got me up and running.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Happy I could help!. 😄

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein