cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero | XMP Settings and VCore

taglicht
Level 7
Hello,

first excuse me for my English, this is not my foreign language. I'm from Germany. I got one question and i hope you guys can help me out with this. I just got my new hardware, i7 6700K, Maximus VIII Hero, 16 GB HyperX Fury 2666 MHz. After first Boot everything was set to Default in UEFI and
working as intended. I checked Temps and VCore with AIDA64/HWMonitor and they seemed pretty fine. 24 Degrees in Idle, 49 Degrees under Full Load on all cores with AIDA64 Extreme System Stability Test. VCore goes from 0,7V @800 MHz up to 1.3 @4200 MHz Turbo on all Cores.

Now i set AI Overclock to XMP. From now on the CPU is also running @800 MHz in Idle but with a VCore of 1.264 Volt, wich is the Stock Voltage Set in UEFI for CPU Core/Cache Voltage. This seemed a little bit strange to me so i set everything back to Default.

I noticed, that the board has recognized the correct RAM Settings/Timings even without XMP. So there is no need for me to use this but i would like to know if it is normal that VCore is getting so high in Idle when using XMP Setting. I just want to be sure that my board is fine.

I appreciate your help. Thanks!

With Kind regards,
taglicht
12 REPLIES 12

taglicht
Level 7
Could someone please confirm, that this is normal? I would really appreciate it.

Shakecip
Level 10
In idle shouldn't be that high voltaje. Even if the motherboard recognize the ram settings try to put in xmp, and see how the voltages are. For example i have corsair at 3000 mhz with xmp the cpu is in idle 800 mhz 0.720V and in full load 1,320V and i set manual at 1.210V an now my maximum voltage is 1.215V

As long as i don't use XMP Settings, Idle Voltage is at 0.7XX. This seems to work. But when i use XMP, Idle Voltages stays at 1.264 and doesn't drop. I didn't set Adaptiv with negativ Offset. Could this be the Reason why VCore isn't dropping in Idle when using XMP?

voxstelarum
Level 8
For some reason i'm having the same problem. I'm having a maximus 8 formula with 6700k and corsair 32 gb lpx 3000 mhz and as soon as i enable the xmp the cpu core voltage gets fixed at around 1.25v and it won't go down in idle. At first i thought this is how it should be but then I tried on a asus pro gaming mb and there the vcore drops in idle. So i guess there is a problem with the motherboard/bios

Assuming, that most people buying a ROG Board are going to overclock, maybe ASUS thinks, if XMP Settings are used, not only the memory controller but also the cores and cache of the cpu are going to be overclocked and this is why the "auto" settings don't let the VCore drop in Idle. Maybe i am wrong but as far as i know, most overclockers don't use energy saving options. The Pro Gaming is not intended to be used for overclocking, even if it is possible for sure. Maybe this is why it's working on this board.

Maybe i should say that im using latest Bios 1902.

Terepin
Level 8
Are you using adaptive voltage with manually enabled C states?

Terepin wrote:
Are you using adaptive voltage with manually enabled C states?

No i just set XMP. I left all the other options on auto.

taglicht wrote:
No i just set XMP. I left all the other options on auto.

There is your problem. Set voltage to adaptive and set C states to enabled.