cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RVE10 with G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 incompatibility

SimondsUnchaind
Level 7
Hey guys!

I just finished building my first PC and upon the first boot, I get error 53 (memory failed to initialize...), I cannot get past post and into the BIOS

The Ram I'm using is the G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200 32gb kit (4 x 8gb)
Series Trident Z
Memory Type DDR4
Capacity 32GB (8GBx4)
Multi-Channel Kit Quad Channel Kit
Tested Speed 3200MHz
Tested Latency 16-18-18-38-2N
Tested Voltage 1.35v
Registered/Unbuffered Unbuffered
Error Checking Non-ECC
SPD Speed 2133MHz
SPD Voltage 1.20v
Fan lncluded No
Height 44 mm / 1.73 inch
Warranty Limited Lifetime
Features Intel XMP 2.0 (Extreme Memory Profile) Ready

This memory is not listed on Asus's QVL for the motherboard but on G.Skills website, the Asus Rampage V edition 10 motherboard is listed on this memory kits QVl. Not sure why they would be conflicting.

I'm using an:
Asus Rampage V Edition 10
Intel I7 6850k
Asus Strix 1070
950 pro 512gb SSD
3TB WD Black
Evga 1000w PS

Any help would be much appreciated!

Here's a link to a video if anyone cares : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_qh...ature=youtu.be
46 REPLIES 46

FireRx
Level 11
yeah I did this on my X-79 build and paid for it dearly not following ASUS's QVL . Even though they did work. I would get occasional errors in Windows. See if you can return them in trade for a memory kit that is on the QVL. You'll be much happier in the end. 🙂 I can almost bet you money that mobo is trying to initialize that memory on 1.2v.
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

FireRx wrote:
yeah I did this on my X-79 build and paid for it dearly not following ASUS's QVL . Even though they did work. I would get occasional errors in Windows. See if you can return them in trade for a memory kit that is on the QVL. You'll be much happier in the end. 🙂 I can almost bet you money that mobo is trying to initialize that memory on 1.2v.

I spoke with G.Skill just now and the guy on the phone first, hung up on me when trying to explain my situation, So I called back, got the same guy, called him out (lol) and he then listened. He said they tested the Asus RVE10 board with my specific memory kit, to which it worked for them. I have not yet flashed my BIOS up to the newest version (0901), so he recommended that I do that first and try the ram again. I generally just want the Ram to work so I don't have to deal with shipping the memory for a return and I'd be lying if i said I didnt choose the ram because the sexy black and white look.

Once I flash my BIOS (once I've learned how lol), I will report back my findings.

FireRx
Level 11
yeah it's pretty easy to flash the bios, I just did a few hours ago. just make sure the UBB you use is formatted fat 32. 🙂
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

Praz
Level 13
Although I don't have this kit is is hard to imagine this memory not working with the R5E10. The 3200 CAS14 and 3600 CAS 15 kits I have work without issue.

After updating the BIOS to the current version (0901), I am still having no luck and cannot get past the post with error 53.

I have tried each memory module in the D1 DIMM slot per Asus's recommendation over the phone. I asked as to why this kit would be incompatible for any other clues but was told "because its not on the QVL"... so not sure where to go from here.

When It stops on error 53. An orange LED illuminates the left of the tiny white switches, Specifically the switch #4. Also, an LED lights up near the ATX power supply labeled RAM_CD (probably because RAM is in the D1 slot)
DRAM light
PCI-E lane lights - this part troubles me because I have nothing plugged into the 4th PCI-E slot

santz76
Level 8
when using quad channel sticks make sure they are slotted in the GRAY slots only, dimm slot A1-B1-D1-C1. these kits will definetlly work as i have 64gb, fyi i believe they are 1.35v ram

santz76 wrote:
when using quad channel sticks make sure they are slotted in the GRAY slots only, dimm slot A1-B1-D1-C1. these kits will definetlly work as i have 64gb, fyi i believe they are 1.35v ram

Could you tell me your Memory Kits product code? Just got off the phone with Asus support and he said that the Trident Z RAM lineup is for only the Z170 chip set; I know that's not true..

Also, the blinking PCI-E lane 4 light pictured above is either because my PCI-E lane is broken (out of box) or the board is having a grounding issue.

Currently tearing everything out of the case to build on a box to test for grounding problems.

follow this maybe u need to manually set your voltage in bios to get the 3200 i had to with mine but this should help!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW6gBneg3VA

santz76 wrote:
follow this maybe u need to manually set your voltage in bios to get the 3200 i had to with mine but this should help!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW6gBneg3VA

My problem currently is the the fact I cant even get into the BIOS. The motherboard wont go past post :(.

Per Asus tech support request, I pulled apart my PC, and built it test bench style on the motherboard box to test for any grounding issues and I'm still getting the blinking PCI-E lane (#4). The Guy on phone (Asus tech support) thinks that my board is faulty and that there is no problem with the RAM.

Still unsure as to why the board would be getting the RAM error 53 but with a faulty PCI-E lane but oh well. Hopefully Ill be able to get an exchange at NCIX canada and move on with this build.

I will continue to report back my findings

EDIT: NCIX exchange is a no go. Over the 30 day period by 4 days. Time for an RMA