cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5E E10 & Corsair DDR4 Memory Issues?

Psychor
Level 7
Just built a new machine. Specs here: http://www.thedigitalfoundry.com/pc.html. Running the latest Asus BIOS.

I created a bootable UEFI USB stick with MemTest86 V7.1.

With BIOS set to default the PC will freeze at pass #2.

With memory set to XMP I get a ton of errors and then the PC will freeze at pass #2.

I tried testing each stick individually by using the motherboard dip switches. Same exact issue each time. Any idea what could be going on?

Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15

Psychor
Level 7
Looking for some help from ASUS.

No matter what settings I use for my memory, even downclocking it, I can't get MemTest86 to not lock up on test #2. Thinking it could be the app I tried the same USB stick with MemTest86 on my X79 machine with 16GB of DDR3 and it ran just fine passing 4/4 tests.

Could bent CPU motherboard pins cause this in any way? I didn't notice any issue with the pins, but I'm at a loss.

RepOGer
Level 7
what are the rev of this memory kit? were it single-sided or double-sided?

RepOGer wrote:
what are the rev of this memory kit? were it single-sided or double-sided?

Version 4.24 is printed on the sticks. This is the RAM: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/dominator-platinum-series-32gb-4-x-8gb-ddr4-dram-3200mhz-c16-memory-kit....

RepOGer
Level 7
have you tried BIOS 0601?

Raja
Level 13
Clear CMOS and update to the latest UEFI build. After that, if you still get crashes when XMP is applied, report back (assuming stock speeds are okay).

-Raja

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Clear CMOS and update to the latest UEFI build. After that, if you still get crashes when XMP is applied, report back (assuming stock speeds are okay).

-Raja

Hi Raja - thanks for jumping in. I'm a long time ASUS user. In fact my trusty R4E is what I'm currently using to type this.

One of the first things I did was update the BIOS to the latest release. I also tried clearing the CMOS with the rear switch.

If I let the BIOS determine my memory speeds I can sit at the BIOS all day long, but test #2 in MemTest86 causes the system to lock up and the screen freezes. Selecting XMP in the BIOS sometimes results in my system locking up and the screen freezing while in the BIOS. Running MemTest86 results in errors and then a lock up and a screen freeze. I posted images of this above.

jrmcdou wrote:
I have always had issues with XMP on Asus boards. The settings seem too aggressive. When setting them manually I get no issues. Seems like when the strap and or cpu voltages are too high I would get the issues with memtest failing. Set your strap to 100 and see if the issue goes away.

Selecting XMP results in a STRAP of 100. No go. Thanks.

FireRx wrote:
Check you voltage setting in Bios also. this is a 1.35V kit. 🙂

I tried manually setting memory voltages to 1.35V in the BIOS. I also manually set timings. I also tried running the RAM at much lower frequencies. No go. Thanks.

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
If you already have an OS installed, try HCI Memtest instead or Google Stressapptest for Linux.

Menthol wrote:
Psychor, super nice system you have put together
As Chino said memtest86 is not the correct test to run on DDR4 platforms, either of the 2 apps he suggested is the new norm for memory testing, you may have to adjust a couple other voltages to run this memory at the XMP rated speed
Read the overclocking guide here http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/06/17/broadwell-e-overclocking-guide/ for a better understanding
Anything above 2400 mhz is overclocking per Intel specs, have you set your system up before installing the sound card and any other add on pcie cards or USB devices
I have a very similar system but with GSkill memory kit that runs fantastic, you should add your hardware to the system spec list so there is a drop down that everyone can see without having to link your specs, it makes it easier for someone helping

Someone told me on another forum that there is a DOS version of HCI Memtest that I can run off of a USB boot stick. But I can't find it for the life of me. Any ideas?

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Test one modeule at a time through the grey slots. See if it still happens.

I used the RAM dip switches on the motherboard to test each stick individually. Same issue. That's why I don't think it's the RAM.

jrmcdou wrote:
Do you have any other ram you can test on the board or know someone that does to verify whether it's the board or the ram? Otherwise you can buy a cheap set of DDR4 memory to keep around for troubleshooting purposes. I have extra parts for every component in my system so that I can quickly troubleshoot any issues.

I wish. It would make life so much easier. I'm tempted to pick up a slower pack of Corsair DDR4 or maybe try some GSKILL.

Regarding running GSKILL on X99, I thought that you had to run Ripjaw with the X99, but evidently there is now a TridentZ quad-channel 3200Mhz pack on the GSKILL site. Under the QVL list it lists the R5E.

jrmcdou
Level 10
I have always had issues with XMP on Asus boards. The settings seem too aggressive. When setting them manually I get no issues. Seems like when the strap and or cpu voltages are too high I would get the issues with memtest failing. Set your strap to 100 and see if the issue goes away.
Rampage VI Extreme bios 1503
Core i9 7980XE @ 4.4ghz all cores
64 gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600
2x RTX 2080 Ti FE NvLink/SLI
2x Samsung 970 Pro 1tb NVME
Corsair AX1600i
Corsair 1000D case
1x Dell U3818DW 38" Curved Ultrawide and 2x Dell S2716DG 27" 1ms GSYNC 2560x1440 144 hz
Win 10 Pro x64