cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Edition 10 - QCode 40 & Fans & LED

Crash55
Level 8
I looked in my case while it was running I see the that QCode display is showing 40. What is this code? It isn't showing in the manual.

Also since I only have one CPU fan I hooked a case fan up to the second CPU fan connector.
While playing a game ((4 hours of Civ V at 4k res) I started hearing a fan spin fast for a few seconds.
When I got out of the game the CPU was showing 49C.
The fan is in the top of the case (blowing out) so I can't easily reach other fan connectors except water pump and high amp ones

Also there is an LED between the USB3 connector and the SATA ports. I don't see this one in the manual. It appears to be always blinking.
6 REPLIES 6

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Q-Code 40 can be found in the included manual. Wake from S4 sleep state.

The CPU_OPT fan header is slaved to the the main CPU fan header.

The LED shows drive activity.

Praz wrote:
Hello

Q-Code 40 can be found in the included manual. Wake from S4 sleep state.

The CPU_OPT fan header is slaved to the the main CPU fan header.

The LED shows drive activity.

Thanks. Where in the manual is Q-Code 40 listed? I don't see it in the table on page 1-19

So if CPU fan_opt is slaved should I get an extension cable and take that fan down to one of the Chassis fans connectors?

Qwinn
Level 11
It's on the last page, page 1-33. For some reason, that short list of codes (and those only) are all prefaced with 0x, making it easy to miss them.

QCode 40 isn't a problem, really - it just means you've recovered from sleep, otherwise it's pretty much equivalent to AA. Odds are your Windows has Fast Startup enabled (it's the default setting, and the Anniversary Update turns it back on even if you had it off previously), which really just converts a full shutdown into a hibernation state. Your shutdowns will take a lot longer but your "boot" will be quicker. It doesn't affect restarts. I personally don't use Fast Startup because I believe in the magical healing powers of the occasional cold boot - if your memory was corrupted in any way during a session, that corruption will be preserved in the hibernation state. I also dislike long shutdowns about as much as I dislike long boots - and the shutdowns, at least on my system, are much longer than a true cold boot usually is.

Crash55
Level 8
OK thanks. Yeah I didn't look at the ones that said 0x-

I just upgraded to Anniversary edition so I will need to look at that. I don't like hibernation for just the reasons you list. I want everything fresh and clean when I start.

Would it be OK to use the water pump header for a chassis fan or should I get an extension cable to take it all the way to the chassis fan headers at the bottom of the case?

Crash55
Level 8
OK thanks. I laready orderd a fan extension cable since they were so cheap. It wound up being one of the GPU fans as opposed to the chassis fan that was making the noise.
Somehow the fan had been turned off in the software so it was only turning on when the GPU temp hit its limit. Hopefully I now have that fixed.