cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone sucessfully installed w7 on pcie ssd and m8f or any other z170?

Minsekt
Level 7
ive been trying to install windows 7.
the things i do:
enable csm support, select windows uefi for secureboot
prepared w7 on usb and dvd
intel 750 series 32/64bit drivers on a second usb pen drive and on another sata ssd.

if im using the usb method, its booting, but i cant see the intel 750, so im loading the driver from either usb or ssd but it doesnt work to load the driver and i cant see the intel 750.

if im using the dvd method, driver wont load from usb but from the sata ssd. install works fine altough it takes forever (i dont remember it taking that long, (like 20min to just copy files) but i havent installed windows from dvd in years so that might be normal.)
after the first boot everything works fine. but once im rebooting i cant boot anymore. tried to repair the EFI partition but it just wont work

using "other OS" on secure boot doesnt help either
what could be the cause of it?
12 REPLIES 12

Nate152
Hi Minsekt

That's strange it worked until you rebooted, what happened to the boot order when it didn't boot?

If you did a UEFI install "windows boot manager" should be set as boot option 1.

Minsekt
Level 7
the boot order doesnt change at all, in fact i unplug every other ssd/hdd. windows boot manager is always option 1

Nate152
Hmmm, you might want to get with Intel on this.

They have a live chat and could help you right away if they're online.

Click Intel Solid State Drives (SSD) in the list near the bottom right then click live chat.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@3

Minsekt
Level 7
ill give it a try, thanks nate

Menthol
Level 14
I have Win 7 on an Intel 750 on my M8E Rig, It's been awhile but I don't remember having any trouble
Like you said, CSM Enabled, secure boot has to be Other
OS DVD from a USB DVD drive, motherboard disk in a SATA DVD drive (Win 7 doesn't have the USB drivers needed, and this will install them automatically during), Intel NVME drivers on USB drive

Menthol wrote:
I have Win 7 on an Intel 750 on my M8E Rig, It's been awhile but I don't remember having any trouble
OS DVD from a USB DVD drive, motherboard disk in a SATA DVD drive (Win 7 doesn't have the USB drivers needed, and this will install them automatically during), Intel NVME drivers on USB drive

i will try that tomorrow! thanks

Menthol wrote:

this method worked altough i had to load the nvme drivers from another ssd because it wouldnt load from usb. (i can select it but theres an errorprompt once the driver is loaded)
but now the bootmanager is on another ssd. the board also gets stuck at qcode A9 the first time i start the pc, at A9 i press reset and then it will work fine. anyone knows how to fix this? the boot manager is on c: according to easybcd. but in bios the only boot manager is on samsung 850 pro.

Menthol
Level 14
When installing an OS only have the drive your installing the OS to connected , that's the only way I know of to make sure no files are installed on another drive

Menthol wrote:
When installing an OS only have the drive your installing the OS to connected , that's the only way I know of to make sure no files are installed on another drive

thats what i used to do, but i cant load the nvme driver except from the ssd. found a guy on youtube with the same problem on the M8F. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzIUPcgAgK0
but it looks like theres no other way around, i tried different usb sticks too. kinda weird, at least its working now.