cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Light switch wakes PC

sldayo
Level 7
Hello,

When the computer is sleeping and I flick the light switch on the wall to turn off the ceiling lamp, the computer wakes up. It also frequently wakes up on its own, maybe seconds, minutes or hours after I put it to sleep. I find my computer is awake every morning lately.

I have problems with reliably reproducing the issue. It seems to occur very frequently when one specific USB device is connected (external numpad); much less frequently when everything but the numpad is connected; maybe even less frequently when nothing (except the WLAN antenna and power cable) is connected.

The issue persists with a different power supply. Loading optimized default BIOS/UEFI settings do not help.

The thing that I can think of trying now is to replace the motherboard (RMA or try a different model). Before I spend a lot of money on that, I would like to ask for assistance here first.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide!

Software/Hardware

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro; latest updates; activated

Motherboard: Rampage V Extreme
UEFI version: 2101
Overclocking: None

CPU: i7-5960X
RAM: CT2K8G4DFD8213 (16 GB)
GPU: Radeon HD 7970
PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power PRO 10 850W
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB
USB device(s): GVDV-KEY01
3 REPLIES 3

Avenger411
Level 10
Hey!

I'd say, if your computer is connected via an etherner cable, try disconnecting it. I've seen a couple times routers sending packets that would wake the computer. Worth a try.

Max
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

Thank you for your reply!

Ethernet cable does not have to be connected to reproduce the main issue (wake when flicking the light switch for the ceiling lamp).

Maybe it can help reduce the frequency of "unprovoked" wakes, so I have now disabled waking for all devices, including Ethernet. Another quick test did however show that it made no difference for the main issue.

Sldayo - I sincerely doubt that there is anything wrong with your motherboard - sounds more like what you are experiencing is the product of EMI. It doesn't take much to trigger a wake from sleep - on dry days when I build up a little static walking on the carpet as I approach my machine, I can trigger a wake from sleep by simply waving my hand over the case front. If it really bothers you, I suspect its going to take some effort to effect a fix. Be sure your PS is well grounded to the electrical mains supply, case and motherboard. Isolate the power supply with a UPS. Try dressing your cabling - sometimes 'sloppy' is better than having everything neatly bundled. Check out that light switch - it may be arcing enough internally to be causing the issue. Are you switching a standard incandescent bulb, or something that potentially generates some EMI/RFI? Is the bulb loose in the socket and causing some arcing? It may take some detective work, but in the end it's just physics 😮