cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

980ti temp limit

Janne-71
Level 7
I don't know which category to write this so i just write here. I am using msi afterburner with my 980ti. At first i set it core +87mv (max) and power limit 139%(proritized). Core clock +170, memory clock +400. It kept crashing often while playing mirrors edge catalyst.

After awhile i set temperature limit 84 to priorized instead of 139% power limit, and the crashes stopped. It still seems to run at 1550mhz while gaming so not too bad. I am thinking the crashes were because the temp got too high because i didn't prioritize the temp limit.

So the question is, at what temperature 980ti starts crashing in games? And do you think i am right about the games crashing because too high temperature?
11 REPLIES 11

Nate152
Hi Janne-71

The temp won't cause your games to crash, it will throttle down when it hits 80c-82c is all and if it's getting that warm you should crank the fan up.

What's causing the display driver crash is your core clock overclock, try backing it down a notch or two. You can increase the memory clock until you get artifacting with flashing dots and triangles then back it off a notch or two until it stops.

My ROG Matrix Platinum 980 Ti tops out at 1512MHz on the core at the very most, anymore than that and the display driver crashes. Even if you have to back it down a couple notches you're still faster than mine. 🙂

Janne-71
Level 7
Well strange thing is, i had core clock +150mhz when the crashes happened now it is +170hz and it seems stable, only thing i changed is i prioritized the temperature limit...and doing so the power limit dropped automatically from 139 to 109. But i still saw it using +114% power and didn't crash today.

Well perhaps due to higher power limit core clock just got too high and it crashed....

Nate152
I still think your core clock is a little too high, but if it can run at 1550MHz without crashing that's pretty amazing.

1500ish MHz is generally the max the for the 980Ti give or take a few MHz so if you have to back it down a few notches it's not a big deal.

I have my fans running 100% when temp hits 60c.

Janne-71
Level 7
Yes it does run 1550mhz while playing atleast according to msi afterburner graphs, i will keep testing and if it's stable i keep it that way. Highest temperature seems to be 74c so not too bad.

Nate152
Yeah that's great, you shouldn't have any throttling with 74c.

Nice overclock ! 🙂

Janne-71
Level 7
Oh, i've read some people only use overclocking gpu profile only when playing, i'd rather keep it on all the time, clock is only 135mhz when idle so no harm right?

Nate152
Nope no harm at all, I have mine set to apply the overclock settings at start up too.

Janne-71
Level 7
I decided to back up a little with cpu overclock, dropped from 4.6 to 4.5 and voltage to 1.3 to 1.28, and cpu temperatures dropped 5c under load from about 70c to under 65. 0.1 MHz doens't make much difference i think. But the gpu overclock seems stable +150mhz, i was just playing bioshock infinite 40 mins and clock seemed to run at 1555mhz and 72c max temperature.

Nate152
That's awesome !

Were you able to get any more out of the memory? You should be able to get +500MHz and maybe a little more.

I did a little testing with doom with the my 6700k stock vs overclocked to 4.75GHz and there was maybe a 1 FPS second gain. You should have got about 10 FPS with your gpu clock speeds. 🙂