cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do You Use RamDisk and RACache?

Not_Enough_Rage
Level 11
Does anyone use RamDisk and RamCache software? I don`t know to much about these programs, but I read in my manual that they can speed up loading times and extend the life of an SSD.
How much space do you give yours for each program?
9 REPLIES 9

Brighttail
Level 11
I have played around for both.

RamDisk is good program if you don't restart your computer and you have extra ram. It will help load times of many programs and I used it for maps and such which helped.
RamCache did really help with some load times and increased the speed of my SSD and M.2 drive until I decided to put my M.2s in RAID 0. At that point it actually slowed things down.

So RamCache is good if you are looking for some extra speed and help with some writes to the SSD.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Qwinn
Level 11
I really wanted to like ROG RamDisk, but if I recall correctly it's primary flaw is that it can't run a volatile ramdisk (meaning, when you shut your computer off, everything on it just disappears). It *has* to be imaged to permanent storage (do correct me if I'm wrong, last time I played with it was well over a year ago), which provides no benefit at all if you're just putting your browser caches on it like I am.

I use SoftPerfect RamDisk 3.4.7 for a volatile ramdisk for my browser caches. I also had windows temp files on it for a while, but that causes some problems such as Windows Troubleshooters won't work. So it's just browser caches now.

I really don't trust ramdisks for any kind of data that you can't afford to have wiped by a crash or power loss, because obvious.

I just made a 20 Gb ramdisk out of my 32 Gb fast ram:

Going to try running a few games off it at some point.

Still have 12 Gb left over for everything else which is plenty.

3200 Mhz @ 13-12-12-24 timings.

I tried ramcache next, I think I actually prefer this instead:

Because it makes my C drive and anything stored in my cache much faster.

I was playing around with the RamCache, and it caused my Fallout4 game to not even load. I think it even caused some other problems, so I stopped it and the game loads and plays normally. Before I blame the software, I think the problems I was having may because I did`nt assign enough memory. I had it set for 2500MB. I didn`t try to increase it before I stopped the program.
The RamDisk I have not tried it yet. Don`t know much about it yet.

I am using RamDisk

ChiefZeke
Level 10
I'm using a RAM drive - 8Gb drive of 64 Gb available - use it for Temp and Tmp folders plus IE Temporary Internet Files - have had no problems
Lian-Li PC-A77F Full Tower case
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1200 ATX12V & EPS12V PSU
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 X79
Intel Core i7-3960X 3.31 LGA 2011 CPU
Intel RTS2011LC Liquid Cooling Solution
Kingston KHX24C11T3K4/32X (quad 32Gb memory kit) 2 each
ASUS Radeon HD7970 DirectCUII 3Gb GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (two in CrossfireX Mode)
Western Digital Cavier Black 2Tb SATA III 6.0GB/S
OCZ Technologies Vertex 4 SATAIII 6Gb/s 512Gb SSD

I use 16 GB of my RAM memory! I recommend that you use mainly for games !!

I am usingRamDisk. Good program