cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JZ "no active partition found"

FXmAniac
Level 7
Hello

I have read through the forum and did found some topics with a similar problem, but none of them helped me.

I have been using my G750JZ notebook for over 2 years without an issue, but since 2 weeks it started to behave unreliably.

My version is equipped with a 256GB Plextor M6S SSD (Windows 10 Pro installed on it) and 1TB HGST HDD.

The notebook is starting to give me a "no active partition found" message, after the ROG logo, so I can not boot into Windows.
If that happens, and I enter the bios/uefi, the SSD is missing from drive list, as it was physically absent.

I have never messed with bios settings. The problem just started to happen by itself. I have the latest firmware.

The problem happens randomly. Sometimes notebook works fine for a couple of days, then, the other day I can not boot it at all.

I thought it was a faulty SSD drive, so I checked it on my PC through USB 3.0 adapter, and it works fine.

I also installed another SSD to the notebook (new Samsung 850 PRO, system partition was cloned from Plextor drive). It worked fine for 1 day. The next day morning I turned my G750 on and was greeted with the same message "no active partition found".

To me, it seems that there is something wrong with the SATA interface. However I can not understand this. If it was broken, it would not work at all.
Also the second drive, the 1TB HDD, is working fine all the time. Both SSD and HDD drives are connected to mainboard with a common little PCB. If it is broken, then both drives would not work. Am I right?

I am really out of ideas, what could be wrong?

Thanks for any help
8 REPLIES 8

Gps3dx
Level 12
this "odd" behavior might be happening because of some windows update, like a very large "security pack" or edition upgrade ( the win10 anniversary update 1607 ).
To prevent such auto-update in the future, (and only on win10 pro and ent edition NOT on home ed) please see the following guide.

now... about fixing the issue... i hope you got another computer from which you can create an installation disk/USB of windows.
Please see in my sig, my guide on "how to install windows properly", which can direct you how to create such installation USB properly.
after you've created it, boot into it ( using the right method, my guess is if you're using ssd that it is UEFI boot method, read more in my guide ), after the language screen, pick "fix this computer" instead of "install now" -> then pick fix boot issues -> let it run... it might take a while like 10-20 min.
of course your SSD with the OS must be connected prior to that "fixing" step above.

if this step doesn't help, you can still try to fix the boot of windows using CMD, as part of the windows installation environments.
there are numerous guides on the web about the "bootrec.exe" fixing method ( "bootrec /fixmbr" & "bootrec /rebuildbcd" )

logically, you might only deduce after performing such fixes that there might be an HW issue, and in most cases it is with the storage devices not the motherboard itself.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Hello

Thank You for the answer. However my problem is that my two different SSD drives, that I tested, are randomly not recognized in bios, so I can not even install a "fresh" Windows on it.
The problem started before the "Anniversary Update". I will try the bootrec commands and see if it makes the difference.
However I suspect that this may not be the case, as both SSD drives seem to work perfectly fine, if they are detected by bios.
Then "something" happens, and they disappear from bios. I think that what happens there, is that when trying to boot after the problem occurs, system is looking for boot sectors on the HDD drive, which is my storage drive only. Thus it gives a message that it can not find active partition.

The problem is present only on one of the sata ports. The other one is always recognizing connected drive.

Edit:
Tried bootrec command but it is not recognized.

Edit 2:
I have also just realized, that the above problem often occurs after I move the notebook. So maybe some loose parts? But still, it does not justify why only one of the drives is not detected, as they are both connected to the same PCB. I checked the screws near the sata ports, an they are all tightened.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Brother, you have totally missed the point Gps was making.
You are receiving this error because MBR is not being seen.
It is possible that your Sata port is not functional. Have you tried putting the boot drive on the other port?

It is also possible that you have two defunct MBRs

He was not telling you to install windows, he was telling you to load the install files on a USB, boot from that then select fix instead of install.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Yes, my bad. Will try to repair booting from USB.

Gps3dx
Level 12
@FXmAniac - @JustinThyme is right.

Your ssd's might not be recognized in the bios boot screens as they don't have any "active" partition or don't have bootloader installed on their "mbr" ( or if you UEFI boot your OSs - then the sdd's /hdd must be GPT formated and include "efi" fat32 partition with *.efi file under /efi/boot/ folder of the 1st partition on that drive ).
Please read my guide ( link in my sig ) to understand the difference between BIOS boot( CSM option enabled )+MBR formatted drives and on the other hand UEFI boot + GPT formated drive ( i.e CSM option DISABLED ).
you MUST know which type of installation you wish to boot -> then check the requirements ( i.e does your ssd is MBR or GPT formatted ? does CSM option in the bios is Enabled or Disabled ? ) -> then you need to make the RIGHT TYPE OF WINDOWS INSTALLATION USB, and BOOT IT IN THE RIGHT WAY ( again read my guide for more info )
My suggestion is that you'll make whatever changes to your system so that it will boot by the UEFI method ( NOT legacy bios ), i.e format your SSD as GPT, create the boot partition for the *.efi files +MSR partition, then whatever partition you need ( like "c:" for the windows ) - in that order, as my guide describe.

If you still got doubt about the SSDs being not connected, you can try the following:
Make bootable Ubuntu installation usb ( it is free of charge )
Then boot ubuntu - WITHOUT INSTALLING ANYTHING - just by using the "try ubuntu without making any changes to your computer" and also pick "nomodeset" since you got NVIDIA graphics card - AS THIS IMAGE SHOWS.
then, when ubuntu loads into the desktop open Gparted -> then you can check whatever disk/sdd is connected/not connected and its layout ( gpt/mbr ) and its partitions, and their status ( are they active/non active ? )
Using Gparted you can also convert an MBR formated ssd to GPT - NOTE THAT IT MIGHT ERASE EVERYTHING ON THAT DISK !
Then, after you've made sure the computer can access and read the SSD, so you know you don't have any HW issue - you can:
1. using either Gparted or diskpart ( from windows installation usb, see my guides ) you can format the hole ssd, create first two partitions ( efi and msr ) then the 3rd as WINDOWS ( see my guide for a "how to" ).
2. restore/copy windows from other drive/backup to the ssd's partition for windows ( the largest of them most probably )
3. using windows installation USB fix windows's boot, by running "fix boot" as we explained.

again, most of these steps are covered in detailed in my guide "how to install windows the proper way" - it appears in my sig and it is a sticky thread at the top of the 1st page of this sub-forum - can't miss it.

hope this helps you.
best of luck.
Asus G751JT
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

I have been downloading Windows image to usb now. Meanwhile I have played with various configuration of drives. It went completely crazy.
My Samsung SSD just "disconnected" itself today. Swapped it with the old Plextor, and it worked. Swapped back, Samsung did not work. Swapped again, Plextor worked. Moved Samsung to second sata port and it worked. For some reason, today my Samsung drive is no longer working on first sata port, but is working on second one.

So I left Samsung on second port, and installed HDD on first port. Booted do bios, everything was in place. Booted again to bios, HDD disappeared. Booted to Windows, it took very very long but...HDD is present again. Booted back to bios, HDD not detected. Booted to windows again... it took ages, but finally did it... HDD is present.

I have no idea what is going on, but Windows 10 is somehow magically able to wake up the HDD drive that is not even visible in bios?

Again, all the problems are connected with one of the sata ports.

P.S.
I will let You know if repairing SSD from usb boot drive helps.

I tried repairing with usb, but repair tool "could not fix the computer".

FXmAniac wrote:
I tried repairing with usb, but repair tool "could not fix the computer".

as I explained before, that might be because you're missing partitions such as efi boot partition and MSR, if the layout of your ssd is GPT.
you MUST understand what type of boot to try to do...
if you're on BIOS(csm enabled)+MBR layout - you can't "fix boot" while your windows installation USB was created & booted as UEFI and vise versa, of course.

please read again my last above reply and then read my guide to understand what you're missing.
Asus G751JT
My Guides: