cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it Safe to Leave ASUS G501VW Plugged In

andreirawan97
Level 7
Is it safe?
Some says it safe because nowadays technology stops the charging cycle, but some says that it kills your battery slowly

But, it also dangerous to gaming on battery since it's drain your battery faster

What should i do?
8 REPLIES 8

Tom2
Level 7
It is very reasonable to leave your power adapter plugged in especially while gaming but I would highly recommend letting your battery discharge at least once a month from 100% to 0%.In order to calibrate a battery you can start off with that then with your laptop completely drained and turned off, charge your laptop overnight for at least 8 hours. You can also download Power4Gear to monitor your battery health. Hope this helps!

But if i let it plugged in for 2 days straight is it going to hurt my battery?

Tom@ASUS wrote:
It is very reasonable to leave your power adapter plugged in especially while gaming but I would highly recommend letting your battery discharge at least once a month from 100% to 0%.In order to calibrate a battery you can start off with that then with your laptop completely drained and turned off, charge your laptop overnight for at least 8 hours. You can also download Power4Gear to monitor your battery health. Hope this helps!

If you drain your battery until 0%, your laptop will shut down improperly...

Isnt it better if you remove your battery when using adapter?

Tom@ASUS wrote:

Hi Tom,
Are you an Asus employee by any chance ?
is that an asus official way to deal with the battery ?

are you sure it isn't safer to drain the battery, once a month, to ~13% instead of 0% ?
according to this site - I don't think that draining the battery (Li-Ion) to 0% is recommended, as it DECREASE the num of possible future charging cycles available.
Also a user reported that draining to 0% caused a SERIOUS PROBLEM to his laptop's charging capabilities.

what's your input on this ?
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

What happens if my laptop is not have a removable battery?

Gps3dx wrote:
Hi Tom,
Are you an Asus employee by any chance ?
is that an asus official way to deal with the battery ?

are you sure it isn't safer to drain the battery, once a month, to ~13% instead of 0% ?
according to this site - I don't think that draining the battery (Li-Ion) to 0% is recommended, as it DECREASE the num of possible future charging cycles available.
Also a user reported that draining to 0% caused a SERIOUS PROBLEM to his laptop's charging capabilities.

what's your input on this ?

No, just bad advice. Draining any lithium based battery to 0 is not recommended nor is it possible to do with one of these machines. 0% is not 0 volts. Its cut off voltage. These are not Nicd batteries that require forming. They are Lithium polymer that do not form a memory. Every discharge is conversely one less cycle off the lifespan of the battery.
Mine stay plugged in most of the time. I very seldom run them on battery, like maybe for a minute or two if I a still doing something and changing rooms. These machines were not really meant to be run on batteries all the time. Definition or portable means its easily moved, and thats where it ends. A battery that can run one of these for any length of time would double the weight easily.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Sanctrum
Level 9
Please remember this:

Lithium polymer = Li-Po or more correctly Li-Ion batteries ONLY:
1. The worst thing you do is to discharge it completely... or to leave it discharged for several days. Doing so prepare yourself for a quick Li-Ion battery replacement.
2. If you are not using Li-Ion your battery (or laptop) for a longer time NEVER store it discharged. Instead, store the battery charged to at least 80% or better to 100%. Also check it from time to time and if it's less than 80% charge it to 100%.
3. Also Li-Ion batteries do not like quick discharging... as they are OVERHEATING so DO NOT play games and do not perform heavy CPU/GPU tasks at batteries only.
4. And the last thing. Li-Ion batteries do not like long/everlasting charging while they are charged to 100% as this also overheats them - but the process of charging is controlled by laptop's/brick's electronic... So if it's working properly (and your battery does not have any internal/hidden defects) it is safe to have the battery and the power brick constantly connected.
5. If your battery does not want to charge to approx. 95%-100% so it is probably damaged - REPLACE IT ASAP as Li-Ion batteries might be dangerous if defected as they might quickly overheat or fuse and set fire (if built with law quality materials)!

Remember - this applies to ALL Li-Ion batteries ONLY.
Check you battery type. If it is different than LI-Pol or Li-Ion then COMPLEATLY other rules apply.

doomed
Level 7
andreirawan97 wrote:
Is it safe?
Some says it safe because nowadays technology stops the charging cycle, but some says that it kills your battery slowly

But, it also dangerous to gaming on battery since it's drain your battery faster

What should i do?

Keep it plugged in always. It doesnt harm your computer or your battery.

What harms the battery is constantly discharging it, which you will be doing if you dont keep your laptop plugged in!!!