cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with using two monitors with 2GByte Strix GTX960 DC20C Graphics Card.

NickG
Level 7
I have recently assembled a new computer:-
ASUS Hero VIII Motherboard.
Intel i7 6700K processor.
16 GByte ram.
ASUS 2GByte Strix GTX960 DC20C Graphics card.

After installing and setting up all my software I installed a second monitor which at first appeared to be working correctly. After a short while I noticed that when a window was moved on either display it did not move in a smooth manner but was moving in a 'jerky' fashion in steps.

This at first appeared to happen on a random basis, but I have now found out one way to make it occur.

If I start up the computer and open Windows Explorer (or any other program) I can move it around the screen or from one screen to the other and it moves smoothly. If I now move the mouse pointer over the 'Show Desktop' button (bottom RHS of taskbar) the window or program becomes transparent. When I move the mouse away from 'Show Desktop' the window becomes visible again, but when it is now moved it moves in a 'jerky' fashion.

If I now go to Control Panel and select 'Show desktop only on 1' in screen resolution then the second screen blanks and the window now moves smoothly on screen 1 (the main display).

If I now select 'Extend these displays' the second screen comes on again, but movement of windows becomes jerky again.

I have to re-start the computer to get movement on both screens smooth again, but the problem re-occurs if I move the mouse over 'Show Desktop'.

I then disabled 'Show Desktop' button and moving the mouse does not make the windows on the screen go transparent and any window continued to move smoothly.

However, there are other conditions that cause the problem to occur. I use AutoCAD for work and after a short period of use any objects being moved do so in a jerky fashion. If I select 1 screen only in control panel then AutoCAD works smoothly again.

I have contacted ASUS support and at their suggestion updated to the latest NVIDIA drivers by using Geforce Experience and bought new ASUS monitors and leads but this did not cure the problem. Both monitors are connected to DP connections on the graphics card via StarTech DP to HDMI converters.

They now suggest that I perform a complete re-install of OS, but I am reluctant to do this due to amount of setting up of all software I use.

To summarise:-
One screen works OK.
With two screens certain operations cause movement of items on displays to become 'Jerky'.
NVIDIA drivers are up to date.

Any suggestions on how to cure this would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Nick.
7 REPLIES 7

meankeys
Level 13
Nick...
Welcome to the ROG

What Monitors are you using? How did you setup the monitors by stretching the desktop or...

The monitors are:-

Display 1 - Asus VN247H
Display 2 - Asus VX229H

The OS is Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.

The monitors were setup using Control Panel in Windows:-

Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Display/Adjust Resolution/Multiple Displays (Extend these displays selected)

The monitors are connected to 2 of the graphics cards DP connectors and use StarTech DP to HDMI converters to allow use of the HDMI inputs on the monitors.
Audio works OK on either monitor when it is selected using Sound control in Control Panel.

Nick.

meankeys
Level 13
Thanks Nick

Try using the Nvidia muti monitor setup. Just to clarify both video cards are setup in SLI and both monitors are plugged in to card 1.

How to set up multiple monitors - http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3148/~/how-to-set-up-multiple-monitors

Make sure both monitors are connected to the NVIDIA-based graphics card,

- Open the NVIDIA Control Panel. You can do this from the pop-up menu when you right-click on the desktop.

- Under the Display category, select "Set up Multiple Displays"

- Check the box next to the inactive display you wish to activate as a secondary display and click apply.

- If your display is not shown, click "My display is not shown..." to force detection.

- You can drag the green boxes around to match the physical arrangement of your displays, and choose which one is primary by right-clicking on it and selecting "Make Primary".

I use Eyefinity with the AMD graphics cards I use in my main rig. it allows the monitors to scale properly. that gives me a true resolution of 1564X1080p across three 24" monitors

meankeys wrote:
Thanks Nick

Try using the Nvidia muti monitor setup. Just to clarify both video cards are setup in SLI and both monitors are plugged in to card 1.

How to set up multiple monitors - http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3148/~/how-to-set-up-multiple-monitors

Make sure both monitors are connected to the NVIDIA-based graphics card,

- Open the NVIDIA Control Panel. You can do this from the pop-up menu when you right-click on the desktop.

- Under the Display category, select "Set up Multiple Displays"

- Check the box next to the inactive display you wish to activate as a secondary display and click apply.

- If your display is not shown, click "My display is not shown..." to force detection.

- You can drag the green boxes around to match the physical arrangement of your displays, and choose which one is primary by right-clicking on it and selecting "Make Primary".

I use Eyefinity with the AMD graphics cards I use in my main rig. it allows the monitors to scale properly. that gives me a true resolution of 1564X1080p across three 24" monitors

Thanks for the reply.

To clarify regarding the graphic cards I only have one and have both monitors connected to it using 2 of the DP connectors.

To test using NVIDIA Control Panel I firstly set the computer to use one monitor only using Windows Control panel and re-booted.

The computer started with one monitor only.

I then used NVIDIA control panel to set up multiple display's - the second monitor was recognised - all I had to do was select it by checking its select box.

This activated the second monitor, but the same problem when moving windows on the screens as noted above still occurs.

It seems to me that the NVIDIA control panel does exactly the same functions as using Windows Control Panel in regards to using two monitors.

Is there any way the operation of the graphics card can be tested to prove it is working OK ?

As far as I can tell there are no settings in the motherboard BIOS that have any effect on graphics.

My other computer also uses Windows 7 Pro 64bit and has an Asus GTX560 Ti graphics card - it runs two monitors with no problems at all, so I can't see why my new setup should be having problems.

Nick.

meankeys
Level 13
So 1 monitor is 24" and the other 22" and this setup worked in your old config?

meankeys wrote:
So 1 monitor is 24" and the other 22" and this setup worked in your old config?

I'm using the old computer now - it has 2 monitors on one graphics card - an ASUS GTX560 Ti.

One is a 22" TV using a VGA input. It connects to the card via a DVI to VGA adapter and has a resolution of 1920 x 1080
The other monitor is an old ASUS 19" one. It also connects to the card via a DVI to VGA adapter and has a resolution of 1440 x 900

They work perfectly with no problems of any sort.

I have used 4 different graphics cards in the past, all ASUS ones and have never had the problem I have with the GTX960 that I have now - setting up two monitors has always worked without any issues.

Not sure if this is a problem with the GTX960 or if the problem lies in my software somehow.

Has anyone else used two monitors with the GTX960 successfully ?

Nick.

CAUSE OF PROBLEM IDENTIFIED.

I have found out what is causing the problem.

I used MSCONFIG to stop all Services (except Microsoft ones) and all Startup items running at startup.

The problems with the jerky movement did not then occur.

By reselecting items a few at a time the cause was located as being two of the startup programs:-

SS2UILauncher and SVLoadSense.

If either of these run at startup the problem with the jerky window movements occurs.

This means that my headphones are no longer detected as Sonic Studio 2 is not running.

If I start it manually my headphones work, but the problem with the monitor display returns.

Can anyone suggest a way of curing this problem with Sonic Studio 2.

If not, can the program be removed and replaced by another program that will allow headphones and microphone to be detected and run without causing problems with the screen display ?

Regards,

Nick.