Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Hey all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

So this is my first attempt at OC'ing my Strix 1080 and I want to make sure I did it right, because my real world testing was an epic fail.

I have the 1835 MHz boost clock version, not the OC edition, but I assume you can still tweak this card. Following Chino's excellent guide, and using Unigine Heaven 4.0 for benchmarking, I was able to get the GPU Clock to 2000 and the Memory Clock up to 11460, which I thought was very respectable. The temps never got above 60 C with the fan at 100%.

I then did some real world testing: I launched Ghost Recon Wildlands. The game kept crashing/freezing on me and I had to restart each time. The only way the game would run is when I put the card back to stock settings.

So, couple of questions:

1. Did I do anything wrong by OC'ing this card?
    2. Is it possible the game is just jacked up (it's still pretty new to market) and perhaps I should try testing with a more stable game?

Thanks!

Windows 10 64 bit
    Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz Unlocked Quad Core Skylake
    Asus Z170-DELUXE LGA-1151
    ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (A8G)
    Asus PG278Q Monitor
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz
    Corsair AX760 Power Supply
    Nvidia driver version 378.78
    Last edited by mightypudge; 03-12-2017 at 01:32 PM.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Remember that stability tests like Heaven, 3DMark, Catzilla, shouldn't be the be-all and end-all of your overclock. I've always suggested to users to use their GPU normally as a test for stability. Real world usage is the best test for stability after all.

I think you just need to finetune your overclock a little more.

New ROGer Array

Will do. This particular game isn't running all that smoothly even at stock settings anyway, so I may need to find a better and more stable game for testing.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Yeah, I've noticed that as well. Sometimes it freezes for a quick second.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Yeah, I've noticed that as well. Sometimes it freezes for a quick second.
    Thanks for sharing this bit of info on overclocking Chino. Simple to follow and to put into practice
    Altho i may not have gotten as good of readings as you have done, it still helped me to overclock my cards.
    For some reason, i was getting weird readings on GPU Tweak II. Like, the Clock was always reading at about 570min mhz or about 608max mhz, even while in a game. So, i had to use GPU-z to get more accurate readings. Something wrong with my version of gpu tweak ii maybe. But, it did do everything else for me, being overclocking my 1080's.
    As far as i can tell, the best i can get my cards to, was GPU clock : 1770 mhz. Boost clock : 1897mhz. Memory clock : 1388mhz. that is going by GPU-z
    in GPU Tweak II it reads as : GPU Boost Clock : +163, (01897mhz). Memory clock +1090 (11100mhz).
    So, overall i was able to overclock to about 109%. I tried 2 different ways of overclocking my cards. The first way, was i started off in the OC Mode in gpu tweak II, which is about 102%. I tested it and then started upping the clocks manually.
    The 2nd way was starting off in game mode which is at 100%, tested it, and then upped the clocks manually. Either way, i got basically the same configurations. Made no difference. So it seems the best i can get out of my cards is 109%.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	64149 Gpu Tweak II readings Manually overclocked. With the big yellow circle, that is what i am referring to that kept reading as 570min mhz or 608max mhz. It just never changed even after rebooting,etc. That was why i went with GPU-z.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	64150 GPU-z

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4000MHz 16-16-16-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyPC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 1200w
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G500
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Hi Master_Wraith

Welcome to the ROG forum !

Install the latest version of GPU Tweak II, there is a known issue of GPU tweak II not reading the core clock correctly in some older versions.

Try version 1.4.5.4, select your operating system then click utilities.

https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Car...Desk_Download/

Great guide - Used 3D Mark after to fine tune for solid stability

In order to get it stable in real gaming scenarios, I followed the guide by Chino, got my magic numbers and then tested for gaming stability with 3DMark TimeSpy, I kept decreasing the Memeory clock by increments of 10 until I got no issues with Timespy, unfortunately my 1080Strix A8 SLI did not like it when I boosted above the factory 10010, I then kept going with the GPUBoost and lowering by increments of 5 until I got it stable and was able to run Timespy flawlessly. At the end I managed to get an extra 6% boost over the OC factory profile that was at 5%, so I got 11%. Not bad, I suspect the SLI sync makes it harder to squeeze extra performance and keep it stable. In any acse, the system is so stable now, ran realbench for 8 hours,no issues.

Below is my score http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/19983690?

Thanks Chino!

You're welcome, Darthkylo66!

Yeah, it gets a bit more complicated when you're running a SLI configuration. You will be limited by the one with the lowest overclocking potential.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array MrAgapiGC PC Specs
    MrAgapiGC PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus XI Code
    Processor9900K
    Memory (part number)CMK32GX4M4B3600C18
    Graphics Card #1STRIX-GTX1080ti-O8G-GAMING
    MonitorAOC AGON AG2701QX (2)
    Storage #1Samsung 960 EVO 256GB
    Storage #2Kingston Savage 500GB
    CPU CoolerNzxt X74 360mm AIO
    CaseNzxt H700
    Power SupplyEVGA 850 G2
    Keyboard Logitech G810
    Mouse Asus Spartha
    Headset Hyper X Cloud Revolver S
    Mouse Pad Hyper X Fury S 900mx420mm
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z337
    OS Windows 10 64btis
    Network RouterTpLink Archer C9
    Accessory #1 EKWB FANs all of them

Quote Originally Posted by Nate152 View Post
    Hi Master_Wraith

Welcome to the ROG forum !

Install the latest version of GPU Tweak II, there is a known issue of GPU tweak II not reading the core clock correctly in some older versions.

Try version 1.4.5.4, select your operating system then click utilities.

https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Car...Desk_Download/

Hi Nate thanks for everything as always. Nate. i try to use the the ver. but there is problems on the light aura. can you help me to see why my lights are going nuts when i use that ver. I did have to roll back to 1.4.3.9 in order to use the app (100% stable and working perfect), since i have also some wrong readings. Any help on that area will be fantastic to resolve!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast