cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with AI Suite 3 and Sabertooth X99

in_mono
Level 7
Hello there.

I've been using this build (see my profile) for a little more than a year now and while it's top notch hardware wise, it has some software issues.

The first bug: fan speed control is unreliable. I'm often leaving my computer in sleep and when waking it back, one fan is almost always stuck like this and I have to either wait several minutes or to select and deselect "Auto-Fan stop" (or make another change) so that the "Apply" button becomes active and I can click it. This is a Fractal Design Venturi HF-14 fan attached to the "Chassis fan 1" header. The fan has a minimum RPM of < 400 by specs, 250-300 as reported by AI Suite, but it will insist to stay at 1000-1100 until I do something.

Second bug: fan speed profiles are kind of worthless. Yes, I can create a custom fan curve for each fan (3 case fans and one CPU fan), and yes, curves are correctly saved and restored, but the software doesn't remember the source you set the fans to, e.g. I can allocate (as on the screenshot) some percentage to the CPU, some to the PCH and some to the memory modules, but once I change the profile, these are all forgotten (and only the curve/fixed speed is set).

I can't recall what's set in UEFI settings for the fan control (I think it's PWM), but with the other setting the fan wasn't be able to slow down. Setting Fan acceleration/deceleration time does nothing, I still have to change some settings back and forth (or launch AI Suite if it wasn't running) for the fan to actually sense it has to spin down. This really should be a "set and forget" thing, not something I have to fiddle with every time I turn on or wake my computer.

I'm sure this is a very reliable board speaking of hardware and I'm sure that it can last me many years if I don't sell it, but it's simply not acceptable for me to pay almost $500 for a motherboard and its software to have quirks like this.

P.S. Forgot to mention that this is running the latest Windows 10 insider build and the latest AI Suite there is for my board.

P.S. 2 Ignore the high-ish idle temps, this is a non air conditioned room during summer.
10 REPLIES 10

Keidj
Level 7
in mono wrote:
Hello there.

I've been using this build (see my profile) for a little more than a year now and while it's top notch hardware wise, it has some software issues.

The first bug: fan speed control is unreliable. I'm often leaving my computer in sleep and when waking it back, one fan is almost always stuck like this and I have to either wait several minutes or to select and deselect "Auto-Fan stop" (or make another change) so that the "Apply" button becomes active and I can click it. This is a Fractal Design Venturi HF-14 fan attached to the "Chassis fan 1" header. The fan has a minimum RPM of < 400 by specs, 250-300 as reported by AI Suite, but it will insist to stay at 1000-1100 until I do something.

Second bug: fan speed profiles are kind of worthless. Yes, I can create a custom fan curve for each fan (3 case fans and one CPU fan), and yes, curves are correctly saved and restored, but the software doesn't remember the source you set the fans to, e.g. I can allocate (as on the screenshot) some percentage to the CPU, some to the PCH and some to the memory modules, but once I change the profile, these are all forgotten (and only the curve/fixed speed is set).

I can't recall what's set in UEFI settings for the fan control (I think it's PWM), but with the other setting the fan wasn't be able to slow down. Setting Fan acceleration/deceleration time does nothing, I still have to change some settings back and forth (or launch AI Suite if it wasn't running) for the fan to actually sense it has to spin down. This really should be a "set and forget" thing, not something I have to fiddle with every time I turn on or wake my computer.

I'm sure this is a very reliable board speaking of hardware and I'm sure that it can last me many years if I don't sell it, but it's simply not acceptable for me to pay almost $500 for a motherboard and its software to have quirks like this.

P.S. Forgot to mention that this is running the latest Windows 10 insider build and the latest AI Suite there is for my board.

P.S. 2 Ignore the high-ish idle temps, this is a non air conditioned room during summer.

A new version of AI Suite 3 was released today, 1.01.46. Its working as intended now 😄 giv e it a try!

Keidj wrote:
A new version of AI Suite 3 was released today, 1.01.46. Its working as intended now 😄 giv e it a try!

Will try it when I get home, thanks.

in mono wrote:
Will try it when I get home, thanks.

I just had a look at ASUS.com > X99 Sabretooth > utilities: no updated version of AI Suite 3 for download 😞 Maybe the new release of AI Suite 3 is only for some motherboards(I have Z170 pro gaming) or ASUS.com hasnt been updated?!

I guess RGB lighting on newer models is more important than proper cooling since this is all the rage right now.

Edit: oh, wrong account. I'm the same guy.

3 weeks later and still nothing. Heck, I'm not asking for new features, I'm asking for the old features to work correctly...

I think I found a solution to circumvent the inadequacy of AI Suite (at least for the first bug).

Here goes: I don't know where the issue lies, but it seems to go away if I stop and start again the AsusFanControlService. And since doing that manually would be almost the same as fiddling with AI Suite, I decided to automate it.
I had to enable Administrator since it's disabled by default in Windows 10. Here's a guide to do it. Set a password for it (it seems that this doesn't work with a blank one; moreover it's not a good idea to have an unprotected admin account).
Then I went into Task Scheduler and created a new task. It launches on resume from stand by. To do so, add a trigger and set it like this:

Next up, create a batch file with the following content:

NET STOP AsusFanControlService
NET START AsusFanControlService

Save it wherever you like (as .bat of course). I placed it in the same folder as AISuite3.exe for the sake of convenience. Back to Task Scheduler - go to the Actions tab and select that batch file (not pictured since there's nothing special about that step). Go to the General tab. Set it like this:

Upon clicking "OK" you will be asked for credentials. Enter "Administrator" and the password for it.

I just added another trigger ("At startup") since this seems to also be needed when restarting Windows. Haven't tested it, but it should work.

That should be it. Really hope this helps someone.

As for the second bug - I guess I'll have to fiddle around with the XMLs (found in C:\ProgramData\ASUS\Dip\FanXpert\Profiles). Now that I look at them again, it seems that saving a user profile doesn't save weights for any fan. Open a user profile side by side with a default one (the ones with "ASUS" in parenthesis) and you'll see that the user profile lacks the "weights" tag under a "fan" tag.
I'll play around, maybe I'll try to copy the weights from another profile and see if that works upon changing profiles. I also hope I'll find a way to switch profiles programmatically (i.e. without launching AISuite).

Shame on me for not coming up with this earlier. Shame on ASUS for apparently not caring about software. I doubt that any time soon I'd be buying hardware that may be crippled by software like this.

killchain wrote:
I guess RGB lighting on newer models is more important than proper cooling since this is all the rage right now.

Edit: oh, wrong account. I'm the same guy.

Even the rgb lighting is not done well or refined much , i have had crashes on this also.
Also the rgb software is not designed very user frindly gui wise .:p

Thanks for the asus service auto restarting idea to try work aroud some of the bugs.
Will the forum bugs get fixed?

in_mono
Level 7
Several Windows 10 updates later and the workaround with resetting the service does not work anymore. Currently running Windows 10 15042 and this is what I have two hours after I've woken up my PC from sleep:

Come on, Asus, you can do better.

qwertz
Level 9
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?87557-Aisuite-3-bugs
On rampage v also simialr problems and not fixed in years.

Thought rampage 5 maybe less popular board and thus gets less attention in fixing problems so they keep bugs unfixed for years until product gets discontinued but also i got bugs on new z270 board...
I suppose on z270 will be at least some bugs fixed like crashing on aisuite update due to overflow etc.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91058-Aisuite-crash

Haha , dont hope for anything exept serious marketing idea implanting with images, high prices and many unfixed bugs.
I would guess there is more people working on marketing text and beautiful images then devs working on fixing the software.

Even the rgb lighting is not done well or refined much , i have had crashes on this also.
Also the rgb software is not designed very user frindly gui wise .:p

Thanks for the asus service auto restarting idea to try work aroud some of the bugs.

Also as we write the forum is quite bugged..
Will the forum bugs get fixed?