cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close to start purchasing components and could use a second look

Buttfacesalsa
Level 7
Hello!

So as the title of this thread might inform you of, I am currently in the end phase of putting together my buy-list for a new rig and I could use a second look to see any components that don't match, advice etc. if someone would take the time.
The build is going to be built on the skylake platform and will feature a lot of ROG/Asus parts, mostly because I am planning on a black and red setup but also because ROG and Asus generally has brilliant components.

Case:
Corsair 780T (actually had planned to go with the NZXT Phantom 820, but the headache with too few usb 2.0 headers was more than I could be bothered with. 2 headers from the front 4 ports, a usb connector from the CLC and a usb connector for the SD slot, ending in a total of 4 needed headers)

MOBO:
Asus Maximus VIII Hero Socket-1151

CPU:
I7-6700K

CLC:
NZXT Kraken x61

RAM:
HyperX Predator DDR4 2400mhz 16GB

GPU:
GTX 1080 Strix OC-edition

PSU:
EVGA-1000W G2

SSD/HDD:
Samsung EVO 850-500GB/WD Black 3TB

Internal networking card:
Asus PCE-AC68

Extras:
Asus blu-ray reader (because I'm not going to have an around $2500 build and not be able to put in a fricking CD)

So the "theme" of my build is a really "beastly" setup right out of the box, but with possibility for additional expantion in the future, in say the storage departament, running dual SLI GTX 1080's etc. etc.
Ofc after my wallet has stopped crying. So if some could take a look at it, point out any flaws, stuff I haven't thought about etc. that would be much appreciated.

Have a nice day!
13 REPLIES 13

Nate152
Hi Buttfacesalsa

Two things I would change.

First your cpu cooler, your case supports a 360mm radiator. If you could go with the ek kit x360 you could liquid cool the vrms on the formula. It has a reservoir and clear tubing and you could choose the color of coolant you want, it comes with clear coolant.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/449344/EK-KIT_X360

Second - your psu, if you plan on going sli a seasonic or evga supernova 1000w - 1200w would be good. EVGA supernova's have a 10 yr warranty.

EVGA 1000w platinum - https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-PLATINUM-Warranty-220-P2-1000-XR/dp/B00EKJQM5E

Here's some pics of my maximus viii formula, pc specs above my avatar.

Keidj
Level 7
Buttfacesalsa wrote:
Hello!

So as the title of this thread might inform you of, I am currently in the end phase of putting together my buy-list for a new rig and I could use a second look to see any components that don't match, advice etc. if someone would take the time.
The build is going to be built on the skylake platform and will feature a lot of ROG/Asus parts, mostly because I am planning on a black and red setup but also because ROG and Asus generally has brilliant components.

Case:
Corsair 780T (actually had planned to go with the NZXT Phantom 820, but the headache with too few usb 2.0 headers was more than I could be bothered with. 2 headers from the front 4 ports, a usb connector from the CLC and a usb connector for the SD slot, ending in a total of 4 needed headers)

MOBO:
Asus Maximus VIII Formula, Socket-1151

CPU:
I7-6700K

CLC:
NZXT Kraken x61

RAM:
HyperX Predator DDR4 2400mhz 16GB

GPU:
GTX 1080 Strix OC-edition

PSU:
RM850x - 850W

SSD/HDD:
Samsung EVO 850-500GB/Seagate Barracuda 3TB

Extras:
Asus blu-ray reader (because I'm not going to have an around $2500 build and not be able to put in a fricking CD)

So the "theme" of my build is a really "beastly" setup right out of the box, but with possibility for additional expantion in the future, in say the storage departament, running dual SLI GTX 1080's etc. etc.
Ofc after my wallet has stopped crying. So if some could take a look at it, point out any flaws, stuff I haven't thought about etc. that would be much appreciated.

Have a nice day!

Looks like nice stuff 😄 However why would you go with a 850W PSU? 500W is enough and if your planning on SLI in the future 750W is well enough. Also ask yourself if you really need that expensive MOBO?! I have the Z170 pro gaming and im really satisfied with it. Has all the features "I need" and works great with overclocking the 6700K and less than half the price 😄 Use the extra money you'll be saving on the PSU and MOBO and buy some periferals or games 😉

edit: I wouldnt go with the Seagate HDD. I believe that particular 3TB HDD has a huge failure rate, I could be wrong but I remeber something bout Seagate 3TB drives...U'll have to search the internet urself 😄

NemesisChild
Level 12
A 750W PSU for SLI would be borderline and not worth the risk.

And I agree with Nate, Seasonic and EVGA SuperNova are very good PSU choices.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
A 750W PSU for SLI would be borderline and not worth the risk.

And I agree with Nate, Seasonic and EVGA SuperNova are very good PSU choices.

Borderline? What risk? 1x 1080 OC to the max pulls 220-225W(Strix 1080) so if you put 2 of them in the same system OC to max they will draw a maximum of 450W. Then add whatever else you have in your system(6700K in OP's build) and it will not go past 600W. Nvidia recommends 500W for single 1080 and thats already with a safety margin of about 100-200W. Just watch this video from LTT and skip to 4:17 and you will see the total system power draw at 280W single card and 427W SLI.

GL with your build Buttfacesalsa 😃

Nate152
That may be so but overclocking the cpu and gpu's will draw more watts and it's always good to give your psu at least 30% headroom or a little more. The more headroom you give it the cooler and quieter it will run and it will last longer.

According to this review an 850w - 900w psu is recommended for 1080 sli, if overclocking the cpu and gpu's then a higher wattage psu is recommended.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1080_review,8.html

Nate152 wrote:
That may be so but overclocking the cpu will draw more watts and it's always good to give your psu at least 30% headroom or a little more. The more headroom you give it the cooler and quieter it will run and it will last longer.

Based on numbers from the web concerning power draw from the 6700K and gtx1080, IF you were to SLI you would end up with a maximum powerdraw at around 550-600W when overclocked(both CPU and GPU's). A 750W PSU would in this scenario give you 35% headroom.

Nate152
When I used this psu calculator it said the recommended psu was an evga 1000w gold psu, try it for yourself. Don't forget to overclock the cpu and gpu's.

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Nate152 wrote:
When I used this psu calculator it said the recommended psu was an evga 1000w gold psu, try it for yourself. Don't forget to overclock the cpu and gpu's.

Just did the "test" and according to this test its says "load wattage" 650W wich is 100-200W over all IRL tests I've seen. Also I set the CPU to 4,5Ghz and the 2x 1080 to 1800 base clock wich isnt realistic in SLI. "It" recommended me an 850W PSU. I'd go with the numerous IRL tests on youtube + my own experience using 6700K and Strix 1080. This test isnt accurate at all...

Nate152 wrote:

I'll compromise Nate 😉 A 600W PSU is well enough for 1x 1080 and future cards I pressume, dont think the TDP will go "up" for the next generation graphics cards, and an 850W for SLI. I still would say its overkill in both scenarios but at least it's not too little 🙂 🙂

edit: I completely forgot to mention my second Strix 1080 will be delivered 24th of August, its not because Im going SLI, Im changing cards from standard Strix 1080 to OC model and my friend will buy my non-OC card. So I can probably test 2x 1080 SLI with my 750W Corsair PSU as long as my MOBO supports SLI, I have no clue since I never had the intention to SLI. The 750W PSU I had from another build.

edit2: Does the case have a window? If so I would buy the PSU brand that has the nicest cables in your opinion, if no window get w.e brand you like.