cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with my random reboot problem in my Gene VII

finix429
Level 7
Hi,

I have had this random reboot issue since I built my first PC last year. I reinstalled my Windows 10 but it still happens. It mostly happens when I'm gaming. But the temperature is fine (CPU 50-60c and GPU around 50c). It sometimes also happens even when I left just using chrome, MS word and outlook.

I check my event viewer and only see these errors and warnings:

Kernel-Power (Event ID 41) & Error-log (Event ID 6008) - Those 2 are for unexpected reboot

DCOM error (Event ID 10016) for RuntimeBroker & CDP Activity Store - Those 2 are fairly commonly in Windows 10 and I find some people says they can be safely ignored

DCOM error (Event ID 10010) for SettingSyncHost.exe - This happens recently after I update my MB drivers, I don't know why. But it's related to MS account, so I guess it's probably not responsible for my random reboot.

Kernel-PnP warning (Event ID: 219) - I see this problem fairly common across this forum, but I don't see many people report random reboot problem. I wonder if it is related to my random reboot problem.
Description of this warning: The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&0.

Now I can only suspect 3 things that causes my random reboot:
1. Hardware incompatibility & insufficient PSU power
2. MB defection or PSU defection
3. Win 10 OS
4. The ACPI Kenel-PnP warning

Below is my built
I don't see my PSU has insufficient power (please correct me if I'm wrong).
I'm not sure if there is any hardware compatible issue, but if anyone notice that, please let me know.

MB: Asus MAXIMUS VII GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

HHD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

PSU: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

CPU cooler: Corsair H110i GT 113.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Fans:
Noctua F12 PWM Fan (Case fan, 1 fan)
Noctua A15 PWM Fan (CPU fan, 2 fans)
Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition (Case fan, 2 fans)

Below are what I'm doing with the ACPI Kernel-PnP warnings, but it seems an unsolvable problem in Windows platform (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48808-Help-Multiple-ACPI-Errors/page17).

Update drivers:
1. I have updated my BIOS to the latest 3003. I have updated my Chipset, SATA, USB, LAN.
2. I cannot install the VGA drivers as it says "the computer does not meet the minimum requirement for installing the software". I guess it's because my GTX 970.
3. I also update the firmware of my SSD.
4. I tried Probe ll Sense under utility.

Windows services.msc for WUDFRd:
I can only set Windows Driver Foundation to automatic (trigger start). Cannot set it to fully automatic.

I've disabled fast start in Win 10 today, as it changes my MB Q-code to 40 sometimes (start from S4 sleep). I'm not sure if this will help.

Should I change my OS to Windows 7? Wonder if Win 7 user has this issue. I just did a fresh Win 10 reinstall and many development kits are configured...
I wonder if there is anyone Gene VII does not have random reboot issue and what's the OS for his/her MB?

or Should I send my MB to Asus to check? (Asus MB has 3 year warranty right?)
11 REPLIES 11

Nate152
Hi finix429

Welcome to the rOG forum.

If you're doing any overclocking try resetting to default settings.

If you are running at default settings would you by chance have another psu to test with?

Has there been any resolution found for this?

I have a very similar setup, and exactly the same symptoms. Random shutdown, with only a Kernel-Power (Event ID 41) in the log.

Everything at stock clocks, CPU never exceeds 60C at full load, RAM tests fine, problem has persisted across 2 PSUs and 2 GPUs.

This is definitely linked to win 10, as the system was rock stable under 8.1.

MB: Asus MAXIMUS VII GENE
RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB)
CPU: i7-4790K
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X
SSD: Samsung 850 1TB SSD
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U12S R

chevell65
Level 12
Is it a random shut down, reboot or a bluescreen crash?
Do you have AI Suite installed?
What does the event viewer in Windows say about this critical event? Have you updated the Intel MEI drivers to the latest version?

Event Viewer Text is "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

AI Suite is installed, but not running.

Had the latest MEIs available from the Asus site installed, dropped the latest ones from Intel in earlier today. Haven't had a crash yet, but also haven't given it a real workout.

voxpopuli wrote:
Event Viewer Text is "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

AI Suite is installed, but not running.

Had the latest MEIs available from the Asus site installed, dropped the latest ones from Intel in earlier today. Haven't had a crash yet, but also haven't given it a real workout.

Sounds like it crashed and rebooted to me.
There were issues with the Asus site MEI driver version so give it some time to test with the new ones and see how it goes.

Update: Using the latest MEI version (via: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26482/Intel-Management-Engine-Intel-ME-Driver-for-Intel-NU...) seems to have completely resolved the issue.

Given things a pretty comprehensive workout with stress tests and haven't had a recurrence.

ASUS, if you're paying attention, update your driver page.

chevell65
Level 12
Yes I wish they would update the MEI drivers at the Asus support site. This also proves that you don't even need to have AI Suite in overclock mode for this problem to occur.

Glad to see you are up and running again. Hopefully my advice helped point you in the right direction. 🙂

Nate152
Good to see you found the fix, I don't use AI Suite therefore I have no need for the MEI driver. 🙂

chevell65
Level 12
Well it helps a little when someone tells you exactly what the issue was in the first place. 🙂