cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems overclocking my ASUS Strix RoG GTX 1070

Hutchie91
Level 7
Hi guys, I was previously a owner of a Zotac AMP Extreme 970 and had no problems overclocking it despite it being already a beast out the box. After upgrading to a 1070 yesterday, I went with the ASUS Strix instead and I couldn't be more happy. However I'm having problems overclocking and need to ask a few questions.

Basically, whether I use GPUTweak II or the 4.3 Beta of MSI Afterburner, I can't increase my power limit to 120, it's just locked at 112. Even if I tick the option in GPUTweak to increase range enhancement.

After trying in MSI Afterburner, I have the same problems. However with that, I tried to bumping the clock to 2113Mhz Boost and +350Mhz on the memory. After running a Haven Benchmark, everything was stable, temps werent going past 54c with 50% fan RPM however on the MSI OSD I noticed I was hitting my power limit several times (fluctuating from 0 to 1), is this bad? Or does it simply mean once the gpu hits it maximum power draw it will just throttle the clockspeed slightly?

Another quick question, because from what I can tell GPUTweak II doesn't offer any OSD to monitor things during gaming, is there any way for GPUTweak to set the overclock, and also have MSI Afterburner on at the same time to use for it's OSD without MSI Afterburner's profile conflicting with any overclock settings on GPUTweak?

My specs:

Corsair Obsidian 750d Airflow Edition Case
ASUS Z170-E MoBo
Intel i5 6500
Alpenfohn Matterhorn Black CPU Cooler
Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 @ 2133Mhz
ASUS Strix RoG GTX 1070 on 372.54 drivers
Kingston 120GB SSD for OS and System Programmes
Corsair RM850i PSU
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
9 REPLIES 9

Chino
Level 15
Are you using the latest version of GPU Tweak II?

And yes. There is an option to make GPU Tweak II start up in the background when Windows loads and apply the overclock by itself. 🙂

Chino wrote:
Are you using the latest version of GPU Tweak II?

And yes. There is an option to make GPU Tweak II start up in the background when Windows loads and apply the overclock by itself. 🙂

Cheers for the reply I'm running GPUTweak II 1.3.3.2, is this the latest version? To be honest it was a bit of a mission just finding GPUTweak II for Windows 10, under the support section on the ASUS website for their 1070 had nothing, ended up finding a link to it via a thread I found on Tom's Hardware lol.

Yeah, I found the option for GPUTweak to open on start up, however I also need some sort of OSD monitoring, and since GPUTweak doesn't have that I need to resort to Afterburner, however I don't want any Afterburner settings ruining whatever OC and fan curve I set in GPUTweaker II.

Chino
Level 15
Correct.

How are you increasing the Power Target? Are you using the slider? Have you tried typing in the value manually? Also there is a lock icon beside the option. Make sure the option isn't locked. 😉

Chino wrote:
Correct.

How are you increasing the Power Target? Are you using the slider? Have you tried typing in the value manually? Also there is a lock icon beside the option. Make sure the option isn't locked. 😉

Yes, the padlock to the left is greyed out, I originally tried adjusting it with the slider, then even if I double click the value and enter 120 using the keyboard it just reverts straight back to 112. I've also got the power limit unlinked with the temp limit.

Is it bad if I am hitting the power limit? Does it just mean the card may throttle the clocks slightly?

Nate152
Hi Hutchie91

It won't throttle until you hit 80c - 82c and as cool as it runs you should be well under that.

Here is an overclocking guide, if you're lucky you should hit 2100MHz on the core and 9400MHz on the memory.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?86398-Strix-GTX-1070-Overclocking-Guide

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Hutchie91

It won't throttle until you hit 80c - 82c and as cool as it runs you should be well under that.

Here is an overclocking guide, if you're lucky you should hit 2100MHz on the core and 9400MHz on the memory.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?86398-Strix-GTX-1070-Overclocking-Guide

Yeah, your guide was one I used, I'm still unable to boost the power limit to 120, however, I was still able hit 2113MHz on the core, with temps not going past 59c with just 40% fan speed. I was just worried that constantly hitting the power limit was a bad thing. But I tested with stock settings and saw even at the 1860Mhz stock boost it would still hit the power limit.

Nate152
Hitting the power limit is fine, what you want to pay attention to is the temp. Thermal throttling happens when the temp hits 82c and at 59c you have nothing to worry about, anything in the 70'sc is even fine.

You got to love Asus's DirectCU III cooling, I know I do.

It's possible the power target may not go as high as the OC version but it's not a big deal if you're hitting over 2100MHz on the core.

That's awesome, nice job !

Feel free to post your results in the overclocking guide. 🙂

shocktruppen
Level 7
Hutchie91 wrote:
Hi guys, I was previously a owner of a Zotac AMP Extreme 970 and had no problems overclocking it despite it being already a beast out the box. After upgrading to a 1070 yesterday, I went with the ASUS Strix instead and I couldn't be more happy. However I'm having problems overclocking and need to ask a few questions.

Basically, whether I use GPUTweak II or the 4.3 Beta of MSI Afterburner, I can't increase my power limit to 120, it's just locked at 112. Even if I tick the option in GPUTweak to increase range enhancement.

After trying in MSI Afterburner, I have the same problems. However with that, I tried to bumping the clock to 2113Mhz Boost and +350Mhz on the memory. After running a Haven Benchmark, everything was stable, temps werent going past 54c with 50% fan RPM however on the MSI OSD I noticed I was hitting my power limit several times (fluctuating from 0 to 1), is this bad? Or does it simply mean once the gpu hits it maximum power draw it will just throttle the clockspeed slightly?

Another quick question, because from what I can tell GPUTweak II doesn't offer any OSD to monitor things during gaming, is there any way for GPUTweak to set the overclock, and also have MSI Afterburner on at the same time to use for it's OSD without MSI Afterburner's profile conflicting with any overclock settings on GPUTweak?

My specs:

Corsair Obsidian 750d Airflow Edition Case
ASUS Z170-E MoBo
Intel i5 6500
Alpenfohn Matterhorn Black CPU Cooler
Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 @ 2133Mhz
ASUS Strix RoG GTX 1070 on 372.54 drivers
Kingston 120GB SSD for OS and System Programmes
Corsair RM850i PSU
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

This card is already oc to its limits. You can only squeak out 1 percent increase on the clock speed and 17 percent on memory.

I also have hit the limit of 2114 MHz with and 4437 MHz (8874Mhz) using the settings of
Voltage +100
Power Limit 112
Core Clock +225
Memory Clock +431

I can loop Unigine Heaven at max settings with it not hitting past 49 degrees C. And I get throttled back to around 2088 MHz without coming near the temp limit. Staring at HWMonitor it just drops the GPU % to around 108% throughout the benchmark with it hitting 113.87% as a max and it never staying at the set 112% through MSI Afterburner. Using the ASUS Tweaker my OC never would stay stable and had someone suggest using MSI's software instead which allowed me to get to where I am now. I am looking at flashing my BIOS to use the O8G BIOS to get the 120% power limit.