cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix GTX1080 Coil Whine bad

Blair
Level 7
Hello,

so far everything from ASUS I'm having issues with the new rampage 5 edition 10 takes 30 seconds to just post I mean WTF.

and the biggest issue is ive gone through 4 cards now using SI but tried 4 card and all have bad coil whine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1fdxBp7zkk

can hear it above the game volume very very put off buying another Asus GPU again especially given the high price and supposedly high end components to stop this noise.

using a Corsair HX1000I PSU very minimal coil whine on my old MSI HD7970 cards
17 REPLIES 17

Chino
Level 15
It takes a little longer to post on the X99 platform compared to older platforms because DDR4 training takes significantly longer.

As for the coil whine, are you sure it's coming from the GPU? I see that you're using liquid cooling. Are you sure it's not coming from your pump? The odds of getting 4 consecutive GPUs with coil whine is pretty low. I have 2 Strix GTX 1080 and none of them emit any noise close to what you're having.

Blair
Level 7
Its 100% the GPU as soon as I come out of any game or benchmark the whine stops.

Going to try buying a EVGA PSU to see if that stops it as some people have had luck changing PSU's and stopping coil whine but other than that I don't know what to do its so annoying.

Chino
Level 15
As of right now, that's a good possibility. I've seen my fair cases of power supplies causing whining/buzzing sounds with graphics cards on this forum.

I cannot speak for other brands. For what it's worth, I've always used Seasonic in all my ASUS builds and their units haven't caused any coil whine for me. But then again Seasonic is pretty much the cream of the crop of power supplies. lol

Blair
Level 7
Well evga psu is coming Monday was twice the cost of the corsair unit I just bought will wait and see if it solves the issues. I hope and pray it will or else I might seriously consider sending them back and getting a different brand which will be a massive pain as I got the water blocks and everything for these.

I have two asus 1080 strix oc cards, both cards have very loud coil whine
even in silent mode and i have tried various settings, they scream in games like a banshee
My psu is a corsair ax1500i and tried a evga 1600 t2 psu, made no difference
i made a audio recording and sent it my retailer who said they would contact Asus

Wait and see game now 😞
Asus Rampage VI Encore • 10980XE @ 5.0 • Trident Z 64GB 3600C15 • Intel 750 1.2TB SSD • 1 x Evga Kingpin 2080 Ti • Custom Water

Blair
Level 7
ITs silly these card are meant to be top of the line but instead we might as well bought a reference it would have been quieter.

protos
Level 7
Blair wrote:
Hello,

so far everything from ASUS I'm having issues with the new rampage 5 edition 10 takes 30 seconds to just post I mean WTF.

and the biggest issue is ive gone through 4 cards now using SI but tried 4 card and all have bad coil whine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1fdxBp7zkk

can hear it above the game volume very very put off buying another Asus GPU again especially given the high price and supposedly high end components to stop this noise.

using a Corsair HX1000I PSU very minimal coil whine on my old MSI HD7970 cards

I've got the non OC asus strix 1080, also using that PSU. Works well doesn't have that nasty sound like yours. But I can get it to whine with a much harder voltage when OCing it.
I've OC'ed mine to 2250Mhz(just for kicks) no coil whine, custom mild voltage/s gradient setting. Hope you get yours sorted.

protos wrote:
I've got the non OC asus strix 1080, also using that PSU. Works well doesn't have that nasty sound like yours. But I can get it to whine with a much harder voltage when OCing it.
I've OC'ed mine to 2250Mhz(just for kicks) no coil whine, custom mild voltage/s gradient setting. Hope you get yours sorted.

I'm not sure on what to do I don't want to just put up with it as I'm not planning on updating my pc again for a very long time.

Blair wrote:
I'm not sure on what to do I don't want to just put up with it as I'm not planning on updating my pc again for a very long time.

Personally if you still have the receipt and product number. I'd contact asus and send them the link of this thread. It could be just some lemon caps???
As for the motherboard, I think it all depends on how good the BIOS is. Mine is not as bad as yours, I'm using an asrock gaming mobo, boots into windows 8.1 in
around 10 seconds with an M2 Samsung 950 PRO 512GB SSD. I've heard of some MSI mobos booting even faster, they have some features on the bios to which you can set to disable usb searching or something
like that, it's crazy fast.

Good luck