cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2133mhz RAM data rate

Quadrider10
Level 7
What's up guys?

I just bought the gskill 2133mhz team for the g751 laptop, I noticed that in cpuz, it says data rate in timings is set to 2T. Is there any way to change this to 1T?

It's all for ****s and giggles, until someone giggles and ****s.
9 REPLIES 9

warryabel
Level 7
hmmmm....try xtu

Quadrider10
Level 7
There's no option in XTU to change the data rate from 2T to 1T.

JustinThyme
Level 13
You would need to hack your bios to get to that setting. ROG Hardcore posted up recently about how to open up hidden settings.
My question is why would you want to do this? If you are running more than 2 sticks of ram chances are it will not be stable regardless of what brand you are using.
I dabbled with this some time ago on my desktop machine and other than a very small gain in memory bandwidth benchmarks, like 5%, it amounted to precisely squat. Other benchmarks it did absolutely nothing 3D Marks ran 100 points higher once or twice but then it did that at 2T as well.

Careful messing with any memory settings in XTu. Last time I made a small change I ended up having to pull the laptop apart to get to the CMOS battery to recover. For the most part its best to just leave it at SPD and go with it. 2133 is already a nice step above stock.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Quadrider10
Level 7
True, but I just don't know why it would be set at 2T with that type of ram. I'm just trying to pull the most possible performance from this machine without over clocking weather that be bios settings or xtu, etc.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Every machine I've had with every memory stick Ive purchased going back at least 15 years have all had SPD of 2T. When I tried it on a desktop I had to go into the bios and manually configure the timings and it took me the better part of a day just to get the 1T to work while fudging other settings and timings and having to remove 2 sticks and leave just one pair in Dual channel. Every attempt that failed, well, failed. reset CMOS, redo all my BIOS settings and try again. Not all that difficult on a desktop but Im here to tell you getting to the CMOS battery in one of these laptops takes a few hours. Ive run the DDR3L 2133 and the DDR4 2400 and the SPD is 2T. Like I said, the only place it showed a very marginal gain was in memory bandwidth benchmarks, zero improvement in real world performance and other benchmarks.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Quadrider10
Level 7
I believe you. My desktop runs at 2133 at 1T. That's even over clocked.

Anyways, I'll just leave it.

How can I unlock more BIOS options though like your said before?

JustinThyme
Level 13
Did you gain anything? You can certainly make it work on a desktop even with an over clock. I did also but like I said I didn't gain anything and got a better over clock at 2T.

Rog Hardcore has a thread going with BIOS hacks that was started fairly recently, shouldn't be hard to find.
Personally there is not enough gained with any of it to risk a brick. One mistake and its toast with no way to recover unless you have the right tools to be able to flash the BIOS without the PC. Most do not and have to resort to sending it in to get fixed.

JustinThyme
Level 13
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?86944-ASUS-G752VY-BIOS-UNLOCKED-with-tons-of-settings-reve...

Quadrider10
Level 7
Got it. Thanks a lot man!