cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS 203 Before SSD Installation?

boombox
Level 7
Hi everyone,

I recently purcashed a G74SX-A1 and am new to the forums. I wasn't aware of any bios updates until I noticed the number lock key did not work. I started looking into solutions and found this forum. I build my own desktops and am comfortable with them but it is a different story when it comes to laptops.

I have bought a 120Gb SSD and want to do a clean installation. To my understanding, here are the steps:

1) Update BIOS to 203 using FAT32 USB and EasyFlash. (I am currently running 201)
2)Install SSD physically into the bay
3)Update Firmware for SSD
4)Set boot drive to SSD and install Win7
5)Install drivers from stickies page

I did a search through the forums but could not find step by step installation on the process. I got bits and pieces of information and that is what i came up with. If any steps are incorrect or if anyone can give me more detailed explanation, please let me know! Your help will be much appreciated 🙂

The problem now is that I am stuck on the first step. The link to download BIOS 203 on the drivers page does not seem to work for me; it simply does not display the webpage. Is there another way I could get the BIOS?
32 REPLIES 32

BrodyBoy
Level 10
It's available on the G74 product downloads page, but here's a quick link.

Thanks for the quick reply 😃

BrodyBoy
Level 10
One quick note: Your step 4 is fine, but when you want to boot from the Windows installer, you'll need to do a boot override to get it to boot from the DVD or USB installer.

BrodyBoy
Level 10
If you have questions about other details in your steps, just ask. But you have the gist of it down pretty well.

The_Nemesis
Level 10
Which bay are you installing the drive? Are you removing the original drive and putting ssd in its place? I'm guessing you're not since you mentioned setting boot drive to ssd. I recommend install the drive in the first bay, moving original hard drive to second bay. The disable the second drive in bios. Boot from CD install windows, install drivers. Prior to all this however I would use the Asus Utility to create the backup partition on DVD's just in case you ever wanna go back to stock windows install.
Praetor
» i7 990X 3101A239
» Asus Rampage III Black Edition
» Asus GTX 470 & 570 Tri-SLI or Three Sapphire 5850's CFX
» 6GB Corsair Dominator GT TR3X6G1866C7GTF
» Corsiar Force Series 180GB
» CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W
» Microcool Banchetto 101
Defiant
» G74SX » 16GB ram » Corsiar Force Series 180GB » 750GB Seagate » Blu-ray

The Nemesis wrote:
Prior to all this however I would use the Asus Utility to create the backup partition on DVD's just in case you ever wanna go back to stock windows install.

Great point. While I'm no fan of OEM installations, and I think most owners savvy enough to do a clean install will never want/need to go back to it, why not keep one on hand? A simple, once-and-you're-done procedure, then you've always got it.

i just set my usb drive up as a bootable drive, and then put an iso of win 7 ult on it. then removed the hdd from bay 1, slipped in the ssd, and told the bios to load from the usb drive. done and done!!!! very easy and with less work on the hardware. just another perspective...

hope this helps.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

I never deleted the recovery partition on the original hard disk, I just changed the SSD to be the boot drive and had it boot sequence the DVD while installing. I will never ever need 750 GB so it can sit tight right there 🙂

I also left my regular hard drive alone as I had enough trouble with one of the screws on the second HDD caddy lol but everything was recognized so far so good 🙂

PS - I installed the SSD first then as soon as that was done went into the BIOS and did the 203 update with the external FAT32 Hard Drive I had already prepared and closed my eyes and crossed my fingers. Wanted to get that feeling of "I might brick my new laptop" out of the way as fast as possible.

Fortunately it took 30 seconds and flashed it perfectly 🙂

Thanks for all the helpful tip guys! You guys are great!

Thanks for the reminder on burning the backup discs! I just finished doing those and will set those aside :

I was planning to put the SSD in the first bay and removing the 2nd bay entirely during Win7 Installation. I'll put the 2nd HDD back into 2nd bay, and leave whatever I have on the 1st HDD, will the 1st HDD still work if anything goes wrong? What I mean is, I could replace my SSD with the 1st HDD and have the laptop still running?

To activate the boot overide, I just adjust that in Bios right?

I think I will give the BIOS 203 update a shot first. Hopefully everything goes well. I'll let you guys know 🙂

I might also need some help on which drivers to install. The list looks long and intimidating but I'll take it one step at time ^^