cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme vs Rampage Extreme 10 diffrences

From0toHero
Level 7
What are the main diffrences between this two Mainboards? Is it worth to change a very very stable system and update to the new version of the rampage?
21 REPLIES 21

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
"Worth it" is very difficult to quantify unless you're Loreal and then we all are...

I made the move and have to say I like the new board better. It is simply a bit more refined for the most part and I like the looks.

The only real performance gain for me seems to be the new Ttopology... meant I have tightened some timings on my RAM for lower voltage...a work in progress...holidays interrupted...but nice progress already

If cost is not an issue then I'd say go for it...

Well its less a cost question than the work, benefit, and in general any diffrences. I dont overclock so i guess it would be a rather cosmetic change than a necasscery one 🙂

Chino
Level 15
If you want the new features, then yes, it's definately worth it. I made the change just like Arne did and I have no regrets. 🙂

sergio77
Level 7
From0toHero wrote:
What are the main diffrences between this two Mainboards? Is it worth to change a very very stable system and update to the new version of the rampage?

New to specs for Edition 10
- Memory: 8 x DIMM, Max. 128GB of DDR4;
- Strorage: 1 x U.2 port, 10 x SATA 6Gb/s connector(s);
- LAN: Dual Gigabit LAN controllers (plus one Intel® I211-AT Gigabit LAN Controller);
- 2 x USB 3.1 integrated ports (Type-C and Type-A) ASMedia® USB 3.1 controller,;
- AURA RGB: Aura Lighting Control, Aura RGB Strip Headers, Aura Lighting Effects Synchronization;
- ASUS EZ Flash 3;
- Pre-mounted I/O shield;
- SafeSlot, the slot with the fortifying metal for an inherently stronger slot.
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 280L / Noctua NF-A14
Asus RAMPAGE V Extreme / Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4 3000MHz
Asus Strix GeForce GTX 980 / Asus VX279Q
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB / Samsung 850 Pro RAID 0 512GB
Cooler Master V1200 Platinum / CM Storm Trooper

Vlada011
Level 10
If you don't have problems maybe you should stay and on old version.
First board is very nice as well, I liked RVE from first day.
but if money is not problem Black version is much better board with more features and better if you want to keep X99 longer,
even owners are more satisfied with Black and report less problems.

That's always hard decision, if your board make you problem I would say Yes immediately, but you say Stable than I don't know...
If you want Skylake-EX maybe is better to wait next Rampage.
Anyway you will be more happy if you buy Black version, I know that.

Brighttail
Level 11
There was a few things for me when I changed:

- New water pump fan header and HW fan header
- Fan extension board (nice to have with 13 fans)
- Fan xpert 4 which is much nicer than 3
- Lighting and Aura makes it look very puuuuurdy
- The overclock and overall board seems a lot more stable than the R5E - I had corrupt BIOS and my system would hang in BIOS needing to be reset and overclocked about every 20 reboots. No problems with Edition 10
- The DAC if you want that
- More features like Ram Cache which never worked well with my older R5E
- As stated before, tighter memory timings. I was able to get my Corsair Platinum 3200 RAM down to 14-15-15-36 T1 with .01 voltage increase. Old board never got better than 16-18-18-39

For me it is worth it.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Vlada011
Level 10
Brightfall are you satisfied with Rampy Black now, I knew you had some special moments...
Now before 10 minutes I installed USB driver and suddenly I see from other room stay picture of BIOS on monitor.
What is now restart, again BIOS, I checked in boot section NO my OS driver... WTF...
And I remove SSD in P3 and now I see him. I can't check is it Port 1 OK. haaa haaa I afraid to check.

And My god ASUS...people, engineers, designers... How you recommend to someone remove GPU from first slot?
Because My recommendation is to use peace of cardbox and roll and push plastic lock between GPU and ROG LED Logo...
BECAUSE I CAN'T TOUCH LOCK WITH FINGERS and I never pull GPU before I move locker. 🙂 I mean it's not some big problem at all, only little tricks need.
I don't know what to think, my minds are confused,
I'm happy because I don't need to destroy documents on HDD before I order 1TB SSD and I afraid little because I don't know what is with my Port 1.
We will see when SSD and M.2 arrive.

Brighttail
Level 11
Yeah I'm happy with it. I think the first board I got was simply a dead board.
The second one it looked like it was a BIOS chip and when I switched to the backup BIOS everything worked great. I have gotten a new BIOS chip for the first one and all is good there.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Brighttail wrote:
Yeah I'm happy with it. I think the first board I got was simply a dead board.
The second one it looked like it was a BIOS chip and when I switched to the backup BIOS everything worked great. I have gotten a new BIOS chip for the first one and all is good there.

That's excellent news. When board work OK everything else is much easier.
Now you will love your board every day more and more. It's obvious that new version is better and worth higher price.
Yes it's expensive, but customers usually use one platform for 2-3 graphic cards.