cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just bought maximus viii hero, did I make mistake?

stoop14
Level 7
I'm building my first gaming rig, and liked the look of the maximus viii hero motherboard and bought one, it's on its way. Now I started to look at reviews and wow are there a lot of negative ones with issues with this board. Did I make a mistake? Or have these issues been resolved? Being my first time building Im not going to be great at trouble shooting stuff.
20 REPLIES 20

baggio2121
Level 7
I have no problems . You made a good choice ! Don't worry

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
There are a lot more people out there with no problems who never write anything than there are with problems...who naturally do write up...and over half of them are muppets who have glued their processor in with chewing gum "'cos their mate told 'em to" and don't have the power supply turned on...

You should have no probs...it's a great board

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
There are a lot more people out there with no problems who never write anything than there are with problems...who naturally do write up...and over half of them are muppets who have glued their processor in with chewing gum "'cos their mate told 'em to" and don't have the power supply turned on...

You should have no probs...it's a great board

What he said 59054

Barring DOA or something of the sort you now own one of the best Z170 boards money can buy, be happy and proud. The Windows issue is really Windows screwing up as usual, not the board or any of the other components, the anniversary update has been causing havoc since it came out 😛
CPU: i7-6700k @4.7ghz
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
GPU: Strix 980ti OC

RAM: 2x 8GB Ripjaws V 3200mhz C14
Motherboard: Maximus VIII Hero

SSD: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
HDD: 1x WD Black 4TB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Gold
CASE: Fractal Define R5 Black

Nate152
Hi Stoop14

Be sure you have an adequate psu and a good ram kit such G.Skill Trident Z or Kingston HyperX predator, some people have problems with corsair ram.

Yep, it's an awesome ROG board with more overclocking features and gaming features than a standard z170 board.

You're gonna love it, are you putting a 6700k in it with a good cooler?

stoop14
Level 7
I have g.skill tridentz 3200 ram with a evga 750 g2 psu. Yes a 6700k but not the best cooler just a cm 212 evo till I learn how to OC.

Nate152
That's awesome !

They are the perfect match for the maximus viii hero, a 750w psu is enough for a single gpu and overclocking and you might can over clock your 6700k some with the 212 evo but you could get something like the corsair h100i gtx cpu cooler.

You'll have to check the specs of your case and see if it could mount a 240mm radiator.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/corsair_h100i_gtx_review/7

There is a rebate on it too
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181090

brkkab123
Level 7
I've got a Maximus VII Hero. The only issues I'm experiencing are with Microsoft's Windows 10 Anniversary Update being buggy.
I did experience one issue with AI Suite and Asus. It was solved by updating a AI Suite 3 update Asus posted for the Z 170 Pro motherboards.
That's the issue Asus doesn't obviously truly support it's hardware after one year of releasing it.

stoop14
Level 7
Do I have to update the bios with a USB before I turn it on for the first time with all hardware attached?

Menthol
Level 14
No you don't, if your system functions as you like you never have to update a bios, a bios update may add compatibility for new or different hardware like memory or ssd's etc., or it may fix some issues that were discovered after manufacture, or other firmware for different chipsets on the motherboard
Bios updates are not a requirement if your system is working as intended