Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooling my recent build without another hiccup

Kittenjouster
Level 7
Hi Guys
I'm Chris I'm new to ROG,
Its been a while since I'd had a new (100%) PC and mine was all becoming entry level for most games so I built a new one over the space of 2 months (pic1),
AMD has always been my favorite brand as they've never disappointed me ever since my K62 300mhz in 1996.
Here are the specs
FX-9590
Crosshair V formula z
XFX Radeon 480 8Gb backplate edition
Thermaltake core P5 Case
EVGA Supernova 850 P2
4x 8Gb HyperX fury 1866 red (set unganged)
Samsung 850 EVO 256gb running Windows 10 Pro
Samsung 256gb M.2 Nvme 256gb in a PCIE x4 card in a 8x slot looking after steam
Half decent cooler as a temp measure while i accumulated the bits for a custom loop
Some fans on the VRM and rear of CPU socket (pic2+3)

Tricky to see under the cooler i used and I killed the 9590 because some paste oozed out and made contact with some pins of the CPU just after it scored 5th in the realbench leaderboard (AMD chips only)
A new one is on the way and although I'll not make that mistake again I'd find experienced advice invaluable when it comes to the cooling to go on the new chip.
So far I have an XSPC Raystorm Pro waterblock (pic4) and an XSPC ION Pump/Reservoir (specs Pic5).
What I'd like to know is,
1. Is that pump/res too small?
2. How big a Radiator is enough, 240, 360, 480?
3. Was I being paranoid with the VRM and back of the socket fans
4. I used CoolerMaster IC essential paste as I was out of arctic silver (runny stuff) and fried £200, which paste is best for 9590's
plus any other helpful things you guys can think of to lower the chances of me having to buy a third 9590
17 REPLIES 17

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Kittenjouster 🙂 An interesting setup.

1. Is that pump/res too small? I haven't seen any OL with your combination, so it's hard to say but from what iv'e heard the Raystorm pro and pump should be adequate.
I use an AIO for my setup.
2. How big a Radiator is enough.? The bigger the better and you have no restriction with your Thermaltake Core P5.
3. Was I being paranoid with the VRM and back of the socket fans.? Not at all, I have a small fan too on my backplate. Every little bit helps.
4. I used CoolerMaster IC for TIM. I only use AS5 and as little as possible. I test the spread and reapply using rice method. Always works for me.

So what OC have you taken the 9590 too and how.? Was it stable.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Thanks for the reply Meanmachine, I didn't overclock it, I spent ages getting the thing stable, I undervolted it to 1.375, and toyed around with the power settings, in the end it would only get up to 60 dc under full load, every time I tried to OC it even as much as 100mhz the temperature shot up too fast.
It was running pretty good though, I hope the new chip isn't a pain to get stable

MeanMachine
Level 13
Let me know when your up and running and I'll help to get Bios settings correct for stability.
There's not a great deal of headroom but you should be able to get 5.0GHz - 5.2GHz.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

Sound, Thanks
I saved an image of c drive after a clean install of windows 10 and I also saved and wrote down my power settings that worked really well, Im going to wait till i have the full loop ready before i put the new chip in and use a small dentist mirror to check for any paste overspill. That coolermaster IC was way runnier than any other paste I've used before, at first i thought I'd blown the lot, FF code and Dram LED , wouldn't even post

Kittenjouster wrote:
Sound, Thanks
I saved an image of c drive after a clean install of windows 10 and I also saved and wrote down my power settings that worked really well, Im going to wait till i have the full loop ready before i put the new chip in and use a small dentist mirror to check for any paste overspill. That coolermaster IC was way runnier than any other paste I've used before, at first i thought I'd blown the lot, FF code and Dram LED , wouldn't even post

FYI Kittenjouster you can save profiles in your Bios when OCing, if that is what you meant by "power settings that worked well"
Some poor quality TIM can by runny and separates. It should be a thick grease like soft putty.
Qcode FF is a mongrel code and not fully documented. It is hard to troubleshoot that stop error.:mad:

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

Pretty amazed, thought it'd be a bit of a headache but the chip refuses to overheat!!!!!!, might have to crank it up more

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi, I Just returned after a weeks break.
Wow!! Kittenjouster that's a pretty decent Realbench score. It would rank you 6th on the Leader board.
Register your score. Top score is 123472.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

managed a 121037 might have to leave it at that for the mo, It'll do 5.2ghz stable when benchmarking but runs games badly, 5.0ghz runs sweet

Kittenjouster wrote:
managed a 121037 might have to leave it at that for the mo, It'll do 5.2ghz stable when benchmarking but runs games badly, 5.0ghz runs sweet

Better scores can be got by using the Batchfile that optimizes windows and turns off certain services during the Benchmark. Better scores can be got that way.
I'll see if I can find the link to it, IF you want to try it.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]