cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog g752vs factory heatsink defect please read

STR8_AN94BALLER
Level 7
Factory heatsink thermal solution does not make proper contact with GPU VRM, possible burnout over time.

https://i.imgur.com/QZdvAQ4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/gvNYEPl.jpg

ASUS please use more thermal material on the VRM side!

I am referring to the black squares, not the grey one. The grey one are inductors and does not need to be cooled!

My disassembly guide: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-g752-series-vt-vy-vz-vl-vs-vw-disassembly-teardown-repa...
12 REPLIES 12

JustinThyme
Level 13
I see your point however Im not a believer in the bigger the blob the better the job concept either. Too much thermal paste will actually have an adverse effect and insulate instead of conduct. The problem doesnt appear to be a poor pasting job anywhere near as much as it does poor mounting and alignment of the heat sink. The idea of the thermal compound is to fill in microscopic surface scratches in both the components to be cooled and the heat sink itself to give greater contact surface area. I have to be honest with you in saying that if I saw someone blob that much thermal compound on a machine of mine I would have a major sheet fit and possibly go ballistic. Ive always done the exact opposite to improve thermal conductance. I remove the thermal pads and excessive sloppy paste and clean with denatured alcohol, assure proper alignment of the heat sink which sometimes requires lapping it down and apply a thin layer of thermal compound with a razor blade.
I do hope you realize that your warranty now = none.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
I see your point however Im not a believer in the bigger the blob the better the job concept either. Too much thermal paste will actually have an adverse effect and insulate instead of conduct. The problem doesnt appear to be a poor pasting job anywhere near as much as it does poor mounting and alignment of the heat sink. The idea of the thermal compound is to fill in microscopic surface scratches in both the components to be cooled and the heat sink itself to give greater contact surface area. I have to be honest with you in saying that if I saw someone blob that much thermal compound on a machine of mine I would have a major sheet fit and possibly go ballistic. Ive always done the exact opposite to improve thermal conductance. I remove the thermal pads and excessive sloppy paste and clean with denatured alcohol, assure proper alignment of the heat sink which sometimes requires lapping it down and apply a thin layer of thermal compound with a razor blade.
I do hope you realize that your warranty now = none.

no warranty seal, no proof of disassembly!

I do not intend to keep this laptop, only to test.

the fitment of the heatsink is good with the K5 Pro reapplied, any excess will be squeezed out the sides. keep in mind K5 Pro isn't a thermal paste, it's a substitute for thermal pad

a customer should always have easy access to heatsink and motherboard, seems like asus disagrees, this is why I will never buy one of their laptops!

except the GX800 and Strix gaming laptop, those two have very easy access to heatsink and repaste

JustinThyme
Level 13
Sorry brother but even the most casual of observers can tell that machine has been into. Doesn't take a seal to void a warranty, just for one tech to say its been into. Done.
All I can say is I highly disagree with your methodology and reasoning. The fitment of the heat sink doesn't magically change due to thermal compound. I don't use thermal pads or and huge heat insulting blobs.
Good luck with your venture.
Nice photos on the disassembly.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Sorry brother but even the most casual of observers can tell that machine has been into. Doesn't take a seal to void a warranty, just for one tech to say its been into. Done.
All I can say is I highly disagree with your methodology and reasoning. The fitment of the heat sink doesn't magically change due to thermal compound. I don't use thermal pads or and huge heat insulting blobs.
Good luck with your venture.
Nice photos on the disassembly.

the problem with the unit isn't the heatsink, it's the lack of thermal material applied to the vrm portion

k5 pro doesn't insulate, it's a thermal material. anything excess will be squeeze out the sides so there's no insulation.

the laptop isn't going to be kept, it's being returned to the store once I'm through testing the 6820HK myths

jamreal18
Level 7
Thanks for the warning...

ROG_HARDCORE
Level 7
Wait... so far alot of brand and gaming laptop i serviced all looks the same, they are normal instead. for over 4 years, MSI, ACER, ASUS, DELL, GIGABYTE, all does the same.
just they use thermal pad with low thermal conductivity VS, Thermal GEL which you see on above picture by OP.

i just lol anyway...

ROG_HARDCORE wrote:
Wait... so far alot of brand and gaming laptop i serviced all looks the same, they are normal instead. for over 4 years, MSI, ACER, ASUS, DELL, GIGABYTE, all does the same.
just they use thermal pad with low thermal conductivity VS, Thermal GEL which you see on above picture by OP.

i just lol anyway...

With other brand laptop, it's normal. But at least the thermal gel makes full contact with the intended component.

CerealKillerGuy
Level 7
I know I'm reviving an old post but considering the fact that the temps I get in Player Unknown's Battlegrounds are 99C on my CPU with stock voltage and around 95C with -100mv undervolt, i need to make a repaste. It will be my first time opening my g752vy and i want to be prepared for it. About the VRM's not making contact with the heatsink, would it be better to use thermal pads instead of paste? Or maybe i am mistaking and it's some gel applied on the VRM's, i don't know for sure. Any tips for the best spread of the paste on the GPU and CPU?
Also, i forgot to mention that i reduced the multipliers on my CPU with Intel XTU like this:
1 active core -> 33x
2 active cores ->32x
3 active cores ->31x
4 active cores ->30x

Darnassus
Status Under Review
He means the VRM that isn't pasted at all, nor makes contact with the sink. And possibly the other two at the bottom right.

It bothers me too.. not sure why it's not covered.. almost as if it's designed to be a ticking time bomb.

The only way to cool it is to put an enormous blob of K5-PRO and have it touch the heat pipe, or place a small mini copper sink on it.. or anything really to bridge the gap.