Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Nostromo: X99, Painted Black RVE, 3-Way 980 Ti SLI, Hardline [FINAL PICS!!]

Hey all!

Well, this is it. Likely the most extravagant computer I'll ever build. I'll be painting the motherboard, installing an illuminated midpate, and generally making no compromises. It's what I've been dreaming of ever since I started building computers.

I have some cool ideas of where to take this thing, and can't wait to share them with you all. I'll also be following along with videos, which I'll post here. Hopefully y'all will find them helpful, even though the vast majority of you are much more skilled than I. Accordingly, I'd love any tips or cautionary tales you can share.

But, first things first! The parts:

Components
    CPU: Intel i7 5960X
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG Rampage V Extreme
    GPU: 3x EVGA SuperClocked GTX 980Ti
    RAM: 64 GB G.skill Ripjaws 3000 Mhz
    OS Drive: Samsung 950 Pro 256 GB m.2 SSD
    Application Drive: Intel 750 400GB PCIe NVMe SSD
    Data Drive: Intel 730 1TB SSD
    PSU: Corsair AX 1500i

Watercooling
    CPU/RAM Loop:
    ASUS Rampage V Monoblock
    EK Monarch RAM Blocks with Clear Acrylic Tops
    Aquacomputer Aqualis 800 Reservoir, Aquacomputer D5 Pump and Pump Top
    HWLabs Black Ice GTX 560 Radiator w/ Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro PL-2 PWM fans
    Mayhems Pastel Ice White

GPU Loop Loop:
    3x EK-FC Nickel (Original CSQ) GPU Waterblocks & Backplates
    EK-FC Triple Serial SLI Block
    Aquacomputer Aqualis 800 Reservoir, Aquacomputer D5 Pump and Pump Top
    CPU 2x EK XE 480 Radiators w/ EK Vardar PWM fans
    Mayhems Pastel Mint Greent

Other Parts
    Aquacomputer Aquaero 6XT
    Aquacomputer Farbwerk
    PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Onyx Black Tubing
    PrimoChill 1/2in Rigid PETG Tubing
    Tons of fittings, mostly Bitspower

Let's get started!

Table of Contents:
    Part 1: Building the Case
    Part 2: Painting the Board
    Video 1: Assembly and Intro
    Part 3: Installing the Blocks
    Video 2: Painting and Waterblocks
    Last edited by ratzofftoya; 04-23-2016 at 01:28 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

First off, let's build this case!

So many parts. Could not be happier with the build quality. Not a single screw was missing, and everything is super sturdy.

The indispensable manual:

The skeleton:

I love the brackets for the radiators and fans--makes them super easy to install in the case.

Must climb the summit of Aquacomputer mountain:

The pumps find a home:

Sizing up the pump and res combo to make the holes in the midplate:

And here's the test-fit in order to get the custom cable lengths and other necessary measurements:

ROG Enthusiast Array

What does one do when there's no such thing as an Asus Rampage V Black Edition? Make your own, of course!

Before...

Tools of the trade. X-acto, tons of tape, acrylic paint, and brushes.

I also used a cheapo DDR4 stick of ram (as though there is such a thing!) and an old PCIe card to block each slot as I painted it. There are other techniques out there of course. Spraypaint, Plasti-Dip, etc. But I felt like this would give me the nicest finish, precision, and a bit of texture to boot. The results:

Not too shabby. You can still see a bit of red inside the slots, but none once they're plugged, and I'd rather have that then the chance of the contacts getting messed up.[/quote]
    Last edited by ratzofftoya; 11-09-2015 at 07:35 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

ROG Enthusiast Array

n this update, I'll cover the waterblock placement.

First, a few shots of the motherboard block (EK's Full Cover Monoblock). I really like it, and it wasn't too hard to put on.

Next, I put on the EK full cover blocks for the GTX 980 Tis:

Finally, I did the RAM blocks. Step one was removing the Ripjaws heatspreader with a heat gun and some old fashioned prying. Be careful! A friend (ahem) once ripped off one of the chips in this process.

Unfortunately, the adhesive leaves some weird residue on the chips:

Normally, I use isopropyl alcohol or the specialized TIM remover for this task, but the TIM remover wasn't working well on the adhesive, and I was all out of alcohol. Nail polish remover, while not recommended, will do the trick:

Now for the thermal pads:

And, then putting on the Monarch heatspreaders. Note that when you're putting the ram sticks into the heatspreaders, make sure they're in roughly the same position. DIMMs on the board don't move, obviously, so you want the Monarch screw holes to all line up when the RAM is in so that you can properly attach the waterblock on top.

Now to see it all on the mobo:

Au revoir!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Banned Array Hardliner PC Specs
    Hardliner PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Extended ATX Intel MOBO
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-5960X Haswell-E 8-Core 3.0 GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W BX80648I75960X Desktop Processor
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800 (PC4 22400) F4-2800C15Q2-64GRK
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN X Hydro Copper P/N: 12G-P4-2999-KR
    Graphics Card #2EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN X Hydro Copper P/N: 12G-P4-2999-KR
    MonitorASUS ROG PG278Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 144Hz 1ms DisplayPort Ergonomic BackLit LED G-SYNC Gaming Monitor
    Storage #1Intel 750 Series SSDPEDMW400G4R5 HHHL (CEM2.0) 400GB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive
    Storage #2x2 Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E1T0B/AM) in RAID 0
    CPU CoolerEK-FB ASUS R5E Monoblock - Acetal+Nickel; Alphacool Full Copper Rads - two 480mm and two 240mm
    CaseCorsair's Obsidian Series® 900D Super Tower Case
    Power SupplyCORSAIR AX1500i CP-9020057-NA 1500W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS Titanium certified Full Modular
    Keyboard ASUS STRIX TACTIC PRO Gaming Keyboard with Cherry MX Brown Switches
    Mouse Mionix Castor RGB Ergonomic Optical Gaming Mouse
    Headset Corsair Gaming VOID USB Gaming Headset Carbon (CA-9011130-NA)
    Mouse Pad RAZER Goliathus SPEED Edition Soft Mouse Pad - Extended
    OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro | USB Flash Drive
    Accessory #1 TRACKIR 5 Pro Bundle: TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro
    Accessory #2 x12 be quiet! SILENT WINGS 2 PWM 120mm max.1500RPM/1 be quiet! SILENT WINGS 2 PWM 140mm max.1000RPM
    Accessory #3 EK-Dual DDC 3.2 PWM X-TOP (incl. pump) w/ optional 'Black' Sleeve Color

Excellent build, Eugene, and it is a lot like mine! I REALLY like that you painted the R5E all black. I wanted to put the I/O heatsink back on after installing the EK Monoblock, too, but I did not want to break it in case I want to resell it.

Are you blocking only four sticks of the eight RAM?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Hardliner View Post
    Excellent build, Eugene, and it is a lot like mine! I REALLY like that you painted the R5E all black. I wanted to put the I/O heatsink back on after installing the EK Monoblock, too, but I did not want to break it in case I want to resell it.

Are you blocking only four sticks of the eight RAM?
    No, I did all eight--just showed the process for four.

As for the i/o shield, I've heard that you can heat it up and remove it that way, then you can reinstall later if necessary. Something to consider!

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array RoG's Avatar

epic, keep up the good work!

ROG Enthusiast Array

A couple brief updates for you guys....

First off, the people spoke, and I listened. Nostromo 2016! I took off the waterblocks and --lightly-- polished them up, leading to clearer tops. I think this achieves the right balance:

Also, the cables from UPC (Ultimate Personal Computers) are done! Big shout out to those guys, they look great.

And, finally, a little sneak preview of what's coming next.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast