cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero Alpha Discrete GPU Issue

pcfr33k
Level 8
I just bought the motherboard from Newegg. I have both a EVGA GT 650 and a EVGA GTX 770 4GB. Neither one will give me a signal through two different monitors and different connections. One is your basic DVI/VGA 27 inch monitor and the other is a Samsung 4K with only HDMI/Display port connections.

I have no issue getting signal from the Intel built into GPU 530. I even went into advanced, I think 3rd option and SET gpu from igpu to PEG then even tried PCIE.

If a discrete GPU is inserted,
I cannot get a signal from the Intel built in GPU which makes no sense what so ever. These graphics cards work fully on a Z77 and Z97 boards. The GTX 770 does have the Bios UEFI capable setting while the 650 is probably legacy only. I tired changing CSM to disable and re-enable no good. Weird I just read a thread on the GTX 1080 and finally resolved from re-seating the card in the PCI slot. I am about 99% sure the cards were being seated correctly and the GT 650 is half the size no way to go wrong with seating that card.

Any ideas here? Is it very possible the graphics cards need a Bios update for Skylake Motherboards or is there a need for the Hero Alpha Bios update to support somewhat older cards? The GTX-770 is not that old but maybe the 650 is a little older.

I have 16x4 Corsair Vengence (64GB) 2400 speed and in the QVL memory list. I tried with one memory module made no difference.
Samsung Sata 850 Pro 512GB. i7-6700K. No issues with Processor or Pins on CPU or Board.
4 REPLIES 4

Nate152
Hi pcfr33k

I was using two 680's in sli on the maximus viii formula with no problems, install your 770 and clear the cmos or reset to defaults.

If you're using windows 7 let csm enabled.

Make sure you have the proper pcie power cables connected to your 770.

To use the intel cpu graphics and a pcie gpu with two monitors make sure multi monitor support is enabled in the bios.

Let us know if any of this helps.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi pcfr33k

I was using two 680's in sli on the maximus viii formula with no problems, install your 770 and clear the cmos or reset to defaults.

If you're using windows 7 let csm enabled.

Make sure you have the proper pcie power cables connected to your 770.

To use the intel cpu graphics and a pcie gpu with two monitors make sure multi monitor support is enabled in the bios.

Let us know if any of this helps.

Well it sat all day while I was at work which who knows maybe the Caps completely discharged or I put the card into the 2nd PCEI slot and the DVI monitor got signal from the card, however withMulti Monitor support the HDMI/Display Port has no signal to the Samsung Monitor unless Dual Monitor does not work in the Bios and only once booted into an OS?

Maybe the card actually clicked in better as there was another post regarding that the card was not really completely seated. The metal flat heatsink does sit a bit high.

For the life of me I cannot find the option to disable the PS2/serial connector? There should be an option to disable that according to some threads on other motherboards so maybe the Hero Alpha Bios does not offer that feature?

Nate152
Good to hear you have display, I have the maximus viii formula and I don't recall seeing an option to disable the ps2 port.

I can disable wifi, bluetooth and the asmedia sata ports.

Nate152 wrote:
Good to hear you have display, I have the maximus viii formula and I don't recall seeing an option to disable the ps2 port.

I can disable wifi, bluetooth and the asmedia sata ports.

Well it happened again no signal not sure what is going on but once I removed the card and placed it into the next PCI slot (8x) boot up with signal then moved it back to 16x first PCI slot it works again. I think we have a buggy Bios (APIC) most likely since this is some major change in Skylake. The PCH configuration APIC 24-119, with or without it I still get a black screen. If I cannot solve I am sending it back and just waiting for the next generation MB's.

Edited 8-24-2016:

I have the Cooler Master 1000 PS and its working fine. I decided to connect two separate PCIe power connectors to it instead of the one which has 8 pin and 6 pins. I don't think this is the reason why because with the EVGA 650 2GB card with one 6 pin PCIe power connector the same thing was happening.

So it buggy sometimes I see the post screen other times the signal is not there and the screen goes black then I un-power the monitor and re-power it and when the windows 10 starts I have signal again. Something strange is going on with the Bios POST with the 16x PCIe slot. I think Asus needs to check on this with the EVGA GTX 770 4GB and the EVGA 650 2GB cards just to see on their end if a Bios update is needed.

Thanks

Edited Again 8-25-2016:

Well Everything seems back to normal now. I believe I may have the answer to this problem. Not sure yet have to do more testing. SOmething must happen to the CMOS after removing the HDMI or Display port cables before the power on the PC is completely off, meaning not waiting long enough for all the caps to discharge (lights on MB off). If I remove the cable before that or make a small change inside the PC like replace the SATA drive this is when I run into the problem. It may just be replacing the sata drive while the PC is off but MB power is still enabled (lights still on). Maybe that affects the CMOS somehow? It comes down to that either removing the Monitor cable or sata drive while PC is powered off but motherboard still has power to it. I will test this some more or if anyone else is willing to try this to see if you get the same effect?

Edited for the last time 8-2-2016 [Solved]

I cannot believe I was not able to trouble shoot this from the very beginning looking for everything else!! Well at least this board behaves this way. So far I have tested these two cards, EVGA GTX 770 and EVGA GT 650 and newer cards like the Nvidia 900 series or later may not behave this way? I have other cards I will try like evga 760 and I may try older ones like the 610 and 210 cards. In the UEFI Bios under Advanced/System Agent (SA) Configuration/Graphics Configuration/Primary Display. I had that set to Auto and Multi Monitor to Enable. According to the manual when set like this both integrated (iGPU) and Discrete (my case Nvidia) graphic cards should output to monitors. Well I have only one monitor connected so when connect to iGPU I do see the Bios Post but when I connect the monitor to the Discrete EVGA card I have no signal of Bios post but once it boots to windows I have signal. If I change the setting to PCIe or PEG then the discrete card does have signal on Bios Post, and if I set this to iGPU I have signal to bios post but not Discrete EVGA graphics which I believe is acceptable but if I have this set to Auto with Multi-Monitor enabled it should give me signal to two monitors and/or to one monitor depending on which Display Port I decide to use either discrete or iGPU!!

I spent all weekend trying to figure out exactly what was wrong from removing my Cooler Master Power supply and connecting a Seasonic 1200 Platinum I had laying around. Tried re-seating the memory. Also used one stick of memory and an entire slew of settings in the Bios to trouble shoot this.

I believe this is some bug in the Bios and I will report to Asus accordingly.

Thanks