cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75vw startup problem (with video)

MeteoricDragon
Level 7
My G75vw is slow to start up, but the speed isn't the problem. The way it acts while starting up is the problem. It doesn't have the same problem when restarting though.

The only thing I installed was a Samsung 840 EVO SSD 750gb and took out the HDD. The SSD has 9 terabytes written to it.

Here's a link to the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3StDurBpSis

I paused recording to enter login password and resumed recording. The ROG logo appears, then it hangs for a while, then you can see the ROG logo one more time, then the homescreen appears. I enter login info, then it hangs for a while. The InstantOn widget appears but the desktop is slow to load.

One time, the laptop crashed without any warning. and powered off instantly. I'm unsure if this is related.
7 REPLIES 7

Gps3dx
Level 12
I think this link of an old thread might be your best chance into understanding what is going on...

Best thing to do is that you RMA you laptop, if you're still under warranty, which I guess you're not.

other then that, ppl on that thread talks about fixing the mbr.... which is IMHO really easy to perform, but nontheless an odd "fix" IMHO, as I really don't understand the connection to a 5 sec black-screen delay just entering login info and before desktop arrive...
again... I can stop all the following next "long talk" and just tell you to create windows installation USB, boot it, enter CMD and run the command "bootrec /fixmbr"..... reboot -> that's it.

The thing is that I advise you that you better end of doing "overhaul" to your ssd.... don't panic... please let me explain....
As in everything in this world, starting with theoretical knowledge ( aka guides ) is a smart move:
Please see my "how to install windows the proper way" guide ( link at my sig, or just look for it as it is a sticky thread ).... at least the part where I talk about the pluses of working on GPT instead of MBR.
now... you wonder why is that...
well.. you're using SSD... which can really enhance and speed up your windows experience.... BUT, you should utilize its "powers" in the right manner...
The "overhaul" I mentioned, is actually the need to format the SSD as GPT formatted drive.
then, either start windows from scratch, or restore/copy a backup of your current windows. ( I suggest the former ).

"MBR" start for the OLD tech that was used to "format" hdd/sdd.... which you *might* be using right now.... it is possible to work with MBR formatted drive even with windows 10.... but you won't be getting out all the "good juicy stuff" that your ssd and laptop can give - which is utilizing the UEFI firmware, instead of using BIOS emulation ( i.e CSM mode enabled in the "bios" ) and GPT instead of MBR.

my guide should basically tells you everything you need to know to perform such "overhaul" to you SSD - and that should ( theoretically, if you don;t got any HW issue at hand like bad screen/connectors etc.. ) solve your issue of that "black screen" after windows login.

lastly, please goto samsung's site and get the latest firmware update for your EVO 840 ( by downloading and using "disk magician" ) as this is important for getting the best performance out of this ssd.
also, i'm not so sure that enabling "rapid mode" on this ssd is advisable...

hope this help you out.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:
I think this link of an old thread might be your best chance into understanding what is going on...

Best thing to do is that you RMA you laptop, if you're still under warranty, which I guess you're not.

other then that, ppl on that thread talks about fixing the mbr.... which is IMHO really easy to perform, but nontheless an odd "fix" IMHO, as I really don't understand the connection to a 5 sec black-screen delay just entering login info and before desktop arrive...
again... I can stop all the following next "long talk" and just tell you to create windows installation USB, boot it, enter CMD and run the command "bootrec /fixmbr"..... reboot -> that's it.

The thing is that I advise you that you better end of doing "overhaul" to your ssd.... don't panic... please let me explain....
As in everything in this world, starting with theoretical knowledge ( aka guides ) is a smart move:
Please see my "how to install windows the proper way" guide ( link at my sig, or just look for it as it is a sticky thread ).... at least the part where I talk about the pluses of working on GPT instead of MBR.
now... you wonder why is that...
well.. you're using SSD... which can really enhance and speed up your windows experience.... BUT, you should utilize its "powers" in the right manner...
The "overhaul" I mentioned, is actually the need to format the SSD as GPT formatted drive.
then, either start windows from scratch, or restore/copy a backup of your current windows. ( I suggest the former ).

"MBR" start for the OLD tech that was used to "format" hdd/sdd.... which you *might* be using right now.... it is possible to work with MBR formatted drive even with windows 10.... but you won't be getting out all the "good juicy stuff" that your ssd and laptop can give - which is utilizing the UEFI firmware, instead of using BIOS emulation ( i.e CSM mode enabled in the "bios" ) and GPT instead of MBR.

my guide should basically tells you everything you need to know to perform such "overhaul" to you SSD - and that should ( theoretically, if you don;t got any HW issue at hand like bad screen/connectors etc.. ) solve your issue of that "black screen" after windows login.

lastly, please goto samsung's site and get the latest firmware update for your EVO 840 ( by downloading and using "disk magician" ) as this is important for getting the best performance out of this ssd.
also, i'm not so sure that enabling "rapid mode" on this ssd is advisable...

hope this help you out.

I'm guessing that you mean RMA the SSD right? because the SSD was something I added after i bought the laptop. I've used the SSD in the laptop for about 2 years now. It has the latest firmware. This problem just started recently, which is whyI think something is wearing out, maybe the SSD?

Why do you think it might be the MBR causing the problem?

Gps3dx
Level 12
Hi again,
I ment RMA the laptop - as this issue might be a HW based ( like a loose cable, issue with LCD etc ).

if it is a SW, issue - you need to either take the short or the long approach:
The short is just to rebuild your MBR.
The long is to leave MBR behind and "upgrade"( i.e start using the avaliable tech that you have ) to GPT and UEFI ( i.e CSM in bios is DISABLED ), and enjoying better features that GPT and UEFI offers over MBR and Legacy BIOS. ( read my guide to understand these tech offer ).

A quit way to identify if your issue is HW is to boot from the orig hdd with the prior windows you had ( from where you copied it to the ssd ) and see if the issue exist with it as well.
if not - at least the issue is because of the SSD - and my estimation is that because of a "SW" issue - i.e something is wring with its MBR, or even better, leave MBR tech behind and format it as GPT, and start using UEFI tech that your laptop can offer ( which means you need to install windows from scratch or restoring the same windows onto a 3rd partition on a GPT formatted ssd.... look inside my guide to understand what are the first TWO partition that you MUST have on a GPT formattted ssd/hdd )
Asus G751JT
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:
Hi again,
I ment RMA the laptop - as this issue might be a HW based ( like a loose cable, issue with LCD etc ).

The long is to leave MBR behind and "upgrade"( i.e start using the avaliable tech that you have ) to GPT and UEFI ( i.e CSM in bios is DISABLED ), and enjoying better features that GPT and UEFI offers over MBR and Legacy BIOS. ( read my guide to understand these tech offer ).

A quit way to identify if your issue is HW is to boot from the orig hdd with the prior windows you had ( from where you copied it to the ssd ) and see if the issue exist with it as well.
if not - at least the issue is because of the SSD - and my estimation is that because of a "SW" issue - i.e something is wring with its MBR, or even better, leave MBR tech behind and format it as GPT, and start using UEFI tech that your laptop can offer ( which means you need to install windows from scratch or restoring the same windows onto a 3rd partition on a GPT formatted ssd.... look inside my guide to understand what are the first TWO partition that you MUST have on a GPT formattted ssd/hdd )

I'm still reading and processing your instructions (i'm new to a lot of this terminology) but I did put my original HDD in, and found that it didn't have any problems.
I have another question, What is that mechanical sound that happens during startup, once before each time the ROG logo appears. And why would it make that sound frequently while using the computer? (sometimes more than others) and is it any concern?

Gps3dx wrote:
Hi again,

@Gps3dx
Ok, I've got some information. I called Samsung Tech support and I got a really helpful technician. We found out that my samsung magician software was out of date, and it was incorrectly reporting that my firmware was up to date. I updated the firmware and the problem was gone. He said that about a year ago, the 840 evo series had an error in which data that hadn't been accessed in a long time would actually slow down the drive starting up.

MeteoricDragon wrote:
@Gps3dx
Ok, I've got some information. I called Samsung Tech support and I got a really helpful technician. We found out that my samsung magician software was out of date, and it was incorrectly reporting that my firmware was up to date. I updated the firmware and the problem was gone. He said that about a year ago, the 840 evo series had an error in which data that hadn't been accessed in a long time would actually slow down the drive starting up.

wonderful news !
I'm happy for you that you have the ability to call that support team... I don't have that luxury in my country ( or the chances that I really get to talk with an export ) in most cases, thus making me read&read&read and asking questions in forums like this.

Does the firmware upgrade solved your black screen issue ?
Asus G751JT
My Guides:

Gps3dx wrote:
wonderful news !
I'm happy for you that you have the ability to call that support team... I don't have that luxury in my country ( or the chances that I really get to talk with an export ) in most cases, thus making me read&read&read and asking questions in forums like this.

Does the firmware upgrade solved your black screen issue ?

@Gps3dx
My victory celebration was premature...

I tried starting up the computer and the black screen reappeared. I called tech support again and described the issue in detail. I explained how one time the computer just shut down as if someone had been holding the power button for 5 seconds. he said he thinks there's a problem with the drive connecting to the computer. It's under warranty status so I'm doing an RMA with Samsung now.

on a side note, The first tech support guy had me run a performance optimization. He said the procedure goes to each of the cells and resets the voltage to the way they were when the drive first started? or something like that? I think i noticed a slight speed increase, like 2 or 3 seconds less. but still was slow.