cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS RoG Swift PG348Q Flickering

OzanakÄ_n
Level 7
The flicker itself covers the entire top side of the screen from left to right and its about 2-3cm in height. its happen when g-sync ON. And I RMA my previous monitor for thıs issue.

And finally my second monitor come. and the top of the monitor filickering again same problem with the previous one. This one has little blb and no dead pixel and scanlines. but top of the screen flickering adn gysync demo here its the video. should I rma again. ı can not see this in games but is this a problem of panel ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTbCYfMnzAM
12 REPLIES 12

Wipeowt
Level 7
Hello,
I am curious as to if you ever found a solution to this issue, or if any others have came across this also? After taking the plunge and getting this monitor I had the exact same issue when overclocked greater than 85Hz. I've now sent it back as a bad job and awaiting replacement.

aceridgey
Level 7
I get it too.

Could you test this for me?

Download the gync pendulm test, turn on the FPS counter through the monitor settings and put the max/min FPS to 20 in the pendulum.

Gsync on and keep the mouse still/off screen. You should see the FPS stay at 20 and no flickering. Now move your mouse, does your fps counter change and induce flickering?

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
I also have the Asus RoG Swift PG278Q and I also get this weird screen flicker now and then, and mine is always at 144mhz

Well I received a new PG348Q through scans RMA service. They confirmed a fault with the monitor I returned. Excellent service if not a little lengthy (16 days) but this was partly due to the courier claiming they called to collect on the agreed day and claiming there was no answer; I was in all day! ... and to be fair scan did say they were running a little behind with regards to RMA's. Overall though it was a good level of service.

Anyway, new monitor arrived, anxiety levels were up (incidentally I feel this response is a massive failing on the behalf of ASUS; consumers should not feel this level of heightened anxiety, especially when spending this much hard earned cash, purely due to poor manufacturing process and QC! There are clear issues with this product that has not been addressed in almost a year!

So, new monitor; no dead pixels, minimal BLB and reasonable uniformity although the top half of the monitor is a little brighter than the bottom.

Flicker; almost non existent. Games that it was evident in at 100Hz I can no longer perceive it. Now I say almost because there are some games that still demonstrate this behaviour. In particular at high FPS. I'm starting to think that this is an artefact of G-Sync; maybe the games in question stall at brief intervals and cause the G-Sync to become WTF-Sync (ie below the 30fps indicated lower range). I say this because.....

@aceridgey
I performed the test, and FPS lower than 30, ie doing the example you advised with the pendulum demo exhibits this flaw to it's purist extent. It is bizarre how the flicker along the top of the screen at 20FPS is not present/non-perceivable until the mouse is moved.

I also notice when firing up Windows Remote Desktop with G-Sync enabled and set for Windowed and Full Screen, the FPS drops to below 30 and seems to slowly work its way back up, during which time the flicker along the top of the screen happens also. The flicker happens even when the FPS is above 30, whilst steadily reaching 100 once again; maybe there continues to be micro stalls here also that are too fast to be reflected in the FPS counter? I don't know and have not attempted to conduct any FCAT tests as yet.

So, Setting the monitor to 100Hz, G-Sync off; no issues. So maybe the panel is fine? G-Sync on, with a steady high FPS, again no flicker. Some titles/software with fluctuating FPS and the flicker is prominently there. Purely a G-Sync issue? Maybe.

I personally feel this is a G-Sync related issue, and considering the huge premium for the technology I feel a little hoodwinked by NVidia at this stage. It isn't perfect; even within the advertised frequency range that is reported by the monitor and other tools (as per NVidia advertising), is has obvious flaws; poor handling of stalls/low refresh rates (not acknowledged by NVidia) and to be fair I feel my consumer rights have been violated at this juncture. I may seek legal advice on this one. If it is purely related to the TFT refresh issue, then IMHO the technology itself is fundamentally flawed. It's like promoting a super-diesel fuel, and pairing it with a petrol car and blaming the cars limitations when it only gets you 2 feet down the road! The 2 are obviously incompatible.

I digress! ... It would be nice to get some further feedback please from others relating to this issue and the circumstances under which it reared it's ugly head.

EDIT: Upon reflection this post appears rather negative. I guess I was just ventilating my frustrations at a small set of difficulties that may appear under selective circumstances. One thing I can say is that when this technology does work optimally it is absolutely incredible! Breath taking, in fact!

Wipeowt wrote:
Well I received a new PG348Q through scans RMA service. They confirmed a fault with the monitor I returned. Excellent service if not a little lengthy (16 days) but this was partly due to the courier claiming they called to collect on the agreed day and claiming there was no answer; I was in all day! ... and to be fair scan did say they were running a little behind with regards to RMA's. Overall though it was a good level of service.

Anyway, new monitor arrived, anxiety levels were up (incidentally I feel this response is a massive failing on the behalf of ASUS; consumers should not feel this level of heightened anxiety, especially when spending this much hard earned cash, purely due to poor manufacturing process and QC! There are clear issues with this product that has not been addressed in almost a year!

So, new monitor; no dead pixels, minimal BLB and reasonable uniformity although the top half of the monitor is a little brighter than the bottom.

Flicker; almost non existent. Games that it was evident in at 100Hz I can no longer perceive it. Now I say almost because there are some games that still demonstrate this behaviour. In particular at high FPS. I'm starting to think that this is an artefact of G-Sync; maybe the games in question stall at brief intervals and cause the G-Sync to become WTF-Sync (ie below the 30fps indicated lower range). I say this because.....

@aceridgey
I performed the test, and FPS lower than 30, ie doing the example you advised with the pendulum demo exhibits this flaw to it's purist extent. It is bizarre how the flicker along the top of the screen at 20FPS is not present/non-perceivable until the mouse is moved.

I also notice when firing up Windows Remote Desktop with G-Sync enabled and set for Windowed and Full Screen, the FPS drops to below 30 and seems to slowly work its way back up, during which time the flicker along the top of the screen happens also. The flicker happens even when the FPS is above 30, whilst steadily reaching 100 once again; maybe there continues to be micro stalls here also that are too fast to be reflected in the FPS counter? I don't know and have not attempted to conduct any FCAT tests as yet.

So, Setting the monitor to 100Hz, G-Sync off; no issues. So maybe the panel is fine? G-Sync on, with a steady high FPS, again no flicker. Some titles/software with fluctuating FPS and the flicker is prominently there. Purely a G-Sync issue? Maybe.

I personally feel this is a G-Sync related issue, and considering the huge premium for the technology I feel a little hoodwinked by NVidia at this stage. It isn't perfect; even within the advertised frequency range that is reported by the monitor and other tools (as per NVidia advertising), is has obvious flaws; poor handling of stalls/low refresh rates (not acknowledged by NVidia) and to be fair I feel my consumer rights have been violated at this juncture. I may seek legal advice on this one. If it is purely related to the TFT refresh issue, then IMHO the technology itself is fundamentally flawed. It's like promoting a super-diesel fuel, and pairing it with a petrol car and blaming the cars limitations when it only gets you 2 feet down the road! The 2 are obviously incompatible.

I digress! ... It would be nice to get some further feedback please from others relating to this issue and the circumstances under which it reared it's ugly head.

EDIT: Upon reflection this post appears rather negative. I guess I was just ventilating my frustrations at a small set of difficulties that may appear under selective circumstances. One thing I can say is that when this technology does work optimally it is absolutely incredible! Breath taking, in fact!

Thanks for your reply,

I am still getting the flickering etc, do you get this? I have been offered an RMA but I reluctant as these are "refirbed units" rather than new, which makes me very anxious.

Kind regards,

Alex

Asryan
Level 10
Hi I have the same issue..

Are we talking about that : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rvY_jDIgQI ?

I tried many things, figured out that using Fast Sync will fix the flicker issue but will induce some stuttering in game so it's not a solution.

I saw that putting the screen at 95hz instead of 100hz will fix it but it doesn't work for me.

i can't RMA anymore .

It's not visible in every game which is quite weird.

Anyone got a solution for that since the last post on this topic?

My stop working for good, cannot find my PC in any port lots of $$$$ for a black screen

Asryan
Level 10
Any news on that?

Naennon
Level 7
radio silence over there