cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending G752VY for RMA/black screen issue/need opinions

Kidfisto
Level 7
Hi,

after consulting with ASUS support they told me to send my G752VY for repair. One thing I am having a difficulty with is that they won't detect the malfunction, because it happens occasionally..

My problem: after some time screen goes black, and never turns on back agin. So to be clear, laptop is on, i see the red glowing power button, i think keyboard light works
as well. But whatever I try to wake it - does not work. Only way to bring it back to life is to shut it down and turn it back on.

I read this forum ofcourse and tried following:
1. Update bios to 213
2. Disable hibernate and fast startup
3. Tried various power options
4. Updated all of the drivers, especially IMEI (take a look at the attached screenshot), and nvidia latest drivers-
5. Uninstalled asus quick charge + and rog center
6. Did a rollback of W10 Anniversary update

I have to also mention that I use since i bought the laptop donotspy10 application not to let windows know everything, and windows update is mostly disabled in services.msc
Dont know if this can cause issues? See screenshots.
In the event viewer I get event id 37, kernel processor power error, new chipset drivers should have fixed this but they didn't.
Does my unit really have a HW defect? Did anybody else have this issue and sent laptop for RMA and got it working like it is supposed to.

Did I miss something?

Thanks,
10 REPLIES 10

Simao
Level 7
Make a clean install of windows

JustinThyme
Level 13
Im not one to advise clean installs. if you look through you the posts here the stories of people trying to get back to where they were are not few.

First thing I would try is another monitor, even TV though HDMI to see if that works.

If still nothing I would do a factory reset and start all over. Just go to settings, update and security, recovery, reset this PC. This is of course if you have not wiped the factory image because you did a so called "clean install". That will take you back to square one, right out of the box.

Never heard of the Do not spy app. Not that worried about conspiracy theories and hardware firewall works fine to keep people out. I let windows update do its thing. I keep a weekly backup so if anyting goes wrong (never has since windows 3.1) I can just restore from a back up.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Kidfisto
Level 7
Hi,

The Monitor should not be the issue, because the display is black also on the laptop.
I have and original windows which shipped with NB so I can restore it anytime. Yes I did do a clean install because of the posts here that I would get rid of bloatware that comes pre-installed + supposed to be faster?
Are you running the same Windows which shipped with NB?

Kidfisto
Level 7
Any thoughts on this?

httuner
Level 9
I had the exact same problem; Don't send it back in for RMA; they won't fix it. It's not a hardware issue, it is a windows 10 issue. Along the way I somehow fixed my issue, I don't know how but it worked.

This happens mostly when the laptop goes to sleep and can't wakeup from it; or it does wakeup but the screen never comes back on. I believe this has to do with a Boot error with windows 10; I had this problem that went on forever and it bugged the hell out of me; even with the OEM install of windows 10 that Asus originally had on the laptop; I did 3 fresh installs and still had the same problem.

What I discovered is that windows 10 loves corrupting the Boot files which for some reason causes this black screen b/s; What you'll need to do is Download EasyUEFI (Google for it) Its a free software and install it;

Step one; Go into your BIOS; bootup pressing F2_ Go to the Boot options TAB_ From there go down to Add new boot option_ There will be something about Path for boot options_ It'll give you a variety of paths, you have to go through it until you find bootx64.efi, once you find it press Enter and name that boot options as something you want it to be like Windows 10 Boot.

Anyhow save that boot option; Press F10 save Bios changes and reboot; Now Reboot pressing ESC, it should give you the choice to select which boot option you want; Select the new boot option you created; It'll boot you into windows.

Now Open up EASYUEFI_ Click on Manage EFI System Partitions_ Backup EFI System Partitions_ Now you'll see your disk partitions, you should only be able to select one(There will be a tiny white dot there, select it and itll turn red) Now just set your SAVE PATH_ Name it to UEFIBootbackup or something and save it.

Now go back to the previous Menu_ Select Rebuild EFI System Partitions_ Its going to ask you Please select desitination disk; Select the Disk which has your windows 10 installed on (Usually Disk 0)_ Now select both partitions with the white dot under Please select boot partition & Please select EFI system partition (ESP) you want to rebuild; (They will turn red once you select them both) Click Rebuild and let it finished.

Now go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\System Settings, Press on the words Change settings that are currently unavailable; You'll see the Turn on Fast Startup(Make sure to uncheck it) Now SHUTDOWN your laptop; Don't do a restart just SHUTDOWN_

Then power it back on; your problems should've gone away. Wait around and see if it'll come back_ THIS somehow worked for me_ I don't know why but now my laptop even when it sleeps it'll wake up from it and the screen won't stay black.

Kidfisto
Level 7
I dont think you realize how much did you help me, I was prepared to reinstall Windows, then see if it works, then install original windows from backup image I made = lot of time lost. Then
I would be left 3 weeks without a notebook because the repairs take that long. Thank you very much. I will try this procedure although I think you wrote it from your head, is there a tutorial online somewhere?

Greatfull,

I recently had similiar issues. My mouse would freeze ans system would stop responding, some times the screen went black or would display a bunch of computer generated non-sense file.
This had my Tech tryng for 2 weeks, thinking it was a software issue.

Then one day I went to my machines Graphic Display (Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 670M) and purchaced the latest driver, and this cured my problem. HAPPY NOW!!!!:D

Bills86e
ASUS G75VW-DS72
LG55LX6500 Display
A Green Weed to computing

Bills86e wrote:
I recently had similiar issues. My mouse would freeze ans system would stop responding, some times the screen went black or would display a bunch of computer generated non-sense file.
This had my Tech tryng for 2 weeks, thinking it was a software issue.

Then one day I went to my machines Graphic Display (Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 670M) and purchaced the latest driver, and this cured my problem. HAPPY NOW!!!!:D

Bills86e

This is your second post Ive come across today blaming Nvidia drivers that need to be purchased. Nvidia driver are FREE

You can download them at any time from Nividias website. If you bought them youve been pawned!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Kidfisto wrote:
I dont think you realize how much did you help me, I was prepared to reinstall Windows, then see if it works, then install original windows from backup image I made = lot of time lost. Then
I would be left 3 weeks without a notebook because the repairs take that long. Thank you very much. I will try this procedure although I think you wrote it from your head, is there a tutorial online somewhere?

Greatfull,

Yeah its from my head lol; its because I ran into this problem and ended up fixing it myself_ There really isn't any guides out there lol except for the quick post I made; Goodluck