cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To return or not return, that is the question.

AngryAce
Level 7
I am the owner of a new Rampage Edition 10. I didn't notice any issues with the board during bench testing and it works great with my 2x 32gb Corsair Vengeance LED kits. After getting it installed into my new case and getting everything buttoned up, I discovered LAN 2 (bottom port) doesn't appear to be working. It looks to be the 1211-AT controller. Both LAN devices are enabled in the bios but only the 1218-V controller shows in the device manager. If I plug a LAN cable into the port, it is dead, no lights or no internet connection. So unless there is something I am not aware of that needs to be done to get it working, it is dead.

So, do I return a great running board over a LAN port I won't use since I use one anyway or do I let my slight OCD take over and return the board since it will bug me knowing it doesn't work....??? 😛
4 REPLIES 4

Vlada011
Level 10
If everything work and you set all settings as you like I would not return. I would return if some important USB controller not work completely and several ports not work or some bigger things.
Anyway Rampage V Extreme have only one Port and that was risky. Now you are in same situation.:D I know ... No problem not exist but if one more die than you will have problem.
Than you need to move Sound in x4 slot and LAN Card in x1. Pay attention and always before storm disable one PC on PSU switch. and router.

Sometimes hardware with similar small problem work excellent years without problems.
Who knows maybe one day when you enter in Device Manager recognize and him.

Vlada011
Level 10
You have one more option usefull on RVE10 if you have CPU with 40 lanes.
Even if both port die, you can move sound card in PCI-Ex1 and install ROG 10G Express card in x4 slot.
Probably is your local ASUS Office capable to find. That's much better than onboard Ports but need 40 lanes CPU.
It's very smart decision to go with two different small slots, you can use Intel 750 or some other device.
Most important is to board CPU/RAM are stable and capable to pull max from them.

Catalonia
Level 7
AngryAce wrote:
I am the owner of a new Rampage Edition 10. I didn't notice any issues with the board during bench testing and it works great with my 2x 32gb Corsair Vengeance LED kits. After getting it installed into my new case and getting everything buttoned up, I discovered LAN 2 (bottom port) doesn't appear to be working. It looks to be the 1211-AT controller. Both LAN devices are enabled in the bios but only the 1218-V controller shows in the device manager. If I plug a LAN cable into the port, it is dead, no lights or no internet connection. So unless there is something I am not aware of that needs to be done to get it working, it is dead.

So, do I return a great running board over a LAN port I won't use since I use one anyway or do I let my slight OCD take over and return the board since it will bug me knowing it doesn't work....??? 😛

I would definitely return the MB. You've paid a crazy amount of money for a product that needs to work 100% no matter what. Even if you don't need that port now you never know what you can do with it in the future, or how can reduce the possible selling price of this MB if you ever think about selling it in the future.

Definitely yes, get a new one 100% operational.

Catalonia wrote:
I would definitely return the MB. You've paid a crazy amount of money for a product that needs to work 100% no matter what. Even if you don't need that port now you never know what you can do with it in the future, or how can reduce the possible selling price of this MB if you ever think about selling it in the future.

Definitely yes, get a new one 100% operational.

Well, after thinking it over and having an intermittent detection issue with my storage drive in addition to the dead LAN port, I decided to return the board to Newegg for a new one. Was in stock so I overnighted it back to them and today, OUT OF STOCK! So now, I could be sitting weeks without a board...... Getting Angrier! If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.... :mad: