cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Core Voltage locked? Should be dynamic.

Psychor
Level 7
So I just build a new machine:

• Asus Rampage 5 Extreme E10
  • G.SKILL Trident Z 32GB DDR4 3200 Mhz 14-14-14-34-2N (F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW)
  • See signature for further details

Motherboard settings are default except that I enabled XMP for my memory. I ran HCI MemTest for 24h+ via a USB book stick and the RAM appears stable (http://i.imgur.com/mgc1Uzyh.jpg).

I use AIDA64 in Win 10 Pro to monitor my hardware.

Questions:

• In Windows I notice that my CPU clock will hit 4 GHz. Turbo for the 6900K is 3.7 GHz. How am I hitting 4 GHz - can the XMP profile be causing this?
  • In Windows the CPU Core Voltage reports 1.250v. BIOS is set to auto. Even though I see the CPU clock down clocking when the PC is idle (drops to 2600 Mhz) I'm not seeing the CPU Core Voltage move down at all. On my R4E system, with a 3930K, AIDA64 will show the CPU Core Voltage going up and down depending on PC use, which is what I want.

I created an album of my BIOS settings: https://imgur.com/a/N5c06

Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

Legolas
Level 9
Psychor wrote:
So I just build a new machine:

• Asus Rampage 5 Extreme E10
  • G.SKILL Trident Z 32GB DDR4 3200 Mhz 14-14-14-34-2N (F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW)
  • See signature for further details

Motherboard settings are default except that I enabled XMP for my memory. I ran HCI MemTest for 24h+ via a USB book stick and the RAM appears stable (http://i.imgur.com/mgc1Uzyh.jpg).

I use AIDA64 in Win 10 Pro to monitor my hardware.

Questions:

• In Windows I notice that my CPU clock will hit 4 GHz. Turbo for the 6900K is 3.7 GHz. How am I hitting 4 GHz - can the XMP profile be causing this?
  • In Windows the CPU Core Voltage reports 1.250v. BIOS is set to auto. Even though I see the CPU clock down clocking when the PC is idle (drops to 2600 Mhz) I'm not seeing the CPU Core Voltage move down at all. On my R4E system, with a 3930K, AIDA64 will show the CPU Core Voltage going up and down depending on PC use, which is what I want.

Thanks.

http://ark.intel.com/products/94196/Intel-Core-i7-6900K-Processor-20M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz
Your Turbo Boost Technology 3.0 is pushing 4Ghz.
Sincerely,
Legolas

Psychor
Level 7
I checked Windows Power Settings and even if I set the profile to balanced to the CPU voltage will not drop. I'll see the CPU clock drop, but never the voltage.

Psychor wrote:
I checked Windows Power Settings and even if I set the profile to balanced to the CPU voltage will not drop. I'll see the CPU clock drop, but never the voltage.

Disable Fully manual mode m8 i think that is the cause of this it is right above the cpu core voltage

hehe nvm you are just 3 minutes ahead of me hehe 🙂

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Strap 125 speedstep is not available...

It is pretty easy to avoid XMP profiles doing this kind of thing....just set up RAM manually.....should be no problem to run that ram on 100 BCLK at rated timings. Just input these manually and set RAM speed manually as well a DRAM volatge.....

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Strap 125 speedstep is not available...

It is pretty easy to avoid XMP profiles doing this kind of thing....just set up RAM manually.....should be no problem to run that ram on 100 BCLK at rated timings. Just input these manually and set RAM speed manually as well a DRAM volatge.....

CPU Strap is set to 100Mhz in my BIOS.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Oh yeah..should have seen that in screenies..

That's strange...like you have manual voltage set...is XMP setting manual voltage?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Oh yeah..should have seen that in screenies..

That's strange...like you have manual voltage set...is XMP setting manual voltage?

CPU Voltage is set to AUTO in the BIOS. Images from my BIOS: https://imgur.com/a/N5c06.

Psychor
Level 7
I think I figured it out.

With CPU Core Voltage = AUTO and Fully Manual Mode = Enabled, the CPU voltage is locked.

But with CPU Core Voltage = AUTO and Fully Manual Mode = Disabled, the CPU voltage is dynamic.

What I don't understand is if you can set the CPU Core Voltage = AUTO why does that NOT mean AUTO in all situations?

Psychor wrote:
I think I figured it out.

With CPU Core Voltage = AUTO and Fully Manual Mode = Enabled, the CPU voltage is locked.

But with CPU Core Voltage = AUTO and Fully Manual Mode = Disabled, the CPU voltage is dynamic.

What I don't understand is if you can set the CPU Core Voltage = AUTO why does that NOT mean AUTO in all situations?

Fully Manual Mode is a special mode exclusively offered by Asus. Once enabled, will allow all six key voltages that are sent to the CPU to be set to a fixed value without the application of load-line (i.e. no voltage drop) rather than an offset from the voltage curve previously defined by Intel. Ideal for overclockers who are more used to traditional method of doing overvoltage. Note that under this mode, the CPU will no longer be able to lower any of the six key CPU voltages when the system idles down even if the CPU Power Saving Schemes such as EIST and the various C-States are enabled. Please disable this option if the use of the CPU built-in power saving schemes is desired.

If i am correct Fully manual mode doesn't have an auto option only disabled or enabled, it should be disabled by default but i noticed myself that after the bios update 0901 it is now enabled by default , i think this is not intended by Asus.

The Fully manual mode Is a Override and Cpu Auto Voltage doesn't work anymore