cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuttering? Low FPS? GTX 1070/1080

Morisato
Level 7
Say you watch some show you downloaded or maybe a youtube clip, anyone here experiencing stutters at the beginning? Apparently this is mitigated by changing the power management under NCP from optimal to max performance. At least for me it did.

Also, anyone get low fps sometimes? I hear changing vsynch under NCP again from 3d setting to off helps rid it.

Maybe this doesn't happen to newer systems as mine is 8 years old (planning upgrade next year) or maybe my i7 920 or ram is bottlenecking the system as a whole to cause such stutters at the beginning. Safe to say I never had stutters on the AMD 5870 Matrix before I upgraded to a Strix.
6 REPLIES 6

protos
Level 7
Morisato wrote:
Say you watch some show you downloaded or maybe a youtube clip, anyone here experiencing stutters at the beginning? Apparently this is mitigated by changing the power management under NCP from optimal to max performance. At least for me it did.

Also, anyone get low fps sometimes? I hear changing vsynch under NCP again from 3d setting to off helps rid it.

Maybe this doesn't happen to newer systems as mine is 8 years old (planning upgrade next year) or maybe my i7 920 or ram is bottlenecking the system as a whole to cause such stutters at the beginning. Safe to say I never had stutters on the AMD 5870 Matrix before I upgraded to a Strix.

no stuttering here. But the temps of the gpu seems to be a bit hotter. I use optimal, i like my system to be runnin cool.

protos wrote:
no stuttering here. But the temps of the gpu seems to be a bit hotter. I use optimal, i like my system to be runnin cool.

You and me both. Hopefully this is just a case of the system being old and the rest needs to be upgraded. Newer cards handle temps way better from what I can see as my old 5870 was running at 70c+ but the new Strix never really goes above 54c with max performance enabled. I'll try optimal again once I upgrade.

Chino
Level 15

Vlada011
Level 10
On your place I would clean everything and NVIDIA and ex AMD driver with DDU or Driver Cleaner Pro, off course in safe mode.
First uninstall driver and than boot in safe mode and clean.
Than choose Custom install and check Clean Install, only Display Driver and PhysX if you not use 3D, you don't need NVIDIA Experience.
I think with last driver and physx only situation should be better. You could overclock your CPU little because X58 is little old.
Still is good but you need all power from him.

Guess I will give that a try then. Yes, I always use DDU before upgrading to a new driver. Usually I just uninstall driver, reboot, DDU, reboot, install new drivers, reboot. Never really needed safe mode but I guess it doesn't hurt. Right now I am contemplating if 372.70 is better fps wise than 372.54 or not besides the minor issues it's fixed in the release notes.

Also, does it take about 4-5 minutes to DDU NVidia drivers for you? For some reason it takes about that long for me while it takes about 15-30 seconds for AMD. Not sure why that is the case. It stops at uninstalling drivers then stays there for some time before finishing up.

oops wrong thread