cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot Crash after overclocking.

D_Pain
Level 9
Hi, it might seem ridiculous, but I used Intel XTU and was overclocking the CPU in my Asus G751JT-CH171 laptop.

After appyling an XTU profile and restarting, I simply cannot get back into windows. The laptop keeps on crashing during windows login.
I also dualbooted Ubuntu in a seperate hard drive and I cannot boot into Ubuntu at all as well.
I can get into the BIOS settings.

Oddly, I can still boot into windows via safemode.

I believe I only have to reset my overclock values in XTU and then I would be able to login to windows normally again but XTU does not run in safemode.
I also completely disassembled my laptop and unplugged the CMOS battery and disabled the XTU service in safemode and tried logging back into windows. The only thing that happens was my boot options were reset, but my overclock values did not get reset.

Please, help this poor soul unbrick his laptop...

I do not have intel Watchdog installed. Could that be a reason why I cannot boot into windows?

Would this probably help solve my issue?
Removing all my RAM, boot the laptop, turn off laptop, putting back the RAM, rebooting.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-71728.html

Update:
oh wow I just had to click restore default in my BIOS.
Geez... after all that disassembly...
1 REPLY 1

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK good you got it sorted....yeah, all you need to do is clear CMOS or restore defaults in BIOS. 🙂