cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Tweak II Lag's system & Lock Up issue on RX 480.

Keiichi
Level 7
Hey everyone,

I got my new Strix RX 480 OC 8GB card, but there is a problem with the GPU Tweak software.
I've try'd all versions released with RX 480 support:
1312, 1332 & 1341

They all have the same problem, when I loaded them up it caused Windows to slow down and be very laggy on doing standard things like viewing system tray icons (doesn't even show up)
Highlighting, clicking, all things get delayed and the whole system is extremely slow. Then it will lead to the system locking up and needing to be forced restarted.

Uninstalling GPU Tweak fixes all problems so I know its the software causing this.

I've tried searching around to find others with this issue but the only things I find are old results of people having this issue on old hardware from years ago.

My current system specs if they help with any info with this issue are:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
ASUS P8Z77-V Pro Motherboard
i7 3770K CPU
Corsair HX1000i PSU
G.Skill 16GB 2400MHz RAM

Has anyone else been experiencing the same or similar issue?

@Bahz Through some recent testing I believe I might have found the cause of the issue but I am not entirely sure.
I noticed that the issue only happens when the monitor and/or the info tab is loaded. Changing the settings so that the monitor doesn't start when the program is loaded and not clicking the info makes it so the issue doesn't happen.

What I think is going on is that when either of those things are done the GPU-Z dll is being loaded and is the cause of the problem.
Looking at the version of the DLL ASUS is using its based off of GPU-Z v 0.8.9 however the newer releases after that have Polaris fixes so perhaps the issue lies with GPU Tweak software needing to update their GPU-Z DLL?

I wanted to test the latest 1.10.0 however I couldn't publicly get the 1.10.0 DLL anywhere (looks like you half to apply to get the GPU-Z SDK and access to the DLL's)
49 REPLIES 49

Airwolf
Level 7
I have this issue as well.
It happens when I switch to OC mode as well or when I open Aura and play around with the options.
I get graphical weirdness outside of the software and opening things takes a while.
If you open the Recycle Bin, the left side icons don't appear right away.
Rebooting corrects this.

I've tried many versions of GPU Tweak II and Aura. I'm currently on the latest for both.

Windows 10 Ver. 1607 with a STRIX 1070 OC

To add, I didn't have this issue with the STRIX 970.

Bahz
Level 12
Thank you both for the additional details, I'll contact our software team regarding this and have them look into it.

For giggles, I killed the Desktop Window Manager process and it fixed the issue when it reset.

Bahz
Level 12
Our software team recommend to try out this recently updated version of GPU Tweak (v1.3.6.0) it should have the updated DLL
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/vga/app/GPUTweak2_Ver1360_20160817.zip?_ga=1.56276265.32970578.1450...

The glitch is still there.

Just after the computer restarted from installing GPU Tweak II, I turned off the log, unlocked it from the main window and closed it.
Switched to OC Mode.
Went into the settings for GPU Tweak to stop it the monitor from opening on every restart like I normally do.
Checked off apply settings each time GPU Tweak starts.
Went back to Home and minimized.

I noticed the graphical glitch it did before with the task bar, so I opened the Recycle Bin and the icons did the same thing where it takes a while to load.
Clicking things in Task Manager takes while to show up etc...

Ending the Desktop Window Manager from Task Manager fixes this when it restarts the process.

So weird that I cannot recreate the glitch the same way each time.

I used the latest removal tool too before installing.

Airwolf wrote:
The glitch is still there.

Just after the computer restarted from installing GPU Tweak II, I turned off the log, unlocked it from the main window and closed it.
Switched to OC Mode.
Went into the settings for GPU Tweak to stop it the monitor from opening on every restart like I normally do.
Checked off apply settings each time GPU Tweak starts.
Went back to Home and minimized.

I noticed the graphical glitch it did before with the task bar, so I opened the Recycle Bin and the icons did the same thing where it takes a while to load.
Clicking things in Task Manager takes while to show up etc...

Ending the Desktop Window Manager from Task Manager fixes this when it restarts the process.

So weird that I cannot recreate the glitch the same way each time.

I used the latest removal tool too before installing.

I've had the same issue for 2 weeks using a Strix 1080. Been using MSI Afterburner instead 😞

Bahz wrote:
Our software team recommend to try out this recently updated version of GPU Tweak (v1.3.6.0) it should have the updated DLL
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/vga/app/GPUTweak2_Ver1360_20160817.zip?_ga=1.56276265.32970578.1450...

Thank you for the quick action Bahz,

Unfortunately the problem is still there. Whats worse though is what I did last time to try and avoid it (by not having the monitor or info tab loaded) it is doing it no matter what when the program loads.

I even downgraded to the previous one that worked if I avoid the monitor and info tab and it is still happening.

Makes me wonder if it has to do with whatever GPU tweak is doing setting wise that it applies to the Windows OS itself.

Bahz
Level 12
Thanks for testing it out guys, I'll be sure to update them and let them know it didn't fix the issue for you guys.

Just bought 1070 Strix and I got the same problem using the latest version of GPUTweak II. Any update on a fix?