cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I installed windows 10 anniversary update, I lost my factory reset option?

fnTASY
Level 7
Where did it go? What if I want to factory reset?
10 REPLIES 10

xeromist
I lost a few settings too. It seems the anniversary update was more like the Win10 installation than a patch. Would have been nice to know that before the update.

Anyway, Win10 does have a "reset this PC" option so you can still do a reset but it won't have an ASUS software load. I know some people actually prefer that anyway.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

fnTASY
Level 7
If I reset though, I'll still have windows 10. I want windows 8.1, but if I use the media creation tool my laptop will probably break because i need touchpad drivers, display drivers, and that's a pain. I really need it back

Kind of late now but this is the reason we keep HD/SSD Images, If you happen to have one somewhere you could extract the 16 GB recovery partition with Backtracker or some other software.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Well just go get the drivers you know you going to need and make a fresh install of Windows 8.1 If your notebook came with 8.1 Windows activation server should recognize your hardware and auto activate. Nowhere near that much of a pain if you have your data backed up.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

fnTASY wrote:
I want windows 8.1

Can you explain why? In almost every respect Windows 10 is a better OS than 8. If you're having difficulty with something perhaps you just need help with Win 10? The issues I've had with 10 were things like not wanting Cortana and my VPN software not working, but those things are fixable. While annoying it's still easier to fix them than rolling back.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
The issues I've had with 10 were things like not wanting Cortana and my VPN software not working, but those things are fixable. While annoying it's still easier to fix them than rolling back.

"VPN software not working" - are you using comodo or any other A/V or internet security apps ?
I know that cisco's VPN app got some issue when combined with comodo firewall - although latest update from cisco solves this issue, a temporary fix can be achieved by uninstalling any 3rd party component by going into wifi/eth card properties (found on the same list as IPv4, QaS etc...).

About Cortana - have you check the scripts/tweaks for win10 I recommended in my windows installation guide ( see sig for link )?
One of these tweak tools can block/disable the keylogger found in any win10, and the other can tweak your UI of windows/edge etc so that cortana stay hidden and disabled ( although not uninstalled, unless you want to and can do it through the same "tweak script" ).
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:
"VPN software not working" - are you using comodo or any other A/V or internet security apps ?
I know that cisco's VPN app got some issue when combined with comodo firewall - although latest update from cisco solves this issue, a temporary fix can be achieved by uninstalling any 3rd party component by going into wifi/eth card properties (found on the same list as IPv4, QaS etc...).

About Cortana - have you check the scripts/tweaks for win10 I recommended in my windows installation guide ( see sig for link )?
One of these tweak tools can block/disable the keylogger found in any win10, and the other can tweak your UI of windows/edge etc so that cortana stay hidden and disabled ( although not uninstalled, unless you want to and can do it through the same "tweak script" ).

I fixed my issues. The VPN is ancient and I'm not sure I can use anything newer until my work upgrades the gateway. I was able to work around it installing Dell's tool to get the missing dll or whatever it was. However when the Anniversary update installed it uninstalled it again. Thanks Microsoft!
I killed Cortana by renaming her binaries. The anniversary update also undid that but I just killed her again. Hopefully Microsoft learns to update PCs without changing settings as this could get old fast.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Strange you lost your factory reset. Mine is still there. There is also the option to go back to the previous build.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Anyone? Windows 8.1 was better. Booted in 5 seconds, while Windows 10 is kinda slow and clunky. I just need the factory reset option back