cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme - Edition 10 - Issues & Overclocking

flamemc
Level 7
Hi Everyone

So ive just upgraded from my Rampage V as I had bios issues (Need to RMA)

I now have the Rampage V Extreme 10 with the 6850K and so far the board itself is rock solid very happy 😄

Now to the issues and advice part, one of the issues i have is with the plastic "peely" that was attached to the top left IO heatsink, basically there was one on top which came off really easily, but there was a second with a pull tab underneath, the damn thing would not come out no matter what i did, so half of its stuck in there and the other half ripped off, I also used tweezers to try and loosen it but ended up scratching the god damn thing it was protecting :mad: anyone else had this issue?

The other problem I seem to be facing is with my CPU fan control, I currently have my top rad (8fans) connected to the fan header and on boot and below 75% the fans flash (ramp up and down quickly) Im assuming this is because im going over the 1amp maximum for the port, I have also populated the 3amp port with the bottom rad (8fans) and that seems to be fine.

Now the next thing I wanted to double check was my overclock, seems pretty good but wanted to check if there was anything else I could tweak (up or down)

Memory - XMP 2800mhz (Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666)
CPU Ratio is set to 44 (4.4GHz)
Cache Ratio is set to 36
Voltages - CPU 1.37v / Cache 1.15v / CPU input Voltage 1.920v / Memory 1.35v / Everything else set to auto

I have stress tested for 6 hour with asus realbench, accidentally left HCI memtest running for 8 hours overnight (fell asleep) and also ran a few benchmarks and cinebench and all seems very stable, max temp on the cpu was 70c tended to bob around 65c on most cores.

Thanks again for any advice you can give.
10 REPLIES 10

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, had the sticky plastic issue http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?86588-Asus-ROG-x99-rampage-v10-plastic-sticker-issue 😞

The fans....sounds like a recipe for disaster...sure use the headcer for pwm function but power the fans from the PSU would be better...they make thingummyjigs for this...

Ah damn didn't find that thread when I looked about the stuck plastic, will have to try my card to get the rest out 😉

I guess i better order a fan molex connector, with PWM control.

Do you think the fans are ok for the next few days, or should I disconnect a few as my cooling is slightly overkill anyways.

flamemc wrote:
Do you think the fans are ok for the next few days

The thing is the rating for current on fans is their running current draw not their peak startup draw which can be a lot more...

I would just go better safe than sorry...especially as you say maybe they are not 100% necessary at the moment...

Brighttail
Level 11
1.37 v seems a bit high for 4.4. I got mine at 4.4 with 1.33v with cache at 1.35. Each CPU will be different for sure.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Brighttail wrote:
1.37 v seems a bit high for 4.4. I got mine at 4.4 with 1.33v with cache at 1.35. Each CPU will be different for sure.

So I assume my cache voltage is maybe a little low 1.15? and my cpu voltage maybe too high?

Chino
Level 15
You should put some fans in the other headers so you don't overload a single one. Or just buy a fan controller. 🙂

marcopai
Level 7
my 6850k is stable after 10h stress test with aida 64 at 4.2 ghz cache 1.350 and v.core to 1.23 , should i push more? Im using a h115i from corsair
i have this: bla bla bla rog this rog that heh

marcopai wrote:
my 6850k is stable after 10h stress test with aida 64 at 4.2 ghz cache 1.350 and v.core to 1.23 , should i push more? Im using a h115i from corsair

I have a 6850K as well and overclocking the cpu to 4.2 has no performance increase at all over the XMP profile boost to 4GHZ. My scores actually went down in various tests that I've ran. There's no benefit whatsoever. So why create headache?

curban422 wrote:
I have a 6850K as well and overclocking the cpu to 4.2 has no performance increase at all over the XMP profile boost to 4GHZ. My scores actually went down in various tests that I've ran. There's no benefit whatsoever. So why create headache?

because i want to push it to 4.4 ghz 😞 thats why i'm having headache
i have this: bla bla bla rog this rog that heh