Intel i5 6600k ( not overclocked)
2x8Gb Gskill Ripjaws 3200
EVGA GTX 1070
Cooler Master Evo 212
Seasonic 550
250 Gb SSD
1Tb HDD

Windows is installed on the SSD.

1) When i turn on the PC the Boot_Dev Led lights up until windows start loading ( i mean the other Q-Leds are off...). Is that normal ?

2) In the Bios, the only bootable device is the HDD... but windows is installed don the SSD....

3) The Ram is Correctly shown (2133Mhz) in the Bios. But when using monitoring Software like Speccy i am getting like 1600Mhz with an unknown description

Thank you
19 REPLIES 19

Nate152
Hi christlzzz

Welcome to the ROG forum and congratulations on your new build !

1) Yes

2) Did you have only the ssd connected when you installed windows?

3) Have you enabled XMP? DDR4 stands for double data rate, double 1600MHz and you have 3200MHz.

Thank you for your reply... 🙂

1) so boot_dev LED is normal...but why the others doesnt also light up if it is only testing ?i mean i dont recall seeing the LED lighting up when i first turn the Motherboard on...:confused:

2) Both Drives ( HDD and SDD) were installed when i installed windows. BUt i specifically clicked on the SSD drive when installing windows...:confused:

3) ok thank you 🙂

4) new question: when i turn the PC on i get the following screens: ( First i get Asus Logo with the message press F2 or Delete to enter bios then i get some kind of text concerning my drives and then i get thAsus Logo again and finally the windows booting logo..) i guess something is wrong with drives or their parameters in the Bios..RAID or AHCI ...)

Thank you

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If you install windows with other drives apart from the target drive the install can add partitions to the other non target drive.

If you did a UEFI install of OS...in Boot option priorities there should be an option "Windows boot manager" select this as first in boot order..

It sound like the boot is hunting for the right place to boot from...i.e. your current boot priority order is not in the right order.

This is what Nate was getting at...but he's having a Siesta right now it seems 😉

So... yesterday after going back home, i tried the following:

1) booted on the bios screen and deactivated Intel Rapid Storage Management and disabled the boot option for the HDD
2) restart the PC and booted on W10 Usb stick...
3) ran the Windows installation and formated the SSD and HDD
4) created a 500 mb partition on the SSD
5) Windows insalled its files on the SSD and the Boot stuff on the 500mb partition of the SSD
6) booted normally : Asus logo and then Windows logo and it was FAST like 10 seconds or so

7) after i did all the updates and driver installation i decided to OC the Ram from 2133 to 3200

😎 restarted into the bios and activated the XMP profile then it booted normally but now the Post takes a bit longer to do its checks... maybe the Ram OC had something to do with this ?

Christian

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, that would likely be extra time for memory training....

Okay Thank you...

The booting ( from pushing the power button until windows login) take about 25-30 seconds. is it abnormal ?

Thank you

Christian

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I'm not 100% on this but it doesn't sound necessarily slow. I hear fast boot times but it depends on some settings...like fast boot enabled in BIOS...fast startup enabled in windows.

People waking from sleep/ hybrid sleep etc etc etc.

When it boots...do you watch the boot codes as it does so....do you notice if any of them pop up more than once...it may be that RAM training needs to cycle once or twice to get RAM locked in...which would take a bit of extra time...

If you have raid setup then this will take extra time too...

Can you tell us the exact RAM kit you have...

Do you have "windows boot manager" as first boot priority now?

OK..so thats a better description:

i push the button, Fans and LEDs turn on , the Q-LED starts cycling CPU, DRAM, VGA, and BOOT DEV ... each leds lights up then turn off only 1 time. Meanwhile screen is still black (no signal)
After Q-LED cycling, ASUS Logo appears with press F2 or Delete to enter bios, its stays there for like 3 seconds then windows logo appears for like 2-3 seconds then login screen.

i guess its the windows start up programs that takes most of the time..,.

i have Gskill RipjawsV 16 gb ( 2x8) 3200.

Thank you

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
In the boot menu of BIOS there is a "post delay time"....you could set this to 0....might shave a couple of seconds off...

But all in all it sounds pretty "normal"