cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot time is too slow

wcoffee
Level 7
hi all

has i mentioned in the title my boot time is too slow around 2.5 minutes.
i just bought new components

mb asus x99 rampage V 10th edition
proc: intel core i7 6800K
ssd samsung 950 pro m.2
32 Gb ram corsair dominator

i've upgraded the bios to the version 0801 but still no results

can someone help?

thank you
14 REPLIES 14

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi wcoffee 🙂

That is slow...

Can you tell us if that is a fresh windows install (UEFI install)...

Exactly what RAM...kit number...if that is a single quad channel kit

Is the board cycling through the same boot codes a few times on the way to os loading ? or is the pause at OS loading...?

There is a newer BIOS for the board...have you cleared CMOS....switched BIOS chips?

hi.. thanks for you're reply..

so its a clean install.. i've upgraded all parts.
the memory is corsair ddr4 3200 Mgz 4x4 GB
the main image of asus apears at startup stays like that for like 20 seconds...then all black and it reappears again for 20 seconds and another 50 seconds
to windows 10 main window appear.

i have tried to mess up at bios.. changed only the boot priority to the samsung 950 pro m.2, fast boot is on, changed type from ahci to raid 0
and on memory i selected the fastast memory speed to 3200 instead of auto.

it got a bit faster but still it takes about 40/50 seconds to startup

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Sorry wcoffee...I do really need to confirm that the memory is a single quad channel kit...not mixed dual channel kits of same type etc.

If you did a UEFI install of the OS the first boot priority should be "Windows boot manger"

When you install you should only have the target SSD installed no other drives...as windows sometimes places partitions on other drives.

No point in the AHCI to RAID0 change if you have no raid drives...will slow boot time.

To run memory at rated specs you would either have to set up manually which would mean more than just selecting 3200 in BIOS....you would have to set DRAM voltage as well as primary timings. Or easier to test use the provided XMP profile...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell/2

sorry ... its a single quad channel kit ( i think) 4 slots empty 4 slots full ...the full are all in the same rank ( abcd like in the manual discription)
i had to change to raid because when i rebooted the bios told that it could not boot to windws because of the priority of disks ( change from ahci to raid)

you think i should put the bios to default mode and do a clean install only with the m.2 ssd installed?

this is the reference of the memory : CMD16GX4M4B3200C14

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Righto...sorry to be insistent but the number of problems from combined kits is too many to ignore the possibility...

That memory should be great.

So yes, maybe I would do a clean install if you have the time. Make sure only the 950 pro is in and make sure you do a uefi install
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?30520-RAMPAGE-Windows-8-7-UEFI-Installation-Guide

If I were you I'd make a bootable usb of the latest windows iso that has the anniversary update included...version 1607, build 14393.105

RAID should be totally unnecessary in this case...not sure what happened there...

Install to M2 disk...make sure "windows boot manager" is first boot priority and then install other drive when everything is up and running smooth...

thanks for you're help..

ill be doing that this afternoon and get back to you

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Nah, you're welcome...OK let us know how it goes 🙂

hi..

i just finished the installation... and everything is much better.

just one thing.. i went to the bios and put on the overcloclck file xmp ( i think it was its called) it'ts 17% base overclocled.. but when i push the start button
the mb does somekind of coponant scan and it take about 5/6 seconds... is that normal?
and one other thing my sonic studio stoped working just now after a reebot due to windows update.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes...memory training might take a bit longer at XMP...

How long is the entire boot now? lot less than 2.5 minutes I trust?

The windows updates are causing havoc...not sure when that will be sorted out...