cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having problems booting

Babafat
Level 7
Hi i'm new here and am here to try and resolve my problem.

My rig,

Component Selection Base Promo Shipping Tax Price Where
CPU
Intel Core i7-4820K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler
Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard
Asus Rampage IV Black Edition EATX LGA2011 Motherboard

Memory
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Kingston Predator Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

Storage
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card
Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10

I recently purchased my 1070 so I took out my old card and put in my 1070, however when booting the pc i got 2 problems:
1. It did not load the BIOS or Windows (all I got was the ROG boot up screen)
2. My MOBO turned on the BOOT_DEVICE_LED

I kinda get what is wrong, but I searched for other threads regarding this problem but the solutions did not fix my problem.
I would be very grateful if someone could help me
8 REPLIES 8

xeromist
Does it still boot when you change back to the old card?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

At first I tried that as well I unplugged my new one and inserted my old one but it still didn't boot. But it could very likely be the video card because that was the only thing i changed.

xeromist
I dunno. If it won't run with the old card then it's most likely something else going on. It could be that in working with the card you bumped a loose connection somewhere. I would check everything to make sure it's seated properly (power, storage, everything). Also that board has a good number of slots so you may want to try the card in another slot in case there is any issue with the slot.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I've been puzzling all day and reset my CMOS and updated my BIOS and moves my video card. I FINALLY got the bios to work but the hard drive usage is still 0 can you help?

xeromist
I would try a different sata cable and a different sata port as one of them might be faulty.

I tried different cables and different ports but they it doesn't seem to work. I start booting up windows then i get the Preparing Automatic Repair screen from Windows and then it shuts down.

xeromist
I know there used to be an issue with changing between IDE and AHCI modes. I don't think it was ever fixed. Basically if you installed Windows in one mode and then changed the setting in the BIOS it would break. This sometimes bit people who did a BIOS reset which changed the mode. Any chance the mode currently set is not the mode you used for install?

If I'm reading your specs right your using two different types of ram. Have you tried booting with just two "like" sticks of ram instead of all four?