cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VS Touchpad Issue...!

AvengeTheRev
Level 7
I have been noticing that for some reason, if you drag a window or anything else for that matter using the left mouse button (as opposed to double tapping the touchpad and dragging) the mouse seems to skip around the screen... almost as if snapping onto an invisible grid, as to keep movements on a perfect X / Y axis. Anyway... this has become extremely frustrating when trying to fine tune parameters in programs that require dragging the mouse over something and adjusting it slighlty. Even when simply attempting to highlight a string of text it becomes difficult due to the inaccuracy when doing this. This does not happen when double tapping and dragging. When done this way, the mouse remains accurate, but loses the accuracy as soon as you push down the mouse button(s).

has anyone else come across this, or would be able to confirm that this is some sort of annoying "feature"? If so... is there any way that this could be disabled? Or at the very least some sort of workaround.

Thanks! 😉

EDIT:
So randomly I opened up my laptop from sleep, and I found that the mouse was no longer having the issue described above... but also, none of the multi-touch features were working.

Meaning, I was no longer having the stutter issue when dragging things while holding down the left mouse button. I restarted my laptop to see if I could get the multi-touch functions to work again, and once started again, the multi-touch was working again; I could two-finger scroll and whatnot again... BUT the stutter issue came right back.

This leads me to believe that it HAS to be a driver issue or something that can be fixed with software. I am not sure if or how to replicate this, but I have tried nearly everything to fix this problem. I have reinstalled drivers countless times and to no prevail.

EDIT #2:

-- Copied from a further post -- "I e-mailed ASUS about this issue, and they replied by telling me to reinstall the drivers......... even though in the e-mail I specified that I had already done so multiple times.

Not only that, but they told me that "If all else fails, employ the use of a USB mouse."

ARE YOU SERIOUS? I almost laughed at that comment. Yes, I use a mouse for when I have a table available to me, but THIS IS A LAPTOP. THE TOUCHPAD NEEDS TO WORK CORRECTLY WITHOUT OVERSIGHTS LIKE THIS ONE."

EDIT #3:

-- Copied from a further post -- I have also noticed that the installed drivers, or at least those that are visible to us like the ASUS PTP driver and the ASUS Smart Gesture drivers, don't actually seem to do anything at all. If you change any of the parameters and optionsit doesn't actually affect the touchpad configuration. Even deleting the visible touchpad drivers doesn't change anything whatsoever. The touchpad continues to work as "normal"; same stutters, gestures and all. The only way to change any settings is through the Windows 10 settings. Would that mean there is some driver that is overriding even the manufacturers own drivers?

EDIT #4:

-- Copied from a further post -- "I was able to pinpoint which driver is causing the issues. It is definitely the ASUS Precision Touchpad driver. Once unistalled and restarted the computer, it fixes the stutter problem all together. That being said, just like when the driver crashes, it disables all gesture support. So... It is definitely a problem with that driver specifically. I have tried installing other drivers afterr unistalling the the ASUS PTP driver, but I have been unsuccessful in getting them to work."
57 REPLIES 57

AvengeTheRev
Level 7
So randomly I opened up my laptop from sleep, and I found that the mouse was no longer having the issue described above... but also, none of the multi-touch features were working.

Meaning, I was no longer having the stutter issue when dragging things while holding down the left mouse button. I restarted my laptop to see if I could get the multi-touch functions to work again, and once started again, the multi-touch was working again; I could two-finger scroll and whatnot again... BUT the stutter issue came right back.

This leads me to believe that it HAS to be a driver issue or something that can be fixed with software. I am not sure if or how to replicate this, but I have tried nearly everything to fix this problem. I have reinstalled drivers countless times and to no prevail.

I am having the exact same issue, it is really really irritating when trying to select text.

I have also had a situation where the smart guestures stopped working when I was using an external mouse.
A restart fixed the guestures but I hadn't noticed the touchpad issue yet.

If I find a solution I will let you know.

One observation I made was that when you use an external mouse to click and then use the touchpad to move the cursor, the touchpad works fine.

EOGHANM wrote:
I am having the exact same issue, it is really really irritating when trying to select text.

I have also had a situation where the smart guestures stopped working when I was using an external mouse.
A restart fixed the guestures but I hadn't noticed the touchpad issue yet.

If I find a solution I will let you know.

One observation I made was that when you use an external mouse to click and then use the touchpad to move the cursor, the touchpad works fine.

I am glad I am not the only having this strange issue. I tried plugging in my mouse, clicking on the mouse and moving the touchpad, and I do not have the stutter, the same as you. Have you tried double tapping to drag? Doing this avoids the stutter... but it is extremely inconvenient and annoying in most scenarios.

But yes, I can confirm that the time that I woke up my laptop and the gestures were not working, I was not having the stutter issue anymore. As soon as I restarted, though, it came right back.

And yes, PLEASE let me know if you find anything... it's driving me insane when trying to adjust parameter knobs in my music programs. And simple things like highlighting text are frustrating lol. Ive done extensive searching and their doesnt seem to be anyone else with this issue. Not even anything similar on other laptops, so I had to post something about it.

Luckily, I can confirm that it is just a software/driver issue; now... what is it.

hexaae
Level 12
It's a trivial issue indeed for a top-class laptop... I wonder if ASUS does really test recent models or not...
What about this bug for predecessor G752VY https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84635-G752VY-G751JY-everlasting-bug-of-USB-3-0-left-port-r... ? The problem was unreliable USB 3.x ports on the left side often disconnecting if you attach 3.0 devices like external HDs.... Still present also on G752VS?
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

hexaae wrote:
It's a trivial issue indeed for a top-class laptop... I wonder if ASUS does really test recent models or not...
What about this bug for predecessor G752VY https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84635-G752VY-G751JY-everlasting-bug-of-USB-3-0-left-port-r... ? The problem was unreliable USB 3.x ports on the left side often disconnecting if you attach 3.0 devices like external HDs.... Still present also on G752VS?

Hmm... The only thing I have used on the left-hand side has been my mouse. I have yet to experience this issue. Regardless, this is extremely frustrating as it is an obvious driver issue. A driver issue that was temporarily "fixed" thanks to a glitch. Now... they can't figure out how to properly fix it? Lol.

If this were a $300.00 Toshiba or something of the sort I would probably have shut up by now. But this is RIDICULOUS for a laptop like this.

I e-mailed ASUS about this issue, and they replied by telling me to reinstall the drivers......... even though in the e-mail I specified that I had already done so multiple times.

Not only that, but they told me that "If all else fails, employ the use of a USB mouse."

ARE YOU SERIOUS? I almost laughed at that comment. Yes, I use a mouse for when I have a table available to me, but THIS IS A LAPTOP. THE TOUCHPAD NEEDS TO WORK CORRECTLY WITHOUT OVERSIGHTS LIKE THIS ONE.

They asked me to download their Smart Gesture Drivers... and as it turns out not only do they not fix the problem, but the Control Pannel tab for ASUS Smart Gesture doesnt actually do anything. Changing any of the parameters does not change anything. In order to change any of the mouse/touchpad settings you have to go through the Windows 10 settings instead.

Do ASUS mods ever reply to forum posts? Let alone look through them?

hexaae
Level 12
My advice: don't waste your time with official ASUS support... Ask to community.
If you can, please test the left port USB issue with an external HD or something else 3.0 requiring some power. It's a recurrent problem of many recent ASUS ROGs (G751JY, G752VY and others...) and would be very happy to know they FINALLY have fixed it.
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

hexaae wrote:
My advice: don't waste your time with official ASUS support... Ask to community.
If you can, please test the left port USB issue with an external HD or something else 3.0 requiring some power. It's a recurrent problem of many recent ASUS ROGs (G751JY, G752VY and others...) and would be very happy to know they FINALLY have fixed it.

Any sites you would recommend to relay this issue to?

Thanks...!