cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix X99 Gaming dead?

eagreen
Level 7
Hi all,
I'm posting this hoping someone could help me with my issue. I already tried contacting Asus about this but their online contact formular doesnt seem to send out my message.
2 Days ago my PC just turned of. Instant Power down, but the decorative LEDs on the mainboard stayed on. No burning smell, so i disconnected the mains, waited a few minutes
and tried starting it again. As soon as i switch on my PSU the deco LEDs begin to fade up and down, Power and Reset LED at the bottom of the board turn on, but nothing
happens when i hit the start button except that a small red led right above the CPU socket turns on, no fans start, no beeps, no errorcodes displayed.
What i already tried:
- Start the system outside the computer case -> same behaviour
- Unplug the PSU and check if it starts when jumped, its working and delivering the desired voltages on all connectors. i cant tell if it failes under load
- Start the system without GPU -> same thing
- Without memory -> same thing
- Without CPU -> same thing
- Disconnect everything but the PSU -> same thing
- reset bios settings didnt change anything
- checked the board for burn marks and smell, couldnt find any

The red LED that turns on when i try to start the mainboard is just called "PLED1" on the pcb and not described in the manual, also couldnt find any information about
what this means on the internet.

This is what it looks like when i turn on the PSU:

and thats what happens when i try starting it:

My System was running fine for about 6 or 7 weeks. Is there any way to fix this? Or should i just return it for a new one?

Thanks in advance 🙂
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hi eagreen

Welcome to the ROG forum.

I see the motherboard LED readout does not light up when you start it, this usually points to a faulty motherboard or psu.

Chino
Level 15
List your complete system specifications please. Then do the following:

1. Put the motherboard on top of the cardboard box that it came in.
2. Install your CPU, heatsink, memory and GPU.
3. Connect a monitor to your GPU.
4. Connect the 24 pin, 8 pin and 4 pin power cables to the motherboard.
5. Clear your CMOS.
6. Push the Start button.

Report exactly what happens.
1. Is there any image on the monitor?
2. What QCODE is being displayed on the DEBUG_LED?
3. Do any of the 4 QLEDs that are beside the 24 pin power connector remain?

Thanks for your answers 🙂 my specs are:
Asus Strix X99 Gaming Motherboard
Asus Strix GTX 1080 OC GPU
Intel I7 6800k CPU
G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4-3200 RAM (2*8GB)
Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Heatsink
Corsair TX850 PSU

Assembled it in the motherboard box with a monitor connected. Same behavior as yesterday :
When i switch the PSU on the deco LED's on the motherboard turn on, PWR and RST led turn on, the red LED's near the GPU power connector are white and indicating
that 12V supply is present.
When i hit the start button the little red "PLED1" right above the CPU socket turns on, nothing else happening. Nothing on the monitor, no fans turn on (not even the PSU Fan),
no beeping, no QCODE displayed, none of the QLED's near the 24pin connector turn on.

Thank you all for helping me with this 🙂

I tried it with another PSU, when hitting the start button i can hear the short protection in the PCU "click".
Returned my mainboard now 😞
Thanks for your help !

kkn
Level 14
got the same on mine, even a brand new PSU did not boot it, just a "click" and nothing.

Hello sir, any news regarding this matter?

Did you solve your problem?

Same exact problem.
Power supply is fine and tested on other mobo(s).
System clicked off in middle of browsing session.
No Q-Code, PSU Fan will not start, only a faint click is heard, when power button is pressed.
Deco LEDs are on and pulsing.

Anyone have any ideas on this issue?