cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme - BIOS update loop on boot

crammus
Level 7
Hi there
A friend recommended I post here because we're out of ideas. I know some stuff, but don't assume too much. I'm fairly terrified of fiddling with PCs as they've caused me all manner of stress over the years. I've googled my problem a lot, but it feels like such a weird incident I've not found anything that matches it. So hopefully you guys can help me out.

I've written a shorter tl;dr version first as I tend to waffle, then a longer, more detailed version below.

Firstly, here are the specs of my PC, which was bought in June this year:

Case: NZXT H440 Black/Red (ATX)
Processor (CPU): Intel Core i7 5930K (6x 3.50GHz)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme/U3.1
Memory (RAM): 16gb Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 (2x 8gb)
Graphics: Asus 4GB GTX 980 STRIX
1st Hard Drive: 240gb Kingston V300 SSD, SATA 6Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
2nd Hard Drive: 3TB SATA3 Hard Drive (UDMA600)
Optical Drive: External DVD Writer Drive (USB)
Power Supply: 850w Corsair RM850x Modular
Processor Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100 240mm Liquid Cooler
Processor Cooling Fans: 2 x 12cm Red Corsair Ring Static Pressure Fans
Case Fans: 1 x Red Corsair Ring Quiet Fan
Operating System: Windows 10 Home (64 bit)
BIOS: 3009

Here is the TL;DR version:

Currently my PC will enter an 'Updating BIOS' loop on boot under certain conditions. I'll get the first boot screen with ASUS ROG logo, then a message saying “BIOS is updating. Do not shut down or reset the system to prevent system bootup failure.” The PC will then restart, and I'll get the same message. This happens 4 times in total, before going to the Windows loading ASUS ROG logo screen then into Windows.

The only constant condition of when this happens is if my PC has been turned off, during the day, while I'm at work. So around 8+ hours. If it's been turned off overnight while asleep it seems to boot up fine in the morning.

For the past week I've been under the assumption that this was caused by my external 3TB USB HDD being plugged in. This was a mystery in itself and I was going to write this post concerning that anyway, but today it's just happened without the Ext. HDD being plugged in, so now I'm out of ideas.

-----

Here is the longer version with a bit of history of what's happened since I got this PC back in June.

I won't name the company that built my PC for me, but while I'm not a technophobe, I don't feel confident with PCs and they've caused me all manner of stress over the years and my PC know-how is fairly limited, so I decided to have a company build me a custom gaming PC as opposed to building it myself. However, they've not been completely helpful with this problem, trying to blame Windows or anything else but never taking responsibility.

The evening I received it I noticed a problem already. When I powered off the PC I tried to turn it back on, but while the PC itself powered up the monitor (DVI) and keyboard/mouse (USB) would not come on. The only way I could get it to boot up with the monitor, keyboard and mouse to also come on was to flick off the PSU switch, wait, flick back on and then turn the PC back on, where it would boot up with the monitor, keyboard and mouse. Trying to put the PC into Sleep mode would also have similar results, with only the PC waking back up, but no monitor, keyboard or mouse.

I called the company who built it and explained the problem. However, while on the phone it powered up normally. I didn't realise at the time, but this is because it had been powered off all night. So we assumed it was a glitch and was now fixed.

It did the same again that night. I found a 'fix' by unchecking 'Turn on fast start-up' in the System Settings. Or keeping fast start-up on, but telling the PC to never turn off the hard drives. The company wanted me to just leave fast start-up turned off, but this was a brand new system that should all be working, so I wasn't satisfied with that 'fix'.

I did a bit of googling, and lots of people were saying to update the BIOS. I checked the current BIOS and it was 1701 from Sept 1st 2015. I updated to the latest version at the time (3009) using a USB stick in the BIOS screen. It seemed to work ok, but then I started getting the 'BIOS is updating' loop as mentioned above, followed by a prompt to enter the BIOS to recover the boot setting.

Got back on the phone to the builder who said I should send it back to him and he'd take a look. He also said he'd ask his contact at ASUS to see what they thought, who got back to him, telling him to update the BIOS.

They installed the latest BIOS for me again, set the RAM correctly in the BIOS (something I had not done as I was not aware I needed to – like I say, my PC know-how is fairly limited) and then after keeping the system for a few days without incident sent it back.

I got it back, turned it on and got the same 'BIOS is updating' loop. My heart sank. I then thought I'd try unplugging the external USB HDD. Maybe the system was trying to update the BIOS from a USB drive? It booted up ok. I plugged the HDD back in. Restarted. Booted up ok. So I thought it was fixed.

That lasted a month or so and now, over the last few weeks I'm getting the 'BIOS is updating' loop again. It seemed to coincide with Windows updates, but then it would happen even after there hadn't been a recent update.

I went back to my external HDD theory and kept it unplugged during boot for a week, and it all seemed to work ok. Until today.

I've come back from work only to find the same BIOS update loop on boot-up, but this time the external HDD was unplugged. There WAS a windows update the night before last – and this is the first time the system has been off all day since that update – but it still feels like a weird long shot.

If anyone has any ideas I've love to hear them. Also, if any other info is required then I'll be more than happy to supply you with it.

Below are a few shots of the BIOS boot menu if that shines any light on the situation.
http://imgur.com/gallery/Vcp6K

Thank-you
David
13 REPLIES 13

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Things I would try..

Switch to second BIOS chip...see if problem is the same

Flash BIOS 2101 bios flashback method on current BIOS chip...see if problem is the same

See this post maybe http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46802-please-i-need-help-with-Rampage-Extreme-iv&p=398383&v...

I find it pretty strange that a company would build you a RVE system and then only put in dual channel RAM...this is a quad channel system....:confused:

Thanks very much for the reply.

The system is still under warranty, so I'll call the company and let them know as removing the side panel will invalidate the warranty at this time.
Useful info though. I will update if it's successful.

crammus wrote:
Thanks very much for the reply.

The system is still under warranty, so I'll call the company and let them know as removing the side panel will invalidate the warranty at this time.
Useful info though. I will update if it's successful.

While you may prefer to just send it back to them under warranty, a BIOS flash of the current chip would not mean opening the case.

I have to say though, opening the side panel can surely not void your warranty!..since the buttons on the board such as BIOS change button reset/start etc etc are meant to be used...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
While you may prefer to just send it back to them under warranty, a BIOS flash of the current chip would not mean opening the case.

I have to say though, opening the side panel can surely not void your warranty!..since the buttons on the board such as BIOS change button reset/start etc etc are meant to be used...

I know. It's a bit silly. They've put their little 'warranty void if broken' stickers around the seals. If I just ring them and let them know they should be alright with that though.

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
If it's still in the warranty period, it's better to send it back to them and have them deal with it. 🙂

Yeah, it's already been back to them once. All current 'fixes' are things I've found myself.

crammus wrote:
Yeah, it's already been back to them once. I don't have too much faith in them to be honest. All current 'fixes' are things I've found myself.

Yeah, you can fix it yourself and I would recommend you doing so actually. But if anything goes wrong, the shop will probably blame it on user fault. If they are willing to let you fix it and stand behind their warranty, then all is good.

Vlada011
Level 10
Side panel sometimes need to be opened because some buttons on ROG motherboards.
Seller should know that. CMOS example button, or mem OK. Or disabling some PCI-E slots, changing BIOS switch,...
If you want to use 100% capacity of high end motherboard as Rampage you need to have full access to motherboard.
Maybe seller installed Dual Channel and than if you change something they could explain you You destroy your warranty, you shouldn't open side panel.
You should tell to us.

Sorry all. Think I've been a bit of an idiot here. Just looking in the manual and I can switch to chip 2 via the BIOS menu, right? Using the BIOS Flashback 'Force BIOS1/BIOS2 Boot?