cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G.Skill Tridentz 4000 Mhz XMP profile freezing

Reb00tas
Level 7
Hello I bought a G.Skill Tridentz 4000 Mh (19-21-21-41) kit today. But when i activate XMP profile it boots fine and after entering windows it freezes after 30 sec no mather where i am (login screen or using the pc)

its running fine without XMP profile enabled. Any suggestions what can cause that my PC is freezing ?

CPU: 5820K
Motherboard: X99 Extreme
SSD: SM951
GFX: Evga 1080 FE
PSU: Corsair RM1000

Thanks, Casper
8 REPLIES 8

Craig
Level 8
It's really the Memory controller on the CPU that will determine weather or not you can run stable at 4000mhz. You will need to adjust the voltages in the bios. The 2 main ones would be the System Agent Voltage and the memory voltage. Make sure your CPU is running at stock when doing this. It will take any stability out of the equasion.

Can you post what voltages XMP sets for these 2 please.

Craig wrote:
It's really the Memory controller on the CPU that will determine weather or not you can run stable at 4000mhz. You will need to adjust the voltages in the bios. The 2 main ones would be the System Agent Voltage and the memory voltage. Make sure your CPU is running at stock when doing this. It will take any stability out of the equasion.

Can you post what voltages XMP sets for these 2 please.

Its running stock. And voltages is:

Agent: 1.080v
Vccio CPU: 1.045
Vccio pch: 1.043

So it depends on CPU ? So if i replace the 5820k with a newer one like 6800k it could maybe help me ?

Reb00tas wrote:

So it depends on CPU ? So if i replace the 5820k with a newer one like 6800k it could maybe help me ?

It all comes down to the silicon lottery.

Reb00tas wrote:

I wouldn't bet on that.
So far I've had/built about half a dozen Broadwell-E systems, none of which did more than 3200 Mhz out of the box.
Like other's said in the thread, your specific kit is not made for X99, and it also heavily comes down to the silicon lottery (which means each individual processor, not SKUs!).

If you really need that high RAM speeds, i.e. you have a very specific application that profits from that, I would advise you to manually tune your settings.
That is, loosing your timings, strengthen the system agent voltage and maybe playing around with the strap.

A general rule of thumb for X99 CPUs - at least what I experienced - is:
* Haswell-E does about 2800-3000 Mhz without user interference (if you get a good IMC that is)
* Broadwell-E about up to 3200 Mhz

Anything above normally requires manual tuning (unless you get lucky of course).

Hope that helps in any way.

TL;DR: I'd advise against throwing in another 500 bucks just to get another CPU that might or might not work as you'd expect; rather go for manual RAM tuning - that's what the platform is about anyways. 😉

Onimax
Level 8
4000 Mhz on Haswell seems a little bit - optimistic - to me.
As Craig said it all comes down to the IMC of your CPU, but I have never seen a Haswell (E) CPU doing 4Ghz out of the box.

Menthol
Level 14
The memory kit you are referring to is for the Z-170 platform not X-99, 4000mhz is tough for any Z-170 platform to rum, X-99 platform cannot run memory at that speed
Check for memory that is compatible for the platform you have, DDR4 is not all the same

jab383
Level 13
I have that Tridentz 4000 Mhz (19-21-21-41) kit and recently used it above full speed with a z170 and i3 6320. Works great.

I'm totally amazed that your Haswell-E CPU boots into Windows with 4000MHz RAM speed. That CPU may be golden since it goes that far at that rate. My opinion is that another CPU would very likely be worse. My approach would be to back off RAM speed manually until Windows is stable, then tighten timings. If you're interested in manual RAM tuning, that might be a good approach.

Reb00tas
Level 7
Thanks for all your reply's
I ended up with 16-16-16-36-T1 at 3333Mhz
vccio and agent: 1.1v

I didnt know that ram speed has anything todo with the cpu just noticed asus added support for 4000mhz for some time ago 🙂

Thank you all